RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > General Scanning Discussion

General Scanning Discussion - For general questions not specific to a model of scanner or general discussion of use of a scanner. Manufacturer specific posts should be directed to the appropriate forums below and location specific posts should go in the appropriate regional forum..

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2015, 7:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTS2000des
growing up in the 1980s in good old corn Cobb county, GA was a great place to enjoy scanning, and still is.
Yes but there isnt as much stuff to listen to IN ANALOG now
Sponsored links
Old 04-03-2015, 8:03 AM

My first scanner was a tunable. 1970. The receive was wide enough I could hear 155.49, 155.64 and 155.67 all at the same time, which enabled me to hear everyone near me without re-tuning.

The thing that was so nice about scanning back then was that everybody and everything going on was on one channel. My local PD had one channel Motorola's with a control head under the dash, and a transceiver in the trunk the size of a briefcase. When they started using a channel two, it took a few years for all the mobiles to have it.
Old 04-03-2015, 10:46 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

It was 1977. I worked in downtown San Diego at 5th and A st. I rode the "K" bus. (That's right, more than enough letters in the alphabet back then to cover all S.D. Transit routes). One day I'm on the bus, sitting up front, as close to the driver as possible. At first I can't figure out what I'm hearing. But it dawns on me it must be the S.D.P.D. But why would the bus driver be getting police transmissions? I asked the bus driver. He told me about scanners and how I could buy one at Radio Shack.

The next thing that threw me was that I didn't see any scanner! Turns out the driver had it hidden in plain sight in an orange juice carton on the dash. It was against policy for him to be using it. And whenever he encountered another bus, all his coworkers every saw was a carton of orange juice on the dash, totally legit. He swore me to secrecy. I agreed and bought myself a Realistic Patrolman PRO-4A VHF-HI scanner.
Attached Images

Old 04-03-2015, 11:30 PM

This is a great trip down memory lane.
Old 04-04-2015, 5:18 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilLithiumMan View Post
It was 1977. I worked in downtown San Diego at 5th and A st. I rode the "K" bus. (That's right, more than enough letters in the alphabet back then to cover all S.D. Transit routes). One day I'm on the bus, sitting up front, as close to the driver as possible. At first I can't figure out what I'm hearing. But it dawns on me it must be the S.D.P.D. But why would the bus driver be getting police transmissions? I asked the bus driver. He told me about scanners and how I could buy one at Radio Shack.

The next thing that threw me was that I didn't see any scanner! Turns out the driver had it hidden in plain sight in an orange juice carton on the dash. It was against policy for him to be using it. And whenever he encountered another bus, all his coworkers every saw was a carton of orange juice on the dash, totally legit. He swore me to secrecy. I agreed and bought myself a Realistic Patrolman PRO-4A VHF-HI scanner.
Nice ad. Love the nostalgia.
Sponsored links
Old 04-04-2015, 7:31 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Smile

Quote:

Must had been in the late 70's or early 80's that I brought a 4 channel crystal control hand held scanner from Sears which was made by Uniden. Ran on batteries and had a ac adapter. I took it everywhere I went.
Old 04-04-2015, 10:34 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray327 View Post
Nice ad. Love the nostalgia.
Radio Shack Catalogs

They have every RS catalog on-line from 1939-2011. Try not to spend so much time there that your eyes can no longer focus on the screen. (Too bad I am unable to follow my own advice).
Old 04-04-2015, 1:28 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Smile

Quote:
Radio Shack Catalogs

They have every RS catalog on-line from 1939-2011. Try not to spend so much time there that your eyes can no longer focus on the screen. (Too bad I am unable to follow my own advice).
I remember my Dad going down to Radio Shack to buy tubes to fix the TV and him using their tube tester. That was a lot of fun watching him fixing the TV and using the tube tester. After I got older, I would get a Radio Shack catalog, I would spend time looking it.
Old 04-05-2015, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexScan780D View Post
I remember my Dad going down to Radio Shack to buy tubes to fix the TV and him using their tube tester. That was a lot of fun watching him fixing the TV and using the tube tester. After I got older, I would get a Radio Shack catalog, I would spend time looking it.
Back in the early 70's we used to look at both RS catalogs and Lafayette Electronics catalogs. Found it to be good reading and full of products.
Sponsored links
Old 04-10-2015, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratzert View Post
The first "Scanner" I had was one that you had to use manually punched punch cards to program the frequencies into the scanner. You had to purchase the un-punched cards, and they weren't cheap. I can't recall what the Mfg was.

