Knoxville, TN - No Traffic Citations for Vets

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeerNutz

Premium Subscriber
Today, 6/30/12, I am hearing over my scanner from the city and county, something like this. "No citation issued in honor of our troops." I'm guessing, no veteran, within reason, gets a traffic citation through the 4th of July.

Many years ago, on Memorial Day, I was pulled over by a Knox County, TN deputy. Like most Marines, I plaster decals on my vehicles. We don't put them on there hoping to get out of a ticket, it's a way for us to identify each other cuz no matter who we are or where we live, we are all brothers. Deputy asked for my DL only and asked me if I am a veteran. When I replied yes, he said "Knox County sheriff's dept. would like to thank you for your service to our country, have a nice day" and hands me back my license without running it or my plates through county records. I will never forget that day.

Y'all ever here of anything like that where you live?

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Nope, but as a veteran myself I hope I don't.
We don't deserve any special merit just because we served.

n9zas

BeerNutz

Premium Subscriber
Nope, but as a veteran myself I hope I don't.
We don't deserve any special merit just because we served.

n9zas

I come from an era when we were swore at and spit on, I think it's cool if they are giving vets a break on minor traffic violations.. I was coming home through LA International once when I was spit on. The hippie's head hit the deck before his feet did. LOL

To all vets... I salute you. Welcome home and thank you for your service.

Confuzzled

Sorry, I don't believe in special treatment or professional courtesy. An officer's discretion should be limited to the infraction at hand and not the offender's current or past employment.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Sorry, I don't believe in special treatment or professional courtesy. An officer's discretion should be limited to the infraction at hand and not the offender's current or past employment.

True!

n9zas

BeerNutz

Premium Subscriber

Psssst,,, no veteran thinks of the time he served as "past employment."

JoeyC

This thread reminds me of all the I'm a ham so we get special treatment posts in regards to hands-free and carrying a scanner in your car laws.

michaeldim

Premium Subscriber
Agreed, as much as I respect those who served, the law is the law. Nobody should get special treatment. The vets fought to protect it, the least they can do is obey it.

BeerNutz

Premium Subscriber
This thread reminds me of all the I'm a ham so we get special treatment posts in regards to hands-free and carrying a scanner in your car laws.

I am not a ham radio operator. Like millions before me and after, I am a proud veteran who gave 4 years of my life for our freedom. Apples and oranges.

The veterans in Knoxville, TN & Knox County, TN did not ask for special treatment. If you would have read the original post, our local governments are doing this "in honor of our troops."

BeerNutz

Premium Subscriber
Agreed, as much as I respect those who served, the law is the law. Nobody should get special treatment. The vets fought to protect it, the least they can do is obey it.

Veterans protect our freedoms with our blood. Have you?

All things being equal I would say veterans are the most law abiding group in America. We were taught this at an early age when others were smoking dope in a dorm room.

BeerNutz

Premium Subscriber
^^ And if they don't, they can pay the same price as everyone else.

They even give us a parade here on Veterans Day here. Go figure.

I also receive free medical for life and funeral services, not as special treament but because I earned it.

Many anti veteran comments here. Many things can be said using a keyboard that would not be said to a veteran's face. You couldn't take my military pride away in a million years.

michaeldim

Premium Subscriber
Veterans protect our freedoms with our blood. Have you?

All things being equal I would say veterans are the most law abiding group in America. We were taught this at an early age when others were smoking dope in a dorm room.

Well I can see this thread is bound for the Tavern and/or a padlock.

I have an infinite amount of respect and awe for those who served. However, that does not entitle veterans to loft around a 'holier-than-thou' attitude. Nor does this respect give veterans clearance to ignore the law. Most who have served understand the reason for humility. I have a number of veterans in my family, one from World War II, in fact, and I respect their service.

They don't see themselves as superior humans and look down on everyone else like some people seem to. Respect can be lost more easily than it is earned. That's something they taught me.

Last edited:

BeerNutz

Premium Subscriber
Well I can see this thread is bound for the Tavern and/or a padlock.

I have an infinite amount of respect and awe for those who served. However, that does not entitle veterans to loft around a 'holier-than-thou' attitude. Nor does this respect give veterans clearance to ignore the law. Most who have served understand the reason for humility. I have a number of veterans in my family, one from World War II, in fact, and I respect their service.

They don't see themselves as superior humans and look down on everyone else like some people seem to. Respect can be lost more easily than it is earned. That's something they taught me.

You are the one talking about hollier than thou, ignoring the law and superior humans.

To remind you: I started this post as to what my community is doing "TO HONOR OUR TROOPS." That's about American as it gets. What your imagination has made up has nothing to do with this thread.

Confuzzled

All things being equal I would say veterans are the most law abiding group in America.

Dude, don't even try to go there. Veterans have been responsible for quite a bit of violence and crime after returning home, including assaults on law enforcement personnel.

freqgeek2

BeerNutz, I agree that this is a nice gesture in which the Knoxville Officers are doing for the vets! If an officer effects a traffic stop on a vehicle for a minor traffic violation and notices that you are a Veteran and decides to give you a verbal warning and thanking you for your service, that is their discretion.

As for Confuzzled you must be a bit confused because for some, there is a reason that these fine men and woman return home with mental issues or addiction problems.

Yes, I am a proud US Army Vet and Yes, I am a 21 year vet of law Enforcement and have been assaulted by a few vets especially from the Vietnam era, but they are still brothers!!

BeerNutz

Premium Subscriber
OMG !!! I just found another one.

I was in the Walmart and found out they offer free eye exams for veterans. And, they must know that since your military service, you have a phobia about standing in lines so the exam is real fast.

All ya do is cover each eye as you look over at the cashier and tell the doctor how many teeth she has.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

That is a nice gesture to the vets. When I am driving, and I see a vet plate I tend to be much more forgiving if they are driving really slow or cut in front of me, I have the utmost respect for the men and women that have served my country. If the Knoxville PD give them a break for minor traffic violations then good for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.