RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > General Scanning Discussion

General Scanning Discussion For general questions not specific to a model of scanner or general discussion of use of a scanner. Location specific posts should be directed to the regional forums listed below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-23-2012, 5:26 PM

Default What can I do with my old scanners?

Hey Everyone,

I was cleaning out the closet and found:

(1) Uniden BC 855XLT / 800mhz / Analog

(1) Radio Shack PRO-2021

and

(1) Radio Shack PRO-2026

All units are in excellent condition.

I live in Delaware and all Emergency Comm is on 800mhz / Digital. With the exception of the FIRE / EMS re-broadcasts that I monitor using a Radio Shack PRO-2040 to listen to... I haven't a clue what I can do with the units I mentioned above.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Sponsored links
Old 11-23-2012, 5:43 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

They can still be used in other areas that are non-digital or 800 and for uses other than Police/Fire.
I use old scanners for Ham Radio APRS iGates and also scanner feeds for areas that havent upgraded yet.
I am always looking for older scanners cheap or free to put into use.

You could set up a Marine, Aircraft, Rail Road, Road Commission feed on here.
You can set up a AIS marine ship tracker and send data to sites like MarineTraffic.com
Old 11-23-2012, 5:53 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

FWIW, in browsing radio operating systems here on RR, I still come across trunked 800 mHz systems that use FM rather than digital modes. Eventually they'll all be digital but at this time there are still some of the FM systems around. You might wish to check your local area to see if you have any near you. In addition, some P25 digital systems use analog FM on their interop channels as well as their "private" channels, so check that as well.
Old 11-23-2012, 6:06 PM

Default Re:

Thanks so much for (1) responding and (2) for the great ideas. I wasn't even thinking about the HAM freqs! Wow... I struggle... I have been looking to get my HAM license for years too... I totally overlooked them! Been a LONG time since I monitored their freqs! I'm looking at the database for my area now!

Thanks!
Old 11-23-2012, 7:24 PM
Wiki Admin Emeritus
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

In addition, you could use them for the many fireboard channels that are still around (check the database). And don't forget about ACARS monitoring, which would not require you to install any discriminator taps...Mike
Sponsored links
Old 11-24-2012, 9:33 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

There are all kinds of things you could use them to listen too, GMRS/MURS, Air/Marine bands, trains/taxis/business etc. Try scanning through the bands to see what you can get.
Old 11-24-2012, 1:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirelesscop View Post
(1) Radio Shack PRO-2026
I haven't a clue what I can do with the units I mentioned above.
Any thoughts?
The PRO-2026 is a nice small unit and some versions can be modified to receive the entire 800 band. I use that feature as a signal generator. Since the I.F. is 10.8MHz it's easy to calculate where to tune the scanner so you can to hear the oscillator on any particular freq.
For example, if you want to generate a signal on 859.4375, tune a modified PRO-2026 to 870.2375. That is beyond the range an un-modified PRO-2026 can tune.
To generate a signal on other freqqs., tune the PRO-2026 10.8MHz higher than the one you want.
It puts out a rather strong signal, so if you want a weak signal to try various antennas, for example, move the PRO-2026 across the room, or even to another room.

Here are the 3 versions of the PRO-2026.:
200-0148 YES, it can be modified to tune the entire 800 band.
200-0148A YES, it can be modified to tune the entire 800 band.
200-0148B NO. It can NOT be modifies to tune the entire 800 band.

Another use for a PRO-2026 and other older scanners is to add a discriminator tap to allow it to be the input for various programs that can read the data channel of trunked systems.
Old 11-25-2012, 6:47 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Another Option for Extra Scanners

Whether your area went to encryption rendering your P25 scanner useless or your older VHF/UHF scanners won't pick up the new 800 frequencies or P25 on the original frequencies our people can use them in our youth ham radio club. We have a ham radio station in our youth center On The Road Youth Ministry > Home. We will issue a 501 C 3 tax receipt for the full value of working equipment inlcuding wide band two way which can be used on ham frequencies. Please email me with a list of what you have. Thanks. Jim N2OPS. jim@otrym.org.
Old 11-25-2012, 8:10 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

I dedicate my bc785D to 800 trunked which is my police/fire/muni..then I run my trusty old bc350a at the desk for marine/air/trains as well as surrounding police freqs on uhf/vhf. You could do lots with those extra radios and run them off a coax switch to one or two antennas
'54 Hallicrafters SX-88 #127; Icoms R71A&R75, on a Wellbrook ALA1530s+ loop @ 50'
RS Pro 2066 in truck to thru-glass Larsen Tribander
Sponsored links
Old 11-27-2012, 3:16 AM

Whenever someone in my area upgrades their scanner and tells me they have an older analog mobile or handheld they no longer need I ask them if they would consider donating it to their local VFD. Over the last couple years of asking them to consider this I have been able to get four handhelds and a small mobile scanner to give to our VFD junior firefighters who are alway short department issued recieve only VFD radios.

I figure that the scanners may not be as durable as department issue recievers but with more junior trainees than available recievers, the scanners give a few extra teens a means to copy the EMS dispatch tones and call outs and help them get experience in use of department radios even though they recieve text messages from their senior firefighter traners for grass fire experience.

One of the juniors I helped to get pro 82 for last year told me a few weeks ago that since he is going to graduate to firefighter soon with two way radio he plans to pass the Pro 82 down to one of the juniors relying only on phone text for grass fire call out.

Considering VFD service is voluntary even though it helps keep all of our property fire insurance premiums as low as possible, it gives me a good feeling knowing that they take the responsibility so seriously and I can help them a bit.

Please remember your local VFD if you have still usable gear they could use. Every VFD I have been covered by does a lot with less than paid FDs and put so much heart and effort in doing the best they can.
Old 11-27-2012, 8:59 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Sell em to me
Old 11-27-2012, 9:20 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

you also have to remember that most units are moving to Narrow band in January will your scanners be able to move to narrow band?
Old 11-28-2012, 5:44 PM

i like the idea scanner ride has. im a scanner person myself.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:54 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Talking

even with narrow band many things to listen to out there. and you can still listen to public safety. may not be as loud and may not get the range you used to get, may even sould "fuzzy" (lack of a better word).
bottom line is dont throw them out.

any remember, air / marine / ham / VHF low band are not going narrow band.