Used Scanners?

Status
Not open for further replies.

digitalanalog

I have been searching and not having much luck at all at locating a web site(s) that deals with strickly USED scanners.
To purchase. other then a few auction sites

Anyone have any info?

Thanks
Jim

digitalanalog

Have you tried EBay. I bought a couple of used scanners off there and had no problems. The main thing is to buy from people who have high ratings with little or no problems with previous sales. EBay also has buyer protection in the event you have problems with the seller. Here are some current listings.

Consumer Electronics > Radio Communication > Scanners | eBay

Yes, I am very aware of eBay been a member since 1999.
I am looking for another source, but it does not look like any are out there......hummmmmmmmmm

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Not sure what you are wanting both sites are selling both current to 3rd generation scanners uniden gre and radioshack. For those that paid $400 to $500 for P25 scanners its kinda hard to sell them for much less than $300 that are still in good shape Most people would not sell a car for 50% of what was paid for it at 2 years old. Short of dropping it storm damage I have 20 year old scanners still running and working just as good as the day I bought them new. But I am not like the seller that wants a $1000 for a uniden 996xt that is taking advantage of people. My 20 year old scanner is still worth 50% of what I paid for it to replace it today and that is a fair price if I needed one.

russellmaher

KC1ANC
I would suggest you try Craigslist in your area. I've found some scanners for sale on Craigslist, so I know it's a possibility. Give that a shot. Good luck.

Russell

nyemt774

Premium Subscriber
There is one site that could be useful in your search for a used scanner. Its propertyroom.com. If you put scanner in the search area it usually has several used scanners. I've bought some from the site. Been very pleased with them. They usually have portables which come from various police departments. Occasionally they have some decent base units which go relatively cheap. I have tried to find a website that deals exclusively in used scanners other than E-bay, Radioreference, or propertyroom, I've found nothing. Kinda surprised there's not something out there.

digitalanalog

I am a member of Propertyroom web site and I have purchased from them as well.

I have checked Craigslist and in my area, there are maybe 2-3 people and they aren't worth the money.

I put together a Used scanner site and bought almost 50 scanner from different places,I tried to get permission to post a link here but was turned down, You gotta' be BIG MONEY if you want to post on RR, after months and months of trying to get customers to the site, I got fed up and closed it and sold all the scanners on eBay.

Without prmotions through a site like this, the google crawlers are poluted with False information and no one seems to be bothered to check out any site that's new.

So,........ if I thought promotion would go through I would be more then willing to try it again, But I know it is a waste of time especialy trying to get permission on here. I tried, and they will have None of it....

There are NO sites out there dedicated to Used Scanners.....NONE...... and that's a shame.

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
G&G Communications used to be my go to source for used scanners as well as parts, and yes, even crystals for an old Bearcat III I still use! Just looked over there and his last update was mid July...I don't keep up with used prices, but at least a place to look...

jimlawrence

I've had good luck buying and selling used equipment via craigslist. I bought a Pro-106 last summer off craigslist for under $200. I also look at every craigslist within a 100 mile radius of home for interesting items for sale. Planning a trip? Look at all the craigslist sites along your route. You get the idea.

If you're looking to buy, a general web search for the model of scanner you'd like to buy sometimes turns up interesting things on local classified ad websites. There are times when a brief blurb on a radio-related yahoogroup or just mentioning you're looking for a certain scanner will produce results.

When summer comes, make sure to spend a few hours on Saturday morning visiting yard sales and have all your family and friends who go to yard sales keep an eye out for scanners.

When you locate something you're interested in, try bargaining. Sometimes the seller is "motivated" and will drop the price a bit just to get the cash in hand. Good luck! It's not easy but it's also not impossible to find really good buys out there.

JnglMassiv

The scanner market is far, far too small to support many resale outlets. I'm not sure what another resale site would be or do that RadioReference and Ebay don't already do very well.

Look at it this way. I've been looking for the same thing only used BMWs. I think a 2011 M3 should only cost about $7000, not $50-65K. It is a scam and a ripoff. People are asking more than I think their worth.

MisterK33

Same here

I sold my barely-used Pro 164 for $80 last week, since my locality went to digital and made the scanner obsolete. Probably every day I'm looking on Craigslist, eBay, etc. There's fun in the hunt, but it's becoming a matter of if I want to pay what I want to pay, it may never happen!

K

KHE2232

Used Scanners

Try Ebay. I've bought a few off there w/ no Problems !!

SpectreOZ

Local buy/swap & trade groups can also be found on FaceBook, personally the thrill of the auction is quite absorbing just remember to decide what the item is worth to you "before" you bid then stop at (or before) that pre-determined limit :D

Traditional newspaper classifieds are worth a look as are second hand (pawn) shops, recycling centres, garage (yard) sales, deceased estate auctions etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.