RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > General Scanning Discussion

General Scanning Discussion For general questions not specific to a model of scanner or general discussion of use of a scanner. Location specific posts should be directed to the regional forums listed below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2013, 4:00 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Police Transmission Hitting Close To Home

So..I just heard the police make transmissions and rush to a scene.

Then a while later the name of a guy I knew back in high school comes over the scanner for a...disturbance call.

I was like woah! I knew that guy.

This happen to anyone else? Kinda interesting.
Icom 718 // Baofeng UV-5R+ // Yaesu FT-2900R // Yaesu FT-7900R
Sponsored links
Old 11-06-2013, 5:47 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Not a police call, but I heard two EMS calls to my elderly parents' house in the past year and a half. One was for my Mom for severe back pain and the second was for my Dad for a heart attack. The second, I had just arrived at work when he called me and told me his symptoms and that he thought he was having a heart attack. He wanted to let me know where his wallet and important papers were (my mother has the start of dementia). I said OK and immediately told him to call 911. As I was blasting across the river to their house, I heard the call over the scanner in my vehicle. I beat The ambulance and medic there. Thankfully, it was a minor heart attack.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My Scanners: Uniden HP-1, Uniden Bearcat BC125AT and Uniden Bearcat BC355N
Old 11-06-2013, 6:28 AM

Ok not a PD call but an EMS call also....
Was a member of the local FD/EMS on Long Island and Cell phones were just starting out and very few people had them....
So my Plectron goes off for my grandmother's address, and the dispatcher also stated members family.......she was ok just a simple fall but when it hits home well..
Old 11-06-2013, 7:29 AM

Also an EMS call. My grandpa died in 1994 and for about the last 2 years of his life, he developed heart problems so it was in and out of the hospital. My grandma called and said that they were going to take him to the hospital in 1993 and since they lived close by, I was able to hear the ambulance EMT talking to base about my grandpa's heath history and I heard grandpa in the back ground say that he had no pain when asked.
Old 11-06-2013, 8:03 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I'll always remember the time I heard over my scanner a call for a house fire - at my house!!!!!!!!!

I had to meet tem out front to tell them it must be a false call.
Sponsored links
Old 11-06-2013, 1:18 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by awal View Post
I'll always remember the time I heard over my scanner a call for a house fire - at my house!!!!!!!!!

I had to meet tem out front to tell them it must be a false call.

That's a heck of a feeling! Lol.
Old 11-06-2013, 1:48 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quite a few times, actually. If you live in a small town, it's only a matter of time until you hear about someone you know. "Oh! That's (so and so's) house!"

I heard my accountant apparently went north of 0.08% and got arrested, after which she was screaming and tried to kick the windows out. She's a feisty 70-something year-old. Did I mention anything? HECK NO! She's still a good accountant.

The worst is being a volunteer and getting a call to a friend or family member's address. You're fighting the adrenaline all the way there.

But then anyone who works in public safety goes through this too. I was a jail guard at one point in life. I ran into people I know who were "guests of the sheriff" many times, and out in the street, I ran into "alumni" many times. It's part of life doing that kind of work. I told my daughter to take the corrections test because she'd be able to keep seeing all her high school friends again.

Thing about scanning is there are a number of arcane rules and laws. It will do you more harm than good to tip someone you know off if they've gotten jammed up. Stay away from them. Same thing with talking specifics and names. If not for the rules that have been on the books since the 1930s, these people have lawyers who would love to find another source of getting more money. Back in my grandma's day, they used to say, "Loose lips sink ships."

Ears open, mouth shut is a good personal rule with that kind of stuff.
Old 11-06-2013, 2:23 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

All the time. Hear names I know on the air quite a bit. (Am constantly listening for my kids names, so far so good)

Last night, there was a call just down the street..

