RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > General Scanning Discussion

General Scanning Discussion For general questions not specific to a model of scanner or general discussion of use of a scanner. Location specific posts should be directed to the regional forums listed below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2012, 8:28 PM
FL, GA, AL, MS Admin
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by proudpoppy View Post
The RS just 3-miles away did not have one in stock the internet site said it did, but when I went in they didn't have one and looked at me with this dumb look, she said they only get one radio, when they sell it they get another one, when you have a sale on a product you should carry more than one !!! And ScannerMaster did have the best price !!
I guess the one bad experience from the closest store put you off. Did you call any of the other 6 stores near by that had them listed in-stock? Just wondering what they had to say.
Sponsored links
Old 07-12-2012, 9:46 PM

Sometimes, it only takes one bad experience to put one off. I've had a few over the years, and I never returned, again.
Old 07-13-2012, 8:56 AM
Silent Key - Aug 2014
Database Admin

What I can't figure out is why anyone would buy a RadioShack branded GRE500 for more money instead of just buying the GRE model that comes with the programming cable, AC adapter and faster updates on firmware for less money? This has the added advantage of not having to deal with RS folks at all.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:16 PM

Thumbs up Still Learning

Still living & learning !!!

Update:: THE PRO-106 ARRIVED FRIDAY IT TOOK 3-DAYS TO GET HERE, I HOLD NO HARD FEELINGS AGAINST SCANNERMASTER THEY HAVE A CUSTOMER FOR LIFE!! RADIO SHACK AND I HAVE NOT GOT ALONG FOR SOME TIME NOW !!!
Old 07-15-2012, 11:52 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

never had a problem with scanner master. grove and universal_radio are good scanner stores also

Last edited by maalox; 07-16-2012 at 12:04 AM..
Sponsored links

Old 07-16-2012, 9:51 PM

Post #1: a "warning" to consider certain things when ordering a certain product from a certain vendor.
Posts # 2 thru # 43 admonish the OP or praise the vendor.
Post #44, the OP is happy, and the thread ends well, with no "thanks" or corroboration for the warning.
Old 07-17-2012, 4:35 AM

Amen, case CLOSED.
Old 08-01-2012, 8:25 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Smile Nobody mentioned this

Don't forget that Wednesday was the 4th of July. A holiday for UPS, USPS and maybe Radio Shack in Dallas. Some people took off more than one day. Ordered on the 2nd of July, shipped on the 3rd, in limbo due to holiday, shipping on the 5th and delivered on the 6th. Not bad. Don't see any need for a warning. YMMV
Old 09-25-2012, 1:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maalox View Post
never had a problem with scanner master. grove and universal_radio are good scanner stores also
?

Before I send in my Bcd996Xt to Scanner Master Tomorrow. Is it myth or truth that the page I filled out after I called them and gave them my e-mail and then printed for counties I want to be programed into my scanner, will my scanner be able to listen to these encrypted star com freq's or not? Am I just wasting my money to have them do something I can do with Free Scan which is program it already.

I am confused. I believe scanner master said yes they will program and do something to it so I can listen to these counties but then ham operators said no it's all snake oil. About to smash this thing and move on in life. Don't want to blow $300 more bucks to have it come back programed to cook county with static.

The X files man!! Is the TRUTH OUT THEIR?
Sponsored links
Old 09-25-2012, 9:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hexmaster View Post
?

Before I send in my Bcd996Xt to Scanner Master Tomorrow. Is it myth or truth that the page I filled out after I called them and gave them my e-mail and then printed for counties I want to be programed into my scanner, will my scanner be able to listen to these encrypted star com freq's or not? Am I just wasting my money to have them do something I can do with Free Scan which is program it already.

I am confused. I believe scanner master said yes they will program and do something to it so I can listen to these counties but then ham operators said no it's all snake oil. About to smash this thing and move on in life. Don't want to blow $300 more bucks to have it come back programed to cook county with static.

The X files man!! Is the TRUTH OUT THEIR?
I would suggest you contact Scanner Master back prior to forwarding the unit to have them clarify about the "encryption" and ability to listen to such transmissions. It is my understanding that sometimes encryption will be used so that a scanner listener will not be understand what is being transmitted while at other times, on the same frequency, the transmissions will not be encrypted at all.

Ask the person(s) you speak to specifically if encrypted transmissions will be understandable on the frequencies you're interested in monitoring and, if so, exactly what it is that is being done to the unit to allow this.

Good luck.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:44 AM
Silent Key - Aug 2014
Database Admin

Quote:
...I am confused. I believe scanner master said yes they will program and do something to it so I can listen to these counties but then ham operators said no it's all snake oil. About to smash this thing and move on in life. Don't want to blow $300 more bucks to have it come back programed to cook county with static.
Let me make it very clear. You will not be able to monitor encrypted channels with a scanner. Period. There is nothing anyone can do to a scanner to allow them to understand encrypted channels.

If you had an actual radio, just like the agency you want to listen to uses, there is no way you can hear the encrypted channels unless it is programmed with the encryption key, which his held by the agency system administrator or what ever he/she might be called.

