RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > General Scanning Discussion

General Scanning Discussion For general questions not specific to a model of scanner or general discussion of use of a scanner. Location specific posts should be directed to the regional forums listed below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-27-2005, 8:23 PM

Default Signal Stalker vs Signal Stalker II?

Why the ##@$@# can I not find any info on the difference between the two? What is so special about Signal Stalker II?
Pro 106
BCT15
MR8100
Realistic Pro 2006

Visit us at www.guysoflidar.com
Sponsored links
Old 12-27-2005, 8:33 PM

You may want to post this in the Pro-97 thread. Only GRE and RadioShack know. You may want to compare the Pro-83 with the Pro-97 Signal Stalker.

Last edited by JMedley_1; 12-27-2005 at 8:37 PM..
Old 12-28-2005, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airgreek
Why the ##@$@# can I not find any info on the difference between the two? What is so special about Signal Stalker II?
Signal Stalker is the same as Uniden's Close Call. It uses a nearfield receiver to find frequencies.

Signal Stalker II is GRE's 'answer' to Signal Stalker and uses high speed searches to find active frequencies.

Note that the SS is only available on Uniden OEM units while SS-II is only available on GRE OEM units. Radio Shack sells units from both manufacturers.

Joe M.
Old 12-29-2005, 8:02 AM

So which one is better or more effective in your opinion?
Pro 106
BCT15
MR8100
Realistic Pro 2006

Visit us at www.guysoflidar.com
Old 12-30-2005, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airgreek
So which one is better or more effective in your opinion?
Signal Stalker / Close Call is better since the SS-II method can result in finding frequencies that are not the one that triggered the 'search'.

Joe M.
Sponsored links
Old 12-30-2005, 12:47 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Voyager is correct (about the correct frequency). However, I find that the RadioShack version is alot better for weaker signals.
Old 12-30-2005, 9:21 AM

I can't tell you the difference between the two, but I can tell you the signal stalker II works great. I just bought the RS 2055, which has the signal stalkerII, I have been using it here in my town, I read somewhere that the signal stalker is used to find CLOSE signals only, around 1000 feet at most, I have been picking up my local PD/FD all over town, anywhere from a couple of blocks to a few miles, I'm thinking it might be because I'm about 1/2 mile away from the dispatch, but thats still more than 1000 feet.
THEM".

If at first you don't succeed, Destroy all evidence that shows you tried.
Old 12-30-2005, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketMan1
I can't tell you the difference between the two, but I can tell you the signal stalker II works great. I just bought the RS 2055, which has the signal stalkerII, I have been using it here in my town, I read somewhere that the signal stalker is used to find CLOSE signals only, around 1000 feet at most, I have been picking up my local PD/FD all over town, anywhere from a couple of blocks to a few miles, I'm thinking it might be because I'm about 1/2 mile away from the dispatch, but thats still more than 1000 feet.
I get Close Call hits for miles depending on the terrain and the transmitter power.

In your case, are you SURE you are picking up the signal the triggered the hit, or are you picking up the local FD because they happen to be transmitting and the stronger signal that triggered the hit (and would be received in CC/SS) is missed?

When you say you received weak signals, that indicates it was not the signal that triggered the hit in the first place.

Since both START with nearfield receivers, both should in theory have identical range (or very close). CC/SS ends with tuning to the found frequency while SS-II finishes by initiating a SEARCH mode, thus not necessarily finding the hit.

Joe M.
Old 12-31-2005, 8:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager
I get Close Call hits for miles depending on the terrain and the transmitter power.

In your case, are you SURE you are picking up the signal the triggered the hit, or are you picking up the local FD because they happen to be transmitting and the stronger signal that triggered the hit (and would be received in CC/SS) is missed?

When you say you received weak signals, that indicates it was not the signal that triggered the hit in the first place.

Since both START with nearfield receivers, both should in theory have identical range (or very close). CC/SS ends with tuning to the found frequency while SS-II finishes by initiating a SEARCH mode, thus not necessarily finding the hit.

Joe M.
I don't know, I am still very new to this scanner. My display shows:

Sig. Stalker DLY
att "then the freq's being scanned"
Group: 0123456789
Rx: All Bands

"When you say you received weak signals, that indicates it was not the signal that triggered the hit in the first place"

I never mentioned receiving weak signals, if that helps.
THEM".

If at first you don't succeed, Destroy all evidence that shows you tried.
Sponsored links
Old 12-31-2005, 2:33 PM

[QUOTE=RocketMan1I never mentioned receiving weak signals, if that helps.[/QUOTE]

No - mancow did. I was responding to that statement in the same reply. Sorry if it was confusing.

Joe M.