And I agree with 902 "What's heard on the scanner, stays on the scanner"
Old 11-06-2013, 4:30 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Thanks for the stories guys! Thanks for the tip 902. Mum's the word right.
Sponsored links
Old 11-06-2013, 5:40 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Heard the EMS call for my son after he rode his bike in the path of a car on his way to school.Happened right at our house. Not a good feeling to have when you're on the road and an hour away.
Old 11-06-2013, 5:47 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by markandjere View Post
Heard the EMS call for my son after he rode his bike in the path of a car on his way to school.Happened right at our house. Not a good feeling to have when you're on the road and an hour away.

That's terrible. Hope your son is okay.

An hour away? Great reception!
Old 11-06-2013, 6:11 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

He was banged up and sore ..... only had a big toe broken though .....he was lucky. The car was going about 35 mph. He went over the hood from pass side to the drivers door and "removed" the side mirror. His left leg was up on the pedal at the highest point of the crank and I think that is why he was not gurt more seriously.
Old 11-06-2013, 7:08 PM

About 15 years ago, one of the guys on our volunteer fire department got pulled over in the neighboring township for a minor violation. He didn't get a ticket but about 5 of us heard his name go over the air. So, boys being boys, after about the 30th guy in the firehouse said they heard him getting pulled over, we had to stop cause he was getting madder with each guy.
Old 11-06-2013, 8:28 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by NESN View Post
About 15 years ago, one of the guys on our volunteer fire department got pulled over in the neighboring township for a minor violation. He didn't get a ticket but about 5 of us heard his name go over the air. So, boys being boys, after about the 30th guy in the firehouse said they heard him getting pulled over, we had to stop cause he was getting madder with each guy.
LOL. We probably would have put his car up on blocks or taken the air out of his tires for driving in such a way that he got pulled over. We never wanted to mess up good relations with the local PDs.
Old 11-06-2013, 9:31 PM

It is real interesting sometimes. Back in 1982, my wife (at the time) and I stopped at a gas station. The station required prepay before turning the pump on even then and I sent her in with a $20.00 bill. I put in the fuel and we pulled off. One of my ham buddies called me on the local repeater and asked if I had just left the town after buying gas. I said yes and he said he heard on the scanner that they just put a bolo on my vehicle as a gas drive off! I turned around, drove back and went in with the wife to see the clerk. He looked up and said uh ohh, I guess you guys did pay. I remember that lady. He called the local PD and got everything cleared up. What a duffoos!
Sponsored links
Old 11-07-2013, 12:47 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

There's some great stories being shared. Thanks guys.
Old 11-07-2013, 5:35 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I've responded to many calls that involved friends and family members. My first cardiac arrest was for a childhood friend's grandfather. It is what it is - take it one call at a time.
Old 11-07-2013, 8:38 AM

When I was a Police Lieutenant in a city in New Jersey, I was assigned an unmarked vehicle, a Pontiac Bonneville.

Early one morning as I was driving into work, civilian clothes of course, I intercepted a radio assignment for a reported armed robbery in progress. I was not too far away, so I “answered up” and reported that I would be responding to back up the responding units. Now keep in mind everything is occurring quickly and simultaneously. Just as the first units arrive at the reported armed robbery they determine it is unfounded, our dispatcher reports that the State Police are involved in a motor vehicle pursuit.

Just as they put the description of the vehicle being pursued out on the air, I realized that the unmarked car behind me was not one of ours – standard 4dr crown vic – that was also responding to the armed robbery call - but an unmarked State Police car. I stopped – after a minute or so of showing Id – everything was ok – but talk about the dispatch hitting close to home .
Old 11-07-2013, 9:45 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Had it happen a couple of times.

First time was an EMS call for a guy who lives just down the hall from me in our apartment building. Fell and banged his head pretty hard. It freaked his girlfriend out, but he refused treatment when the ambulance arrived.

Second time was when I heard the local PD running the plate of a co-worker. Seems she was just a little too heavy on the gad pedal. She was clocked doing 56 in a 35 residential area. At first she couldn't understand why I was calling her Speed Racer the next morning at work.

Haven't heard any calls concerning any family members.....yet. LOL

Old 11-07-2013, 10:04 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I heard my son's girlfriend getting pulled over for a "moving violation" a few weeks ago....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk