Similarity between scanning and bicycling

Status
Not open for further replies.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
Along with scanning / amateur radio, another one of my passionate hobbies is cycling. If I'm mot at my desk listening to a few scanners, I'm out on my bike enjoying a good ride.

Cyclists can be some crazy people. Someone (or a group of someones) sat down and came up with a list of 91 "rules" for cycling. I think they are more for the hardcore, road/racer type cyclists and not a more recreational rider like myself. However, some are amusing, some are just totally off the wall, and some actually make sense and can actually apply to things other than cycling.

Take rule number 12 for example. Rule number 12 states, "While the minimum number of bikes one should own is three, the correct number is n+1 where n is the number of bikes currently owned. This equation may also be re-written as s-1, where s is the number of bikes owned that would result in separation from your partner."

This rule applies to the number of scanners one owns as well. I currently own/use 10 scanners (and 5 ham radios) and am currently contemplating getting an 11th, another PRO-164. My wife thinks I'm crazy for even considering getting yet another "useless scanner" (her words, not mine). I do have a need / use for another one and can get one pretty cheap. No harm, no foul, right? Right.

However, now I fear I may be approaching that s-1 number. Gonna have to tread carefully, I do believe.

Anyway, I just thought it was kinda funny how some people collect multiple bikes (for the record, I own two) and some collect multiple scanners / ham radios.

:D

p.s. if any one is interested in the cycling "rules," let me know and I'll send and/or post the link. :)

Last edited:

WA2E

Might be interesting to hear the rules. I own two bikes myself, multiple scanners and multiple ham transceivers plus handhelds. It's like a disease.....:)

Anything concerning snot rockets seems to be funny.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I'm passionate about both as well, but have only one bike. My 29" hardtail Mtb. I'm a seasoned downhiller! :twisted:

n9zas

w2xq

Mentor
Wirelessly posted (Moto Droid Bionic: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.1.2; en-us; DROID BIONIC Build/9.8.2O-72_VZW-22) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

The group bike riders around here in the pines have a death wish. Narrow roads, limited visibilty, what stop sign... we don't need no stinkin' stop sign... we have to use hand signals? :)

n5ims

One difference that comes to mind is it's pretty difficult for a single person (as in 1, not as in an unmarried person) to use more than one bike at a time (while it's easy to justify having 1 of several types of bikes so you can match the bike to where you're riding on a particular day) but it's pretty easy to use multiple scanners at a time, especially when a major incident is going on nearby.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Scanning & Bicyles

I've been riding bicycles, listening to my scanner, & smoking (unspecified) for many years now. It is quite entertaining. I carry my PSR 500 on a swivel belt clip coupled with an over-the-ear mono earphone (used to be sold at most truck stops). People don't know it, but I'm listening while I ride. Most of the time, I ride at night due to less road traffic. I have two bright LED lights on the front and two bright LED lights on the rear.

By the way, there is only one rule of bicycling, "stay out of my way & leave me alone." If you bother me, my finger always responds. I carry wasp spray for pests!

Last edited:

gewecke

Banned
I've been riding bicycles, listening to my scanner, & smoking (unspecified) for many years now. It is quite entertaining. I carry my PSR 500 on a swivel belt clip coupled with an over-the-ear mono earphone (used to be sold at most truck stops). People don't know it, but I'm listening while I ride. Most of the time, I ride at night due to less road traffic. I have two bright LED lights on the front and two bright LED lights on the rear.

By the way, there is only one rule of bicycling, "stay out of my way & leave me alone." If you bother me, my finger always responds. I carry wasp spray for pests!

Agreed! Glad to know I'm not the only one who does this except I quit smoking years ago ...:cool:

n9zas

Last edited:

gewecke

Banned
And you are still alive? Well, how many times have you been, "run over"?

WE aren't any more likely to be run over than you are, so to answer your question ... Never! :twisted:

n9zas

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
SW Airline Coming Into Airport

Agreed! Glad to know I'm not the only one who does this except I quit smoking years ago ...:cool:

n9zas

The cops who sometimes stop me on occasion, Woodway PD, stated they could see my head lights and tail lights from a pretty good distance.

It is hard for cars to miss me since I look like I'm coming in for a landing.

When you add the flashing display and LED on my PSR 500, it adds another layer of lights. LOL.

I strongly recommend Cateye & Planet lighting systems. Yes, Cateye is expensive, but they carry a lifetime warranty. If you have problems with their stuff, they replace it without batting an eye.

Back to the road. It is so nice out here in Texas today! Scanner is ready to go!

bee

gewecke and Ensnared, you and others like you two, are much more likely to be "ran over" then me!

