WiFi Interference

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrevorRussell

I am having an issue with my scanner. I know WiFi can cause interference however I have moved my router as far away from the scanner as possible but still get interference on certain frequencies. Anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with the WiFi issues?

cg

Premium Subscriber
My experience with various household devices is that they are not as much of an issue as the power supplies are. The wall warts are notorious for causing all sorts of interference.
Try finding another one to swap out being sure to match voltage and tip polarity.

chris

jim202

The only way to locate unwanted signals is to kill everything one at a time in the house. You would be surprised as to all the devices that generate crap. Don't forget to pull the plug on the TV, the cable box, sat. receiver, any Ethernet devices and all computers.

If you have more than one scanner, kill the ones your not trying to solve the problem on. Some clock radios will generate signals like you would not believe.

Like I said, you basically need to pull the main power breaker on the house and start by turning on one breaker at a time till the problem comes back. Bear in mind that it might take several minutes for the noise to show back up.

Run the scanner on batteries while you try the entire house killing the power. One breaker off at a time is the best move. Like I said, it may take several minutes to have signals come back after the power is restored.

Good luck hunting for it. Don't forget that the problem might not even be in your house. It could be coming from several house down the street. Once had a problem on a public safety frequency that was over a half mile from the dispatch station.

puterman

If you unplug the router and the problem goes away, try changing channels on the router. Post back if you need help with this.

kf4uuz

If you unplug the router and the problem goes away, try changing channels on the router. Post back if you need help with this.
My router was killing my VHF high reception on my scanner. I installed a simple on/off switch where the router wall wart plugs into the AC outlet. Problem solved.
The only down side is I can either listen to my scanner, or utilize my Internet. But I can't do both at the same time.

Jimru

Premium Subscriber
My router was killing my VHF high reception on my scanner. I installed a simple on/off switch where the router wall wart plugs into the AC outlet. Problem solved.
The only down side is I can either listen to my scanner, or utilize my Internet. But I can't do both at the same time.

Would you consider another power supply, as was suggested earlier? Try one from Radio Shack, as they have a good return policy. They have a good selection of replacement power supplies, but check online to see if they have one at the store near you.

Good luck!

kf4uuz

I definitely will get around to purchasing a RS power supply. I am optimistic that this will alleviate this issue for me, as well as for the OP. Thanks for the advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.