RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > General Scanning Discussion

General Scanning Discussion - For general questions not specific to a model of scanner or general discussion of use of a scanner. Manufacturer specific posts should be directed to the appropriate forums below and location specific posts should go in the appropriate regional forum..

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-22-2015, 3:39 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

The first "Scanner" I had was one that you had to use manually punched punch cards to program the frequencies into the scanner. You had to purchase the un-punched cards, and they weren't cheap. I can't recall what the Mfg was.

I then moved up in the world the Tennelec scanner where you had to manually program the frequencies to be scanned using a series of codes you punched into the scanner. You needed to read the owners code manual to determine the proper sequence of digits to punch into the scanner. Without the manual, you were lost.

Then I had the Regency crystal controlled scanned but only scanned 8 frequencies. The crystals cost somewhere between $15 to $20 each, which was a lot of money way back when.

Most Police depts were on VHF Low Band and the larger metro areas were on the VHF High band.

I had several Radio Shack/Realistic "Patrolman" manual tuned radios prior to that.

Last edited by pratzert; 03-22-2015 at 3:54 PM..
Sponsored links
Old 03-23-2015, 1:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by contaucreek View Post
Started with a Patrolman mini in 1977. Went on to a tunable Panasonic, 4 channel crystal portable, a BC portable years ago then out of it for a long time. I now listen on my phone!

I remember a funny story I read in the paper about the Toronto Police way back in the day. Seems a couple of reprobates thought they would play a trick on the dispatch and the rest of the platoon. With one cop beating on his chest to make the sound of a helicopter the other said something to the effect of "chopper one...we need assistance now"

Many cruisers were sent...

Toronto had no police helicopter...
There's a joker in every deck...we used to have a Deputy locally who liked to freak out the Dispatchers. When they were training a new one (or one of us lowly RDS was working Dispatch) and you gave him a Signal 37 because you hadn't heard from him in awhile and wanted to make sure he was okay or at least awake, he'd answer in a panicked voice, "10-36, Signal 45!" And the Dispatcher would go nuts frantically looking up the 10-code and Signal to see just what kind of trouble the guy was in...only to discover he was telling them that they needed to give station identification and time stamp...

Whenever he did that (and it was a joke that got kinda run into the ground, if you take my meaning) I always wondered what the folks with what we used to call "home monitors" thought of it.
Old 03-23-2015, 2:37 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I started in the sixties with a multi band AM/FM/PSB radio with analog tuner. Graduated when my parents bought me a Fanon Courier portable scanner to listen to the NYPD on. Ah, the good old Radio Shack days searching through the drawers looking for the right crystals. I got my first digital programmable scanner when Uniden released the Bearcat 100. Had the first trunk tracker, then the BC245 EDACS trunk tracker. Fast forward to now...my BCD 436 and 536, my 396T and my 996XT, plus the Home Patrol 2 in the car. Love my modern radios...but there was nothing better than the challenge of tuning that multi band radio looking for FDNY and NYPD.