pro 95, pc interface

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryland

I just bought a pro 95, I have downloaded Win 95 succesfully however I have not been able to program the pro 95 with it. I am using a cable bought from radio shack that is supposed to work. How do I use Win 95? Can someone help me with some directions on how to use this software. Thanks.....

Pro-95

The cable you need is 20-289. Any other cable will not work. The software is pretty straightforward. Let us know after you make a connection. Put some basic frequencies into the radio then do an upload. If that works, you are on your way.

ryland

I have 20-289 cable.....when I upload freqeucnies, the writning data window appears and a progress bar, this completes seemingly without problem but nothing changes on my scanner, in other words the frequencies I enetered into the software do not appear on my scanner. Thanks for your help

Pro-95

ryland said:
I have 20-289 cable.....when I upload freqeucnies, the writning data window appears and a progress bar, this completes seemingly without problem but nothing changes on my scanner, in other words the frequencies I enetered into the software do not appear on my scanner. Thanks for your help
Do the above. Right place, right comport. If that fails there is a very small hole just above and to the right of the POWER connection. This is a reset switch. Read the instructions in the back of your manual and perform a reset then turn-off turn-on the scanner and try uploading to the scanner again. If this fails turn off the scanner and then turn it back on, while the "Welcome to Dual Trunking" is being displayed press 0 then 1, this will complete re-initialize the scanner. Wait until this operation is complete then turn off / turn on the scanner and try again. Let us know how that goes.

(You do have a fresh set of batteries in the scanner right???? I've seen weaker batteries "confuse" the scanner before.)

ka2mek

Hi RYLAND
Welcome to the board!
Pro-95 gave you some good solid advice here!I wanted to ask you what type of ant were you planning to use for 800mhz?would it be the ant supplied with the radio or are you going to use another type of ant to monitor trunking systems with?I know that getting it programed is your first priority but just wanted to ask that question,and RYLAND you are now in the right place here for support in your endeavors, these folks are really sharp and on the ball for shure,good luck and happy scanning sir.
73!
Robert-KA2MEK

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
ryland said:
I echo the others' Welcome!

It is possible you have a bad cable. Try downloading from the radio to the software and see if you get a new window with what is already in the radio. Alternatively, find someone else with a Pro-95, 93, 92, or even a 96 and see if you can get the cable to work on that radio (with appropriate software of course.)

ka2mek

Loumaag
Question?If Ryland has NO access to another rig to try this reverse proceess of programing with another PRO, do you think it would be a viable option to take it to the local radio shack and have them check this out or is that just a BAD idea? :?
-Rob

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
ka2mek said:
Loumaag
Question?If Ryland has NO access to another rig to try this reverse proceess of programing with another PRO, do you think it would be a viable option to take it to the local radio shack and have them check this out or is that just a BAD idea? :?
-Rob
Don't know. Maybe Pro-95 can answer that, he works for RS, not me. :D

fireant

ka2mek, I myself have a pro 95 and use the radio shack 800MHz Scanner Antenna catalog number 20-283 it is a great antenna for the 800mhz systems although you lose a little reception on conventional I am sure others here would agree with me on this

fireant

Pro-95

ka2mek said:
do you think it would be a viable option to take it to the local radio shack and have them check this out or is that just a BAD idea? :?
Damned good idea! Even if your local Shack doesn't know what they are doing you should be able to hook up to their Internet center or Compaq demo computers to see if it works. Both should have access to the 'net so you could have a copy of Win95 running. Not to mention that by showing them Win95, they will probably be grateful as RS pushes an un-modifieable version of ScanCAT-lite on the stores to program radios. Also by simply plugging in a 1/8" patch cable you can clone from one 95 to another. This will help in identifying if the PC/IF port on your 95 is A-OK. Remember if it's made by humans, it's not 100% guaranteed to be flawless. ;)

ryland

Wow! I really feel the love in this place! I have printed this page so that I can follow all of the advice. As for downloading to the software it says "waiting for header" and then it times out and that's it. I am hesitant to reset the scanner seeing as how I have already manually programmed in 200-300 channels. I am using the port for pc on the side opposite power. I am not sure how to select the right com port, maybe that is the problem. No access to another radio. Maybe it is a bad cable seeing as how the one I bought was the last one and already opened. As far as antenna I am using the stock one. I do not have 800mhz in my area.

