RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > General Scanning Discussion

General Scanning Discussion For general questions not specific to a model of scanner or general discussion of use of a scanner. Location specific posts should be directed to the regional forums listed below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2012, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis98 View Post
Just a quick question.

I love looking at everyone's shacks and setups, and the one thing I always see are multiple scanners - why so many?
I have a Pro-97 that has 1000 channels - so that means 1000 different places to enter in freq's (right?)
Why do you need more than one scanner? Just a bit confused, as I am a long time casual listener, but want to get more serious. I am currently (I feel) under-utilizing my scanners capabilities, and want to enjoy this more.

Thanks!
well if a scanner can pick up stuff 50miles away theres alot of stuff to listen to. That acouple of countys depending on where you live. Each county can have 20 channels of stuff if not more. Three scanners would serve you well really. I have one and im overwelmed
Sponsored links
Old 11-06-2012, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeatock View Post
While this is a monitoring forum many of the members here are also public safety end users, and administrators, of communications systems.

To effectively manage even a moderately-sized incident, somebody (or several somebody’s) has to have several radios in front of them so they can pass messages back and forth. I know of localities where by policy "our" police dispatcher has to telephone "their" fire dispatcher to pass information. Each “forward’ inserts inaccuracy, and more importantly a time delay, into an incident where seconds may make a critical difference.

Politics, and in many cases pure laziness, are the real reasons that public safety communication (and the associated situational awareness) is in such a state of chaos.

I work for a company the builds and installs radio interoperability gateways. It never stops to amaze me that the department heads of many agencies are living in the world of radios from 40 years ago. They also run the departments like it's still the 1960's. This old time politics really gets in the way of how the boys out in the field would like to have the ability to communicate between different departments. In some cases it's even within the same community or city.

We can provide all the toys the troops on the ground will ever need. But you can't fix the dumb *** politics that many of these department heads maintain.
Old 01-03-2013, 5:37 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Question Why so many scanners?

There really is no one single answer to your question. Multiple scanners develop as your individual needs and habits grow. Some of us that have been doing this for a few decades have developed different habits as things change. I currently run only 4 scanners (used to have 8) as I don't really monitor as much as I used to. Here is my logic and / or reasoning for having my 4. One is completely dedicated to digital / P25 trunking systems. Two are completely exact copies of each other and serve as analog only scanners for all the different non-trunked Police / Fire / EMS monitoring. It helps to have them be exact clones for several reasons but primarily, what is in one scanner is in the exact same spot on the other. It is easier for me to monitor that way. The 4th scanner is for civil and military air monitoring and nothing else. Each has a separate antenna and it's own external speaker. Again, this is my specific monitoring habit and / or need as much as it can be called a need. In other words, I decided that if I'm going to monitor, this is the way I think it's best to do it for my particular area. So you see, there is some method to the madness that you see in our pictures. Hope this helps you understand why we have and use so many scanners!

Manny
Old 01-03-2013, 11:42 PM

I have to have multiple scanners in my base setup in order to pick everything up. We have an 800mhz P25 system that both our sheriff and police use. Both departments are so busy that I have to have both of my Pro-96's going or else I'll miss something. When I only had 1 Pro-96 I'd be listening to routine traffic for the police department and miss a more serious call from the sheriff's department. Now that I have 2 of them I can set one to the police and the other to the sheriff. In addition to that I also have a couple of analog scanners that I use for fire or police that still use conventional UHF or VHF channels. Even though scanners often have capacity for thousands of channels if you live in a busy area you might miss things when the scanner stops on one channel at the same time another one is active.

As for my mobile setup I only use one my Pro-96's in my car. When I'm driving somewhere I only monitor the agency that covers the area I'm in. As I go through different cities on my commute I switch to that city's talkgroup. For me, multiple scanners in my car would be a distraction.

I agree that if your area isn't really that active then you'll probably be able to get by with just one scanner.
Old 01-04-2013, 8:23 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbm View Post
The 'perfect' setup is a lot of single channel receivers. One for every frequency you may ever want to listen to.
You would never miss anything.
That is why I use more than one scanner.

One is set to the marine frequencies for Coast Guard monitering for both summer boating and winter ice rescues, one is set to cover county police,and one for fire dispatch.

You can never have too many
Sponsored links
Old 01-04-2013, 8:37 AM

I have four here. I keep one scanning between a couple of my town's frequencies. The others scan state police, and neighboring municipalities. I want to know what's happening in my immediate area first, so those are the primary freqs, then statewide, state police, utilities, etc. are in the other scanners. It seems the trunked systems hog scanner time, so there is a lot that can be missed while those are in use. I also have the ability to monitor some frequencies on my ham radios. An ideal scanning session is when a call goes out on the local freqs., and mutual aid or something is called for and I am able to hear the comms in real time from my local agencies as well as the responding agencies. It's not hard to add additional scanners to your set up if you look around at garage sales or on Ebay, especially if there is still a lot of conventional traffic in your area.
Old 01-04-2013, 8:38 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

More scanners lets you listen to more things efficiency.
Old 01-04-2013, 1:03 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLB View Post
....You can never have too many
Ain't that the truth!! I've acquired three scanners just within the last month.

Every time I pick up a new scanner or ham radio, I tell my wife that radios are like crayons; you can never have enough.

Old 01-05-2013, 7:34 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthSideScannerGuy View Post
Ain't that the truth!! I've acquired three scanners just within the last month.

Every time I pick up a new scanner or ham radio, I tell my wife that radios are like crayons; you can never have enough.

I wish they cost the same as crayons! LOL....I just "acquired" another scanner yesterday! I'ts an "investment" that's the key word to use around the wives!

Manny.
Sponsored links
Old 01-10-2013, 2:47 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

I have 2 scanners (Pro 197 and Pro 2026), along with 5 tranceivers in my work truck. I still don't get to monitor everything I would prefer. I use the 197 exclusively for 800mhz analog/digital stuff, and the 2026 for UHF/VHF analog stuff. No such thing as too many scanners.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:31 AM

I have two scanners in my truck.

A 996XT for P25 Digital Systems
A BCT15X for my area towns.

It keeps thing organized and manageable. When you fill up a one scanner with lots of frequencies you tend to miss transmissions because the scan bank is very large.