Less hassle from Law Enforcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

rngr2000

I see people on here from time to time mentioning that they get hassled or questioned about their scanners and/or radio equipment in their vehicles. My experience seems to be quite the opposite. Ive been speeding several times, say 60 in a 45 or 45 in a 30 and went right past police, either in traffic or parked on the side of the road running radar and most of they time they will throw up a hand and wave at me. Not just the locals either, I've been in other states and counties and experienced the same. My wife says all the antennas on my truck makes me look like a police vehicle so maybe they think I'm one of them...lol. I don't think this is true I have no intention of looking anything like a law enforcement vehicle. Im not saying I have some kind of special privileges or immunity, I'm sure one will get me one day, but this is just an observation of mine I thought I would pass along and get yall's comments on the matter.

Attachments

• rngr2000-albums-pro-163-picture3289-truck-antennas.jpg
    rngr2000-albums-pro-163-picture3289-truck-antennas.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 1,916

ratboy

Premium Subscriber
The last one (Perrysburg, Oh TWP Police) that stopped to ask me about my car (2010 Challenger R/T), which happens constantly, heard my Pro-106 going and asked me about it and left and came back and we cloned my radio to his PSR-500, solving a couple of minor issues he had been having. I've never been hassled by the cops about a scanner in my car, ever,in 25 plus years. They usually just want to talk about it.

GrumpyGuard

Cops and Scanners

My wife says all the antennas on my truck makes me look like a police vehicle so maybe they think I'm one of them...lol. I don't think this is true I have no intention of looking anything like a law enforcement vehicle.

First of all, nice truck. It looks like any other Ford work truck out there. Our local PD uses pickup trucks but they tend to be the stripped down government contract vehicles. I have had scanners and amateur radio equipment in my car for years and have never been pulled over. I was talking on the radio to a fellow ham a few years ago and he was pulled over just after our state started enforcing a new cell phone law that incorporated use of two way radio equipment. The cop let him go after he was educated by the young man by being polite and showing him the exemption in the law for licensed hams. I only know of a few cops that don't like scanners in cars or in our homes.:roll:

rngr2000

Slow down and pay attencion to your driving.

I don't want to give the impression that im some kind of speed racer. I usually run about 5mph over the limit. It's when the speed limit changes from say 55 to 45 is when I find myself running 60 in a 45. That's also where law enforcement likes to set up radar.

CrabbyMilton

I'm not trying to point fingers here but I'm glad this issue was brought up. It always makes me want to ask a person who starts his conversation by saying to the effect that "everytime I get pulled over by a cop...". To me that is telling. I'm 47 years old and I have only been pulled over twice and the last time was 14 years ago and both times, I knew I was going too fast. So what is it that people do to get pulled over so often. To me people that have such a problem with police perhaps are the problem. Sure there are a handful of bad cops out there but not enough to lose sleep over. Besides, I would rather deal with a so called bad cop than a nice criminal.

Thayne

I'm not trying to point fingers here but I'm glad this issue was brought up. It always makes me want to ask a person who starts his conversation by saying to the effect that "everytime I get pulled over by a cop...". To me that is telling. I'm 47 years old and I have only been pulled over twice and the last time was 14 years ago and both times, I knew I was going too fast. So what is it that people do to get pulled over so often. To me people that have such a problem with police perhaps are the problem. Sure there are a handful of bad cops out there but not enough to lose sleep over. Besides, I would rather deal with a so called bad cop than a nice criminal.

I agree.
Funny thing going on nowadays is that because there are apparently more police impersonators I have been stopped 2 times in about 10 trips when I was delivering crown vics back to the owners after installing or fixing something. These cars have no markings or overhead lights either, but obviously look like cop cars. Some people do what I do when I see one around--Slow Down.

One state patrol jerk really ran me thru the mill even after I showed him my FCC license. I finally had him call a guy in their shop that told him I was probably not a rapist---

GrumpyGuard

come to Washington State and you well get a ticket for speeding
Ain't that the truth, A few years ago we came across the bridge from Astoria Or. into Wa. We weren't in the state more than 5 miles and the state trooper made a u turn pulled the wife over for going a little over 5 miles over the limit. Of course we had California plates on the car and I don't think that helped matters.:evil:

zz0468

QRT
Banned
come to Washington State and you well get a ticket for speeding

I spent a week in Washington State last summer, and never got pulled over.