I hope that clears that up for you.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:49 AM

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidgee View Post
I would suggest you contact Scanner Master back prior to forwarding the unit to have them clarify about the "encryption" and ability to listen to such transmissions. It is my understanding that sometimes encryption will be used so that a scanner listener will not be understand what is being transmitted while at other times, on the same frequency, the transmissions will not be encrypted at all.

Ask the person(s) you speak to specifically if encrypted transmissions will be understandable on the frequencies you're interested in monitoring and, if so, exactly what it is that is being done to the unit to allow this.

Good luck.
thank you

Uniden was useless. their phone techs know less about the radio's than a ten year old. I am serious about that part.

I am contacting where I am sending it out now. I have decided to keep it even if I loose all local police and fire. Where i live IL is very strict now with this Starcom. Everything is getting encrypted. I have had this unit 2 and a 1/2 weeks. Just got back into hobby. 39 yrs old last time I held a scanner I was 15! Big difference.

A ham operator told me impossible to hear them. ??? ???? in Massachusetts told me yes we can do it. They asked for my e-mail and boom I printed a sheet with instructions for them and counties. Not going to be cheap. (I just took out the company's name.) I know they should not be doing this and I would hate to see them get shut down. The Feds busted all the radio shops in IL or northern IL..

Thanks for the help. It's just very annoying and aggravating. I am trying so hard not to give up. I spend $460 on the radio the gave me a serial port to plug into my computer!!! What a serial port!! So I spent another $34 on a U.S.B. cable to plug in to my Mac running Parallel's (virtual machine for windows)
another $30 subscription to Radio Reference so I can use Free Scan. Get where I am going. My nerves are wearing thing. last night before I went to bed I was selling it. Today I woke and and fighting one last time.

Have to make a phone call and confirm they are doing what I want and not just programming counties into it because I can do that.

If they can't help me then it's for sale. $400 firm It's band new still all bells and whistles go with it. I pay off bill me later and get something else to occupy my time with.

Thank you for taking time to read and respond
p.s. i am in a hurry and did not proof read sorry for typo's
Old 09-25-2012, 11:09 AM

yeah I'm the idiot. scanner master just sets it up for you. I guess everything is not going encrypted here. I feel so stupid. people have got to be laughing at me by now on here.

I am this desperate your a moderator. I understand free scan fairly well but trunking forget it. Would you be willing to help me by getting me a set up in kane county in Elgin IL 60120/Cook 60123 Elgin is split by those counties. I would love to hear that town. I will send you a money order for your time. I am a man of my word. I guess I need more help with this. I have to stop blowing the forums up with this stuff.

already tarnishing my name. "hexmaster" hey that had a nice chime to it. I am going to keep fighting I have not had this radio for a month yet maybe I am moving to damn fast. If you could do that for me and entrust me with a address through a person e-mail or if you can access my info when I set up this account I will pay you. My checks are good also. Wife is a doctor I am disabled due to this mean fighting world. (all I want to say)

Scanner Master said who ever is telling me my information is WRONG WRONG WRONG. making me look like a jackass.
Old 09-25-2012, 12:41 PM
Silent Key - Aug 2014
Database Admin

Quote:
yeah I'm the idiot. scanner master just sets it up for you. I guess everything is not going encrypted here. I feel so stupid. people have got to be laughing at me by now on here.

I am this desperate your a moderator. I understand free scan fairly well but trunking forget it. Would you be willing to help me by getting me a set up in kane county in Elgin IL 60120/Cook 60123 Elgin is split by those counties. I would love to hear that town. I will send you a money order for your time. I am a man of my word. I guess I need more help with this. I have to stop blowing the forums up with this stuff.

already tarnishing my name. "hexmaster" hey that had a nice chime to it. I am going to keep fighting I have not had this radio for a month yet maybe I am moving to damn fast. If you could do that for me and entrust me with a address through a person e-mail or if you can access my info when I set up this account I will pay you. My checks are good also. Wife is a doctor I am disabled due to this mean fighting world. (all I want to say)

Scanner Master said who ever is telling me my information is WRONG WRONG WRONG. making me look like a jackass.
With the your a moderator comment I am guessing the above is addressed to me. Let me help you understand something, and I do this for free . You have the software, you have the access, you don't need to pay anyone to do the programming for you. The additional advantage of you doing it yourself is that you get to pick and choose what and where you put in your radio.

That said, you need to understand trunking, I don't know what level you are, but start here and if you are beyond that, link off. Ask questions.
Old 09-25-2012, 1:16 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Hex, since you are here in suburban Chicago, may I suggest you look up CARMA? CARMA stands for the Chicago Area Radio Monitors Association. We have a Yahoo Group under "CARMACHICAGO as well as a website, Home Page. We are all a bunch of scanner/ham/shortwave guys and we'd be glad to help you.