People that ride bikes on the highways, roadways, should have to buy, insurance and a tag!

Last edited:

gewecke

Banned
gewecke and Ensnared, you and others like you two, are much more likely to be "ran over" then me!

People that ride bikes on the highways, roadways, should have to buy, insurance and a tag!

I wouldn't know why, since the law says WE have just as much right to ride there as you, as long as we do so legally?
A bicycle is NOT a motorized vehicle so we're not required to have tags or insurance, just common sense which many drivers do not have!
Maybe you should stay home if you don't like us on the roads? :D

n9zas

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Run Over?

Where do you suggest I ride a road bike or hybrid for that matter?

When I used to live in Ft. Worth, Texas during 1965, I remember that I had to obtain a license plate for my bicycle. I doubt they ran license checks back then like they do now.

I suppose there should be more bicycle lanes in cities.

If motorists are too stupid to recognize a bicycle with flashing lights, they need to be retested for visual acuity.

I try to stay to the far right on all roads. I am not a road hog like some people are on bicycles. You find this sort of thing happening in Austin, Texas.

In Texas, the bicycle laws follow the same rules of the road as vehicles. But, we haven't had to have insurance for riding them. I suppose the damage to a vehicle from a bicycle would be minimal. The price of my bicycle would likely be below my deductible.

But, you made a good point. If I was killed by someone driving a car & it was my fault, your insurance would have to pay for any damages to your vehicle. Otherwise, my health insurance would likely kick in to pay for my injuries.

But, as the other person said, "we are not motorized vehicles."

The last statement reminded me of an incident that occurred during the Houston Livestock & Rodeo season. Every year, there are those who like to play Cowboys & Indians. They call this a trail ride & it infuriates me every time I get stuck in traffic behind them.

One year, I noticed someone riding a horse with an open container of beer. He was quite sauced. So, I called the SO & reported him for DUI. People have been ticket for DUI on riding lawnmowers. They did not send a LE unit to arrest this drunk. The dispatch said a horse was not a "motorized vehicle." Technically speaking, it is a motorized vehicle if you consider the physiology of the animal and/or human involved.

Eating food is fuel for the motor inside the human body. There is a process of combustion and/or utilizing fuel, LOL.

Last edited:

Sportster77

Premium Subscriber
One year, I noticed someone riding a horse with an open container of beer. He was quite sauced. So, I called the SO & reported him for DUI. People have been ticket for DUI on riding lawnmowers. They did not send a LE unit to arrest this drunk. The dispatch said a horse was not a "motorized vehicle."

Then how come you can be ticketed for DUI on a bike? Or at least Public Intox charges should have been issued.

gewecke

Banned
This part of the debate I DO agree with, regardless what the vehicle it's still DUI.
I don't care if you're riding a John Deere or a pink hippo, if you're snockered then you need not be on the road! I do see younger bikers in this area with a 12 pack on the back of their bike or motorcycle even, which is fine with me as long as you wait til you get home to enjoy it! Then stay there. :wink:

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Camelbak Filled With Beer To Go With That Scanner?

Oh, this is rich. I'm enjoying these posts. For those who would likely experience DT's if they were to quit drinking, they can now drink 70 ounces or more, depending on the model of Camelbak: CamelBak | Hydration Packs, Bottles, Reservoirs, Drinks & Accessories

What I haven't tried on my bicycle is texting while riding. I don't think this is a wise thing to do.

There have been way too many times I've attempted to l/o a frequency or talk group while riding. Sometimes, I have to stop to see the display.

When I had my road bike, I landed in the hospital twice (DVT & lost ACL). My hybrid has suspension & shocks.

Our illustrious state cretin, Pretty Boy Perry, killed a bill that would disallow texting while driving. I believe the statistics on this phenomenon are consistent with drunk driving. Yet, Pretty Boy Perry indicated he did not want to micromanage.

Well, when I'm at the mall or in a crowded area, I purposefully watch people texting & walking. I just wait on them to walk into walls, etc. I suppose I'm a bit sadistic.

What I want to do with my bicycle is to mount a stout mobile scanner antenna. Then, I could really raise the curiosity of officers.

Bottom line. Messing around with a scanner in the car and/or bicycle can get you killed.

I will keep on riding and scanning for the time being.

Last edited:

gewecke

Banned
Ensnared, You might like some of the new smartphone/gps brackets available which I'm told work great to mount a scanner or talkie on the bars in front of you!
I don't have one but we sell them at work. ;)
Check this out,

http://www.bracketron.com/

n9zas

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.