I don't think I've ever driven over a states border without seeing a clearly marked speed limit sign. Anyone driving an out of state plate over the speed limit is asking for trouble.

And like crabbymilton, it's been decades since I've been pulled over. And even the unpleasant cops were in a better mood when they were done talking to me.

CrabbyMilton

That's so true in that if you behave and just be respectful, chances are while you may not get out of the ticket, you will have a much easier time and will be treated accordingly.
People complain that they get treated like crap. Perhaps you are behaving like a turd. :)

Trk2_Barman

Premium Subscriber
It depends on what state you are in really whether you are going to get hassled or not. I do know that in some states, scanners are illegal unless you are public safety and can be cited/arrested for possessing one. A friend of mine that is a fire buff received a summons in NYC for being in possession of prohibited radio equipment (scanner). Just be careful and cognizant of the laws where you are and you should be fine.

sphipps

I've never been hassled for radio equipment in a vehicle... but having a radar detector is a totally different story.

About 10 years ago I was involved in a fairly serious interstate accident. A lady driving an SUV changed lanes into me doing about 65 mph. She lost control and overturned in a ditch. The HP came out and automatically presumed I was guilty after seeing that radar detector on the dash. They got rude and for a bit I thought they were going to haul me to jail... but the other folks were unharmed and fully admitted fault at the scene. The HP became real friendly after that point and sent me on my way. I haven't used a radar detector in my vehicles since.

Iron Triangle Ohio... otherweise known as Fostoria
I know I have heard some crazy stories up in Michigan regarding people having scanners and radar detectors. I don't know how credible this persons story is that told me this, But he said he was pulled over up in Michigan, and when the patrolman seen he had a scanner he removed it from this guys car and ran it over with his cruiser. It just depends on the state, the officer and the kind of day the officer is having, and how the person that's being pulled over's actions are. I have an old Ohio ODOT truck that has about 5 antennas on it, And lots of radio gear, I am a licensed ham and a radio programmer/tech and no one gives me a hard time at all...I admit I have at times been going a little faster than I should have been but most of the LEO's know me and I just get waves all the time.

GrumpyGuard

It depends on what state you are in really whether you are going to get hassled or not. I do know that in some states, scanners are illegal unless you are public safety and can be cited/arrested for possessing one. A friend of mine that is a fire buff received a summons in NYC for being in possession of prohibited radio equipment (scanner). Just be careful and cognizant of the laws where you are and you should be fine.
The best way around the scanner laws is to become a licensed amateur radio operator (ham). Because most ham radios are capable of scanning (not transmitting) out of band they are exempt from the scanner law. If you read most of the laws in the areas that have restrictions against the use of scanners in vehicles you will see the exemption.

GrumpyGuard

I don't know how credible this persons story is that told me this, But he said he was pulled over up in Michigan, and when the patrolman seen he had a scanner he removed it from this guys car and ran it over with his cruiser. .

Looks like the trooper would be paying to replace the scanner if this was true. Not to mention the destruction of evidence.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.973 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

GrumpyGuard said:
I don't know how credible this persons story is that told me this, But he said he was pulled over up in Michigan, and when the patrolman seen he had a scanner he removed it from this guys car and ran it over with his cruiser. .

Looks like the trooper would be paying to replace the scanner if this was true. Not to mention the destruction of evidence.

One of my former coworkers is a full-time LEO, in MI, and he tried saying he was allowed to confiscate scanners from a vehicle. (Prior to MI changing the scanner law, a few years back.)

I countered that I would own that jurisdiction, for violating the 4th amendment, and I would prosecute the officer for malicious destruction of property.

GrumpyGuard

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.973 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

One of my former coworkers is a full-time LEO, in MI, and he tried saying he was allowed to confiscate scanners from a vehicle. (Prior to MI changing the scanner law, a few years back.)

I countered that I would own that jurisdiction, for violating the 4th amendment, and I would prosecute the officer for malicious destruction of property.

It's one thing to confiscate the radio, as to destroying the radio. If it gets confiscated you have a chance to get it back. Once it is destroyed you will never get it back (at least not in working order).

Status
Not open for further replies.