scanner choice for aircraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

vindictive42

Premium Subscriber
I am thinking about buying another scanner for aircraft monitoring and need to know which one would suit my needs. I have looked at the icom r6, ar120, bc125 and the bc75xlt. I am looking for a small compact scanner with good audio, low battery consumption and has to have close call feature. So far it looks like bc125 or bc75xlt. which one is better.

thanks

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
My BC125AT works great for civil air. Make sure you get a better antenna. I like the RadioShack center loaded telescoping antenna.

Are you going to be monitoring mil air? The BC125AT is missing part of the frequencies in the band. But, other than that it's a doozy.

Last edited:

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
The BC125AT and the BC75XLT look to be just about the same, with the BC125 having Text Tagging capability and more available channels. The BC75XLT will of course be less expensive.

I'm very happy with my BC125AT. The extra channels isn't so much of an advantage for just scanning the aircraft bands, but the Text Tagging is fantastic!

dmg1969

I will also speak in favor the of BC125AT. I don't monitor air often...usually just when picking up/dropping off relatives at the airport. On the rare occasion that I do, it works great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

N8IAA

I am thinking about buying another scanner for aircraft monitoring and need to know which one would suit my needs. I have looked at the icom r6, ar120, bc125 and the bc75xlt. I am looking for a small compact scanner with good audio, low battery consumption and has to have close call feature. So far it looks like bc125 or bc75xlt. which one is better.

thanks

The 75 doesn't do milair. The 125 does. So, if you aren't interested in milair, go for the 75. Keep extra batteries around for the 125, though. I do monitor A/A refueling on the 125, it actually beats my 15X.

However, my Alinco DJ-X11 beats the 125 for VHF/UHF comms, and the Li-ion battery lasts nearly forever! Better audio too.

Just thought I'd throw in my TCW:)

/\/\ike is right about the Pro-43. Absolutely the best HH I ever owned for monitoring aircraft comms hands down.
HTH,
Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.