RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > General Scanning Discussion

General Scanning Discussion For general questions not specific to a model of scanner or general discussion of use of a scanner. Location specific posts should be directed to the regional forums listed below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-29-2014, 9:21 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default P25 Skip Question

Back when Houston PD was very active, I used to hear them from time to time in Waco, Texas using analog UHF. Although the signal would fade a bit, it was still possible to follow the action.

Today, I was reading a post that prompted me to ask myself, "how does skip affect P25 transmissions, particularly on VHF trunking or VHF conventional?

I would appreciate some feedback on this.
Old 03-29-2014, 9:41 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensnared View Post
"how does skip affect P25 transmissions, particularly on VHF trunking or VHF conventional?

I would appreciate some feedback on this.
Tropospheric propagation on VHF and higher bands should not affect a digital signal any different than an analog signal. It normally isn't like ionospheric propagation on HF where you often have multipath phase distortion.

Weak P25 signals don't decdode as well as strong local ones and usually when there is a band opening on the VHF and higher bands the signals are a lot weaker than local ones.
Old 03-29-2014, 10:06 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Skip Question Answered

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd5y View Post
Tropospheric propagation on VHF and higher bands should not affect a digital signal any different than an analog signal. It normally isn't like ionospheric propagation on HF where you often have multipath phase distortion.

Weak P25 signals don't decdode as well as strong local ones and usually when there is a band opening on the VHF and higher bands the signals are a lot weaker than local ones.
Thank you for your answer to my post. I've already experienced what a diminished signal sounds like in digital mode. I chuckle when I read about someone associating weak P25 signals with encryption. Yes, there is some similarity in sound.