RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > General Scanning Discussion

General Scanning Discussion For general questions not specific to a model of scanner or general discussion of use of a scanner. Location specific posts should be directed to the regional forums listed below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2010, 11:32 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadSpleen85 View Post

"Call dispatch" or "Public Service dispatch" - I want to hear what is going on or I wouldn't be sitting here with four scanners!

This one says it all!
Sponsored links
Old 07-11-2010, 12:40 AM

In no order

1. encryption
2. unprofessional dispatchers
3. interference from computer
Old 07-11-2010, 10:09 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd7rto View Post
Police having to respond to some busybody's foolish complaint.
I was in the garage messing around and listening to the scanners, and my boy was in the driveway, burning a sign for my shack with a magnifying glass (it came out really good). all of the sudden I heard my street called out on the radio for a code 4, less then 5 minutes a cop pulls up, said a lady called us, the LEO was really cool, and we chatted for a bit about my ham station, and he complimented my boys work on the sign.

Annoying things I hear... I can't think of anything, other than signal flutter, guess I need to get my antenna higher.
Old 07-11-2010, 1:55 PM

Let's see:

1. When an officer decides to go out of the range of his repeater (A lot of the stations here in Seacost NH are repeated), to the point where his portable won't make it back. The dispatcher checks endlessly, starts to move a unit to his location, THEN he gets a brain, jumps in his car and goes "Oh, still out, didn't realize portable didn't make it". Maybe those 5 checks were a clue?

2. P25 not making it back to dispatch. We have one system here (Newmarket) that's notoriously bad for this. They dispatch a rather large town about 5-10 miles south of them (Stratham, large in land mass but not population) and their antennas are nowhere near good enough to do this. The powerful radios in the squad cars sometimes can't make it back to dispatch on the far town lines, and their portables are a lost cause, causing "Unit 760 you went digital" endlessly, until a Newmarket officer that can pick it up relays for him. It happens a fair bit on the county channels, too.

3. The non standard ten codes drive me up a wall. In my town, a traffic stop is a 10-94, while one town over it's a 10-89, and on the county system, it's "Out with" even though they use ten codes for everything else! Drives me nuts having to remember them all.

4. The fact that fire dispatch around here loves to repeat back what the firefighter says. Like "A1 Exeter, off at Exeter Hospital, ending mileage 86." "Received A1, off at the Exeter, ending mileage 86". It gets SOOOO annoying because the do it EVERY time.

5. My local PD likes checks WAY too much. They're on a 3 minute check schedule causing the officer to get frustrated and eventually say "All set, no checks" on a longer traffic stop. The other departments are anywhere from 5 to 10, which doesn't annoy the officers nearly as much.

6. Stations that are mixed mode. My scanner takes a very short period of time to figure if the transmission is analog or digital when I don't have the squelch type set up, which isn't that long of time, but when you consider most people start talking the second they hit the button, it causes the first word to be dropped. Pick analog or digital, it's not that hard.
Old 07-13-2010, 2:08 PM

I know LA City has an old law on the books making any radio capable of picking up police frequencies illegal, but it's never enforced, and probably wouldn't stand up in court if it was
Sponsored links
Old 07-13-2010, 6:40 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

In Akron Oh after an officer clears a call they always say 23(in service) and thanks to all the backup, or 23(inservice) thanks to car 9 for the backup. They say this all day and all night. Of course you are thankful for the backup, if you are not are you going to say 23 and no thanks to car 9. Its a nice jesture but it means nothing when you say it after every call.
Old 07-13-2010, 6:59 PM

Most anoying words: "Comencing traffic stop ""AT THIS TIME"", Of course at this time who would call it in an hour early.... and I hate birdies
Old 07-13-2010, 7:18 PM

The wife starts talking just as the scanner has something interesting.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:44 PM

Most annoying;
When the dispatchers have an unknown open mic and are telling the coworker about the pajamas they are going to wear tonight at home for the man, or other personal stuff that should not be heard on the air.

I'ts a real treat when the info gets juicy and you hear numerous units yelling "open mic dispatch", but it continues on. LOL!

And that's Pittsburgh city dispatch for you folks.
I can't really complain about Lancasters dispatch, it is pretty top notch.

Last edited by Benzman66; 07-13-2010 at 10:47 PM..
Sponsored links
Old 07-14-2010, 12:34 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I hate it when someone keys up a radio next to someone else with a radio and you get that horrible feedback noise into the microphone. And even though the person causing it can hear there is a loud feedback they still continue to try to talk into the radio. Turn the other darn radio off or volume down before transmitting geez...

The worst is in dispatch too. Someone will walk in there with their portable on full volume and the feedback is just horrible.
Old 07-14-2010, 12:27 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Most annoying:
1) call dispatch re a call (you have a radio USE IT !)
2) silence
Old 07-14-2010, 12:42 PM

Location: Drexel Hill, Upper Darby Twp, Delaware Co, Pennsylvania, USA-Close enough?

Switch to blah, and blah doesn't freakin' exist!!! So then you sit there waiting as the guy who was told switch calls in vein to the other guy, whose already moved on to this mystery channel.

--and--

This might be because I was a commo guy in the military, but the way every agency talks on the radio around here. (I blame craptastik training, and DELCOM dispatchers). They all sound like there sitting at a bar. "Yeah," "hey," "okay," "what?," "sure," "got it," "a'ight" (or however one would spell it), "my bad" . Or even better when a unit calls DELCOM they'll say 22, DELCOM, and then DELCOM will say 22, DELCOM. Who is calling who!?!?
Old 07-14-2010, 12:47 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim202 View Post
The wife starts talking just as the scanner has something interesting.
Or when she says turn that contraption off and come to bed.
Old 07-14-2010, 12:49 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexus View Post
I hate it when someone keys up a radio next to someone else with a radio and you get that horrible feedback noise into the microphone. And even though the person causing it can hear there is a loud feedback they still continue to try to talk into the radio. Turn the other darn radio off or volume down before transmitting geez...

The worst is in dispatch too. Someone will walk in there with their portable on full volume and the feedback is just horrible.
I usually get feedback through the speaker, not the microphone.
Old 07-14-2010, 1:46 PM

When they spell out every letter of the name,first and last name!,A..Adam,H..Henry..etc..Just say the name,alot easier,less effort and less time.Its difficult to catch the name if you're not paying close attention.

Last edited by Earwave; 07-14-2010 at 2:16 PM..
Sponsored links
Old 07-14-2010, 2:04 PM

The nightly pager tests that consists of nothing but tone after tone after tone, which seems to go on forever.
@kc2kzz - My Twitter feed. @WCAlerts - Warren County Fire/EMS alerts
Old 07-14-2010, 4:01 PM

#1 An officer saying "disposition is on the MDT" followed by "EXCELLENT disposition"!, by the dispatcher.

Knowing from the earlier traffic that this is the 4th time in 2 days that officers have been sent to investigate weird, obviously bogus complaints made by a woman that has mental problems, it would be interesting to know how the officer handled this rather annoying situation that caused the dispatcher to respond "Excellent disposition".

#2 Like Earwave, hearing the simplest, most common names spelled out phonetically. Does the officer really think that the dispatcher couldn't figure out "Smith", or "Smith, common spelling".

#3 Two commercial fishermen having an extended conversation regarding what price they are getting for various sizes and species, ON VHF MARINE CHANNEL 16 (hailing and emergency channel).
This was happening as I'm trying to listen to Coast Guard sector SE New England get the details of a boat on fire.
Old 07-14-2010, 4:10 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by WA1ATA View Post
#3 Two commercial fishermen having an extended conversation regarding what price they are getting for various sizes and species, ON VHF MARINE CHANNEL 16 (hailing and emergency channel).
This was happening as I'm trying to listen to Coast Guard sector SE New England get the details of a boat on fire.
Out here on the west coast, The CG will quickly tell those guys to move to another channel. They do not allow conversations on 16.

BCD396XT BCD396T PSR-500 FRG-100 PRO-43 PRO-90 PRO-2050 FT-857 FT-90 VX-170 VX-3
RS 20-176 | Maxrad MFB8133 MYA8256 MUF8043 MLB3400
Old 07-14-2010, 11:40 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by cifd64 View Post
I usually get feedback through the speaker, not the microphone.
It takes a microphone and a speaker in order to create feedback.
Old 07-15-2010, 1:25 AM

License & registration of every vehicle that stopped at my house over 48 hour period,,lol,,back a few years.