RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > General Scanning Discussion

General Scanning Discussion For general questions not specific to a model of scanner or general discussion of use of a scanner. Location specific posts should be directed to the regional forums listed below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-24-2010, 9:48 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Default FBI seeks `Scanner Bandit' accused of robbing two Whittier-area banks

Maybe criminals do use scanners.

"A new serial bank robber dubbed the "Scanner Bandit," who began his crime spree with robberies in Norwalk and Whittier, has branched out southwest to Torrance, authorities said.

The Scanner Bandit earned his moniker from the FBI, "Based on witness descriptions that he carries a device in one hand, described as a police scanner," FBI spokeswoman Laura Eimiller said in a written statement."

Read more at: FBI seeks `Scanner Bandit' accused of robbing two Whittier-area banks - Whittier Daily News

EOM
Sponsored links
Old 12-24-2010, 12:06 PM
Completely Banned for the Greater Good
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

"Maybe criminals do use scanners."

Maybe? Why do you think so many departments are going encrypted? It's articles like this that only toss fuel on the fire and you didn't help any by posting it here.
Old 12-24-2010, 12:26 PM

I'm thinking that the linked surveillance picture looks kinda like Radio Daze's avatar.
Old 12-24-2010, 12:36 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by khzairwave View Post
I'm thinking that the linked surveillance picture looks kinda like Radio Daze's avatar.
Now hold on just a minute! How did I get dragged into this?

Actually, the bandit probably looks more like ME than my avatar.

Unfortunately, Warren's right; this cannot help our cause at all.
Old 12-24-2010, 2:43 PM

one bad apple ruins it for all the good folks. wow this is really making a bad name for the scanner hobbyists
Sponsored links
Old 12-24-2010, 3:59 PM

Anybody think this is the first case of this?

I've seen cases of bad guys using stolen two-way handhelds. For that matter, you don't have to steal them. You can buy them all over the web foir a couple of hundred bucks (with the encryption modules) and get all the programming details from sites like this.

No secrets here.
Old 12-24-2010, 4:08 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

That right, Police departments think going encrypted, will stop peolpe from hearing them. all new Motorola radios Xts-5000s to name one ,come with encryption and with right info being around internet you can program them to hear encrypted systems.
Old 12-24-2010, 4:36 PM

I think the point here is that they are connecting the robberies to the same person based on the scanner......If he'd also been wearing a Santa suit in every robbery, then there might be no mention of the radio.
Besides, in the case of a bank robbery, how does the perpetrator benefit from having the scanner?
They know all banks have alarms........At least I assume that.
Knowing that, one would think it's just a matter of speed, and lot of luck.

If he had been listening to a stream on a wireless device however, he would probably be behind bars.
There have been several robbery cases solved by obtaining cell phone records of wireless devices in the vicinity near the crime scene........In one case, a woman was caught on camera talking on her cell phone while she robbed the bank !
In another case, the same cell phone showed up in the vicinity of 2 separate bank robberies.
Old 12-25-2010, 8:46 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

"Now hold on just a minute! How did I get dragged into this?"

Must be those gladiator movies you're so fond of.

"Besides, in the case of a bank robbery, how does the perpetrator benefit from having the scanner?"

Because the local gendarmarie transmits the radio call, when he hears the dispatch it's time to scram. DOH?

"If he'd also been wearing a Santa suit in every robbery, then there might be no mention of the radio."

No, but immediately raising suspicion and sending the entire bank into a state of panic is the sure fire way to get nabbed before he even gets near the teller cage. (;->)

"In one case, a woman was caught on camera talking on her cell phone while she robbed the bank!
In another case, the same cell phone showed up in the vicinity of 2 separate bank robberies."

I may have seen that on The Smoking Gun Presents: America's Dumbest Criminals. Hmmm, I'm just a bit surprised Danny Bonaduce is a cast member and not the most featured "guest". (;->)
Sponsored links
Old 01-01-2011, 1:12 PM

Next thing you know Whittier PD will use this situation in order to justify getting encrypted radios.
Old 01-01-2011, 1:34 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Now THAT'S a sure bet!
Old 01-01-2011, 5:01 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker845
That right, Police departments think going encrypted, will stop peolpe from hearing them.
And it probably will.

Quote:
All new Motorola radios Xts-5000s to name one ,come with encryption
Not all, it has to be ordered with encryption. You order it without, you dont get crypto.