Although I rarely attend, we have monthly meetings and anyone there can explain the complexities of trunking and how it relates to sites here in the Chicago Metro area. I don't want to tie up the thread, but I can tell you if you are trying to monitor the Cook County Sheriffs Police, they are in fact encrypted and all you will get is noise. Monitoring Starcom, there are some talk groups that appear to use encryption from time to time. For the most part, SC is unencrypted.

It looks like you have a 996XT? If so, that is a great desk top scanner and once you understand how things work, they are a snap to program with either FREESAN or the BuTel programming software. You have understand how trunking works and how the 396XT manages the data first though
Also, ask for help in the Illinois forum and you should get plenty of volunteers to show you how to program the radio.
Understand though that you want to learn how to program it, particularly with FREESCAN or similar. Frequencies and systems are dynamic and they change often. Good luck!
Joe, N9JCQ
Sponsored links
Old 09-25-2012, 1:31 PM

As Lou said, you need to understand trunking. Here is a simple explanation of how trunking works. Keep in mind that the 996 uses a new type of memory structure without banks, so just ignore that part.

Motorola Trunking:
The object of trunking is to allow many users to share a relatively few frequencies.
A trunking system is controlled by a computer. Information (data) is exchanged between the system radios and the computer on a control channel, sometimes called a data channel. It sounds like a strong buzz.
A large system can have up to 28 freqs., 4 of which may be used as control channels. The control channel may be changed once a day or as often as the programmer decides. Some scanners need only the control channels to track an entire system. Just put in the 4 Control Channels.

Each group of users (Fire, Police, etc.) is assigned TALK GROUPS. In a Motorola Type II system, the most common type, TGs are usually in 32 number steps starting with 16 and going up to 65536; 16, 48, 80 --- 4656, 4688, 4720 --- 28944, 28976, etc. System radios can have more than 100 TGs programmed into them.

After all the freqs. have been entered and it is "trunking", the Banks become SCAN LISTS where you enter the Talk Groups you want to hear. Use the Talk Group numbers in the DEC column.

When a user pushes the talk button on his radio, data is sent to the computer. The computer chooses an unused freq. and sends that data to all the radios using the TG of the originating unit. This all happens in a fraction of a second and it happens EVERY TIME a radio is used.

EXAMPLE:
Fire Dispatch calling Engine 4 (TG 4528 on 856.7125)
Engine 4 answering Dispatch (TG 4528 on 852.2625)
Respond to 73 Elm Street (TG 4528 on 855.9625)
Engine 4 responding (TG 4528 on 851.6375)

If you have entered TG 4528 into your scanner, it will decode the control channel data and change your scanner freqs. to follow the conversation on TG 4528.
Old 09-25-2012, 3:02 PM

Wink thanks "dickh"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickH View Post
As Lou said, you need to understand trunking. Here is a simple explanation of how trunking works. Keep in mind that the 996 uses a new type of memory structure without banks, so just ignore that part.

Motorola Trunking:
The object of trunking is to allow many users to share a relatively few frequencies.
A trunking system is controlled by a computer. Information (data) is exchanged between the system radios and the computer on a control channel, sometimes called a data channel. It sounds like a strong buzz.
A large system can have up to 28 freqs., 4 of which may be used as control channels. The control channel may be changed once a day or as often as the programmer decides. Some scanners need only the control channels to track an entire system. Just put in the 4 Control Channels.

Each group of users (Fire, Police, etc.) is assigned TALK GROUPS. In a Motorola Type II system, the most common type, TGs are usually in 32 number steps starting with 16 and going up to 65536; 16, 48, 80 --- 4656, 4688, 4720 --- 28944, 28976, etc. System radios can have more than 100 TGs programmed into them.

After all the freqs. have been entered and it is "trunking", the Banks become SCAN LISTS where you enter the Talk Groups you want to hear. Use the Talk Group numbers in the DEC column.

When a user pushes the talk button on his radio, data is sent to the computer. The computer chooses an unused freq. and sends that data to all the radios using the TG of the originating unit. This all happens in a fraction of a second and it happens EVERY TIME a radio is used.

EXAMPLE:
Fire Dispatch calling Engine 4 (TG 4528 on 856.7125)
Engine 4 answering Dispatch (TG 4528 on 852.2625)
Respond to 73 Elm Street (TG 4528 on 855.9625)
Engine 4 responding (TG 4528 on 851.6375)

If you have entered TG 4528 into your scanner, it will decode the control channel data and change your scanner freqs. to follow the conversation on TG 4528.
I will start to copy and paste this trunking advise in word yours actually gave me a clue. Still a long way to go. If someone sat down with me and spent a couple of hours I would be set. You know how it goes. I need to find a ham operator that is willing to help me in my area.

A light bulb lit up for the time being. I have aluminum siding on my house and that kills receception, cell phones anything wireless to outside. I hate it. So I am sitting outside with an extension cord and the 996xt on with close call store and wow it's finding tons of stuff now. I need an external antenna I just proved that to myself. Or live on the patio. The close call is also called the wild card in a hams book right? I will someday get my ham license. I swore not to post for a month in here. that was a short month. lol.

Tags
pro-106, pro-164, scannermaster