Weather freq bleeding on into other channels

Status
Not open for further replies.

fenderblue

MY 396XT is picking up the local 162.4750 NOAA chan on several of my channels-155.625,155.925,151.2725,155.895, and a few more. My HP does not and also my RS pro 2046 has the problem as the 396xt. Am using a ST2 w/50' RG6. I will admit I have splitter and a TV amplifier in the system. My tower is within 3 miles. I have always had problem with NOAA bleeding in my pro 2046 if I was within a 3 block of the tower. My zip is 64429. What changes do you think I should take?

w2xq

Mentor
Wirelessly posted (Moto Droid Bionic: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.1.2; en-us; DROID BIONIC Build/9.8.2O-72_VZW-22) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

I'd start by removing the amplifier from the configuration. Receivers' front ends are probably overloaded. HTH.

w2xq

Mentor
Wirelessly posted (Moto Droid Bionic: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.1.2; en-us; DROID BIONIC Build/9.8.2O-72_VZW-22) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

I'd start by removing the amplifier from the configuration. Receivers' front ends are probably overloaded. HTH.

w2xq

Mentor

wtp

a better question

do you need an outside antenna?
if what you listen to is local you may not need it.
to set attenuation on 396xt it is either under system or site settings
a friend of mine had to get an outside antenna even though his county tower is 1 mile away.
just have fun

kg4ojj

Premium Subscriber
When in Americus, GA, I have this same problem. No attic or rooftop antenna, though. On my PSR GRE-410 scanner, I use global attenuation and it works. I still have to lockout some frequencies.

Would anyone have a specific recommendation for a notch filter to exclude weather radio interference???

fenderblue

Contacted PAR about getting a filter etc. Yes, I have outside antenna inside. I sure hate to eliminated some channels. Haven't tried to change attenuation, not really handy like the HP1.

wtp

wow

for the 396t attenuation is by system
but for the 396xt it is by frequency in the systems so
program system
elect system
edit group
select group
edit channel
select channel
set attenuator

ok more than a mouthful
hope it helps

wtp

but...

did you try the radio with just the regular antenna.
try a radio shack 800 mhz antenna if that is the band of choice for that radio.
the idea is to cut (attenuate) reception of the band that you don't want.
when going down a main road here all kinds of 800 mhz crap gets into the sheriffs system on my 396t.
it was easier to get a stubby antenna (one and a half inches) then to turn on the attenuation.
there is a cell tower a few hundred feet from the sheriffs tower. the other way is to remove the antenna and yes it will receive strong signals. it is easy to see if a transmitter is close
the amatuer folks call it fox hunting (find the transmitter)
play around and see what happens
on receive only there is no rules
even a bent paper clip is an antenna!
have fun

fenderblue

wtp---no I didn't try another antenna but just clicked yes on the attenuator to shut off for the few channels that was bothering and it worked so far now. I don't know what happens when I shut my phone off as far as the memory remembering it.

kjo1981

I had the same issue with NOAA Wx interference on my handheld scanner and a cheap RS stubby or "race" antenna fixed me right up.

K5MPH

Brownsville Texas,On The Border By The Sea.
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Remove the preamplifier,you might be over loading the front end of these radios most scanner have weak from ends.......

Status
Not open for further replies.