Most annoying thing to hear while listening to scanner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ousportsfan1

Ok so I am very new the the police scanner hobby, but I have learned real quick if I had a dollar for everytime I heard "Received" I could buy me a nice little Digital Scanner..... sheesh I wish I could program the scanner to skip at that point rather periodically through the rest of the chatter. LOL...however I really do enjoy being nosey, and knowing before the local NEWS or CNN hahaha

So please post what is the most annoying thing you here while listening to your police scanner.

ousportsfan1

Unfortunately, he's referring to his "better half". Why don't you buy her a brand new 396XT so she can enjoy the hobby too! :D

WOW...I have alot to learn I dont know how you possibly got that from xYL.....funny thing is for months I searched for a scanner on CL and wife was irritated and didnt understand why i wanted one so bad. HA she listens to my pro 107 more then i do...she actually takes it in the car with her and plugs it up to the AUX so she can hear it through her speakers...LOL

kayi4cle

Premium Subscriber
WOW...I have alot to learn I dont know how you possibly got that from xYL.....funny thing is for months I searched for a scanner on CL and wife was irritated and didnt understand why i wanted one so bad. HA she listens to my pro 107 more then i do...she actually takes it in the car with her and plugs it up to the AUX so she can hear it through her speakers...LOL

It's ham radio terminology.

CCHLLM

In ham lingo, YL usually is considered Young Lady, referring to a girl friend, and when you marry 'em, they become eXtended Young Lady. Or so the legends go. I guess there were no female amateurs when all that shortcut terminology came about.

Annoying things in listening>

On the analog side: squelch tails that can't be defeated and long repeater hang times.

On the amateur side: obnoxious "courtesy" tones.

On the digital side: R2D2 audio that occurs with high bit error rates (weak signals).

Last edited:

ScanWI

MN & WI DB Admin
Database Admin
DATA BURSTS especially if they are louder then everything else you're listening too

brandon

Database Admin
  • pager intermod
  • ethernet/router noise
  • P25 encryption
  • spanish
  • high pitched fire tone outs when volume is way up
  • nextel qrm
  • old farts on HAM repeaters talking about their medication refills
  • OTAR - Over the Air Rekeying

Last edited:

n5ims

Ok so I am very new the the police scanner hobby, but I have learned real quick if I had a dollar for everytime I heard "Received" I could buy me a nice little Digital Scanner.....

A few questions about this...

How come that they always are transmitting when they say "Received" (well, at least they are whenever we actually hear them say it)?

Do they say "Transmitted" after releasing the transmit button, but we can't hear it since they're now receiving, not transmitting?

How many other ways do they say basically the same thing as "Received"? I know of 10-4, QSL, Roger, and the longer Roger Wilco (short for "Will Cooperate" for those that don't know). Any others?

My favorite things that they say include:
* "Call dispatch" - why can't dispatch simply call them since I'm sure that their dispatch knows the phone number for their own officer's cell phones. Especially if dispatch knows that they're where a phone call will be safe.
* "See MDT for call details" or "See MDT for address" - while I understand that some details should remain private, it still is a pain to not hear the details.

DPD1

The LASD diagnostic tones that go through every channel for an hour every night.

R1VINCE

annoying things heard...

In no particular order:

1.squelch hysteresis
2.EDACS beeps
3.overmodulation
4.battery indicator
5.scrambled voice

Status
Not open for further replies.