RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > General Scanning Discussion

General Scanning Discussion For general questions not specific to a model of scanner or general discussion of use of a scanner. Location specific posts should be directed to the regional forums listed below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-22-2014, 10:00 PM

Default Hobby CAD

Hi folks!

I am here to see how many of you are familiar with and interested in Computer Aided Dispatch (CAD) software. As a scanner junky myself, I enjoyed logging all the calls I heard over the scanner and keeping track of inceidents. I found some software that I enjoyed using, but it was typically very limited use unless you dropped some major cash first.

So, as any reasonable hobbyist do, I decided to dedicate many hours of my free time to developing a very feature rich, 100% free CAD system. However, before I move forward with it, I wanted to see how many of you are even interested.

So if anyone wants to throw in their 2 cents, please do. Are you interested? Do you know anyone not involved in these forums that would be interested? Have you used CAD software before? What did you like or hate about that software?

If anyone is interested, I'll throw some pictures up to show you what it looks like.

Hope to hear from many of you!
Sponsored links
Old 02-24-2014, 5:56 PM

Location: Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very cold.

Can't speak for anyone else, but as you see below in my sig, I'm more interested in monitoring someone else's CAD systems rather than running my own. What would some of the uses be for having your own CAD software? Outside of maybe using it to run a local notification service or something I confess I really don't know what I'd do with such a thing. Sounds like alot more work than reward to me.

-AZ
Old 02-24-2014, 6:38 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I like the idea.

Maybe it can include a mapping capability also.
Old 02-27-2014, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC0RV View Post
I like the idea.

Maybe it can include a mapping capability also.
Absolutely! Been working on that one.

Any other ideas? I'd love to hear it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZScanner View Post

Can't speak for anyone else, but as you see below in my sig, I'm more interested in monitoring someone else's CAD systems rather than running my own. What would some of the uses be for having your own CAD software? Outside of maybe using it to run a local notification service or something I confess I really don't know what I'd do with such a thing. Sounds like alot more work than reward to me.

-AZ
Well I definitely like that idea as well. I would love to incorporate that into HobbyCAD. Unfortunately, it would only be available for certain areas as not every city and county releases that information.

The main idea is for personal records. the possibility of using it to send alerts is definitely one that I will look into adding. probably through SMS or email. AZScanner, you have definitely opened my mind and given me some new ideas for it.

Tags
cad, computer aided dispatch, software