Thanks again...

ka2mek

ryland said:
Maybe it is a bad cable seeing as how the one I bought was the last one and already opened.
Ah Hah!
Caveat Emptor!!! {{{let the buyer beware!}}}
Yes you did not mention this till this post and as this now unfolds I would say "BAD CABLE".Bring it back (if you can )and try elsewhere for another new in an unopened box or one from someone who knows it is 100% good,I belive this shall end all your frustration and make you a happy scanner programer.Let us all know how it turns out for you.
73! (Best Wishes in Ham Speak)
Robert-KA2MEK

ryland

Ok, I replaced the cable and still cannot program with pc. I am using 20-289 and win 95. There is no indication by the scanner readout that the cable is even connected, it just turns on and begins scannignlike normal. Still at square 1!

pro92b

Mutated Member
Premium Subscriber
This was lifted from the Win96 help file and it applies to Win95 as well. Follow all the steps until you get it to work.

Connecting the Scanner

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. If you already have an available serial (COM) port, skip to step 2. Otherwise, connect a USB-to-serial adapter:

a. Plug your USB adapter into an available USB port. Follow the instructions supplied with the adapter to install any required drivers, etc.

b. If you don’t know what COMx value was assigned to the port, use Device Manager (in Control Panel) to view “Ports”. Make a note of the COMx value used by the adapter.

2. Plug the DB-9 Female end of the programming cable into an available serial (COM) port. For information about supported cables, follow this link.

3. Plug the cable’s 1/8” mono plug into the PC/IF port on the right-hand side of the PRO-96.

4. If the scanner is powered ON, the display may or may not indicate “Clone Mode”. This is highly dependent on the cable you use. For example, the original GRE (grey) cable doesn’t seem to cause this display, while the “Purple” cable does. If the display doesn’t change to “Clone Mode”, don’t worry (yet) – we’ll verify that the cable works in the next few steps.

Verify that you’ve connected the scanner properly, using Win96:

1. Turn the scanner ON.

2. Launch Win96.

3. Under Win96’s Configuration menu, select Serial Port….

4. Make sure the selected COM port number matches the COM port to which you attached the scanner.

5. Click the OK button to close the Serial Port Configuration window.

6. From the Scanner menu, select Download from Scanner (or press CTRL+D).

7. Win96 will attempt to start a download operation, retrieving the scanner’s current settings. The scanner’s display should indicate that it’s in Clone Mode, and that it is sending data.

If the scanner does not begin sending data, or if Win96 displays an error message (e.g. Unable to open the COM port, timeout waiting for header, expected to read back data, etc.), you should attempt the following one at a time:

1. Double-check to ensure that you have the correct COM port selected.

2. Make sure the programming cable is firmly seated in the scanner’s jack and in the PC’s 9-pin connector.

3. Make sure that no other software is using the serial port. The usual suspects include PDA “sync” software, such as Palm’s HotSync. You must either close such software, or temporarily disable it (so that it’s no longer using the port).

4. Under Win96’s Configuration menu, select Serial Port…, and try each of the following:

a. If you’re using a USB adapter, try checking the Extra Write Time option.

b. If you’re using a home-built cable, try checking the Set RTS Line High option. If you’re using a GRE or Purple cable, make sure this item is not checked.

c. If you’re using a one-way cable, make sure the Enable “Readback” Tests item is not checked. (Note: a one-way cable cannot be used to download from the scanner; you can only upload to the scanner with this type of cable).

5. If no combination of the above helps, you should try another computer. There have been rare instances of serial port hardware that cannot drive the electronics in the interface cable.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

© 2000-2003 Don Starr. All rights reserved.

ryland

FOR SOME REASON THE PORT IN THE FRONT OF MY COMPUTER DOES NOT WORK, BUT THE PORT IN THE BACK DOES. SO NOW I AM IN SCANNER HEAVEN THANKS TO ALL YOUR HELP!

Dubbin

Feed Provider
ryland said:
FOR SOME REASON THE PORT IN THE FRONT OF MY COMPUTER DOES NOT WORK, BUT THE PORT IN THE BACK DOES. SO NOW I AM IN SCANNER HEAVEN THANKS TO ALL YOUR HELP!

Are you saying that this whole time you was using a USB adapter to hook the radio to the front USB ports? Thats what you must have been trying to do since there would not be a serial port in the front. You really should have told us this to help solve the problem :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.