Quote:
And with right info being around internet you can program them to hear encrypted systems
Wheres this info at? Most systems use OTAR or Over The Air Rekeying. The crypto keys change weekly or monthly. You dont have the exact key they are using, even having a 3 in place of a 2 and all the rest of the key correct, you will get nada. Now, if its something like speech inversion, you just have to find the frequency it is inverted at, and flip it back. Other crypto types, such as DES-OFB, DVP, and things like that, you wont be listening, unless you have a supercomputer that is CIA level.

Now yes, if you have a two way radio, you can get all the programming info from sites like this, but if they are encrypted its no use.

Last edited by KD8CPP; 01-01-2011 at 5:03 PM..
Old 01-01-2011, 5:11 PM

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb2vxa
Maybe? Why do you think so many departments are going encrypted? It's articles like this that only toss fuel on the fire and you didn't help any by posting it here.
Exactly!!

I hate this robbing scumbags!
Old 01-01-2011, 7:09 PM

And I hate the way that any receiver becomes "a Police scanner" in any news report.
"He was seen with a device that looked like a Police scanner"

It was probably an FRS radio he was using to talk to the getaway car!

As if any of the witnesses would know what a scanner was or what one looked like to begin with.

Commscanaus.
Old 01-01-2011, 8:08 PM
Mentor
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker845 View Post
That right, Police departments think going encrypted, will stop peolpe from hearing them. all new Motorola radios Xts-5000s to name one ,come with encryption and with right info being around internet you can program them to hear encrypted systems.
Not even close to correct I'm afraid. 100% guarantee you wont your local police departments encryption keys 'around the internet'.
Old 01-02-2011, 7:43 AM

Location: RLG, Fly heading 053, intercept 315 DVV, look for the SAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb2vxa View Post

Because the local gendarmarie transmits the radio call, when he hears the dispatch it's time to scram. DOH?
Unless they use MDT. Doh! In Fort Collins that's all they use. No need for encryption at all. It serves it's purpose. And to think Orange County use full blown ENC. Tisk, tisk!

POLICING THE POLICE
Old 01-02-2011, 8:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker845 View Post

Lets clear up one point that you just made. Just because you may have a radio with built in encryption, that doesn't mean your going to be able to listen to the encrypted conversation.

In order for that built in encryption to work to decode the conversation, you will need the "ENCRYPTION KEY CODE" used for that talkgroup or radio group. In some departments that have a high security level, these "KEY CODES" may be changed on a daily basis.

With the number of codes possible, it would take a good number of years to crack the code. Plus by the time you managed to stumble on the exact code, it would have long since been changed. Plus you would need a "KEY LOADER" device to put the code into the radio. These cost about $3000 so I would doubt that many are willing to shell out that kind of money to just sit there and enter a code, turn the radio back on the radio channel and see if it works. You would spend hours just going through a few code attempts. Plus you would have to wait until some radio traffic came on to see if you just happen to stumble on the right code.

The idea that you will ever be able to listen to encrypted conversations is a moot discussion. It needs to die on the vine and not be brought up again.
Old 01-02-2011, 8:36 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

here in CT I can name 2 departments right off the top of my head that have no business even having encryption that do. They serve rural areas and the most important thing they would put over is that mr. jones cow got loose again or someones dog license info. Publicizing the fact that this guy "may have" a scanner just adds fuel to the fire for departments to go coded. We just had a few other departments go encrypted here over the last few months and it's always security issues. I can see a department using encryption on an investigation but not for dispatch and normal stuff. A bunch of guys actually sued the Milford Police here for going encrypted and know where that's gone - the case is YEARS OLD - absolutely no where. Jim is right though it would take quite a bit of time to "crack" an encryption code. and cost alot of money. frankly I can see departments going digital for added security but not dig/enc

joe
Old 01-02-2011, 1:02 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Smile Fbi & scanners

About four years ago Gene Hughes told us at a Southern California Monitoring Association meeting about an article he had read from the L.A. Times, were the FBI had stated that only 1% of crimes in the United States had police scanners used. Thank god, the numbers are low!
Old 01-02-2011, 5:55 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by joetnymedic View Post
frankly I can see departments going digital for added security but not dig/enc
joe
Oh, but if they go digital ("for added security" WTF!!!), then the WHINERS who don't have a digital scanner will be crying about how their civil rights are being violated & taxpayer dollars are being wasted, just like you & the other ninnies are crying about encryption.