I then moved up in the world the Tennelec scanner where you had to manually program the frequencies to be scanned using a series of codes you punched into the scanner. You needed to read the owners code manual to determine the proper sequence of digits to punch into the scanner. Without the manual, you were lost.

Then I had the Regency crystal controlled scanned but only scanned 8 frequencies. The crystals cost somewhere between $15 to $20 each, which was a lot of money way back when.

Most Police depts were on VHF Low Band and the larger metro areas were on the VHF High band.

I had several Radio Shack/Realistic "Patrolman" manual tuned radios prior to that.
pratzert. I still have a tennelec TS-2 scanner & the owners manual for the bianary codes, which like you said without it the scanner is useless. mine still works 73
Old 04-10-2015, 5:11 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by kii908 View Post
pratzert. I still have a tennelec TS-2 scanner & the owners manual for the bianary codes, which like you said without it the scanner is useless. mine still works 73
I kind of recall that I was able to sell mine. (probably only got $20.00)

At the time, I thought I had some of the most advanced scanner technology ever produced... oh wait... I DID ! :.)
Old 04-10-2015, 6:18 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

It was 1987 and the place was Lake Elsinore, CA. I saw a few scanners in the local Radio Shack and had to get in on listening to the Riverside County Sheriff and Fire. I bought a new Pro-31 16 Channel Scanner. The local Radio Shack provided a local Frequency List for the area. Most SO and PD were in VHF so it was Easy. Orange County was on UHF and had their Yellow and BLUE channel on Santiago Peak, They sounded like they were right there. It's funny, after RSO went to 800 then..P25 700 Trunking, Fire snagged most of their old channels.
Troubleshooting Golden Rule #1: Check your connections.
Old 04-15-2015, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratzert View Post
I kind of recall that I was able to sell mine. (probably only got $20.00)

At the time, I thought I had some of the most advanced scanner technology ever produced... oh wait... I DID ! :.)
LOL me2
Old 04-16-2015, 6:01 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexScan780D View Post
Great memories of your Father. Cherish them.

I remember my Dad listening to my scanner(s). When I would head out to a party I would ask him if he wanted me to leave one on for him. He would say, yes.

I don't think he got a kick out of the scanner like I do but he was a good man to indulge me in my hobby.
// Yaesu FT-270R
Old 04-16-2015, 11:22 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

My dad always gave me crap about my radios, stereo stuff, and other hobbies "taking all my money".. One of my best memories was one day not long before he died, coming home from school early due to a gas leak, and finding him in my room sitting at my desk listening to my scanner and shortwave. There was a chase going on and he was really into it and he didn't see me until it was over. As he got up to leave, he said, "You've got a lot of neat stuff!". It's the only time he didn't roll his eyes or yell at me when I would buy something new, or even mention a scanner or radio, etc. When I bought that Bearcat III he was listening to the chase on, he yelled at me all the way home from the store. I caught him playing with my trains and slot cars too. He had zero hobbies, all he did when he came home was watch TV and read trashy paperbacks, work was his thing.
Old Yesterday, 7:57 AM

My first scanner was a Handic 006.
This was back in 1974.
After this one I have a few more in my collection.
Look at : Kristalscanner.nl
Old Yesterday, 9:31 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

scannercollector,

Wow... thanks for sharing that video of your collection. I have never seen some of those scanners. You definitely have the scanner bug.

Regards.
Old Yesterday, 9:38 AM

Wink

If you ever comes to The Netherlands contact me and have a look
Old Yesterday, 9:39 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by scannercollector View Post
If you ever comes to The Netherlands contact me and have a look
Thanks for the invitation..... maybe I'll get a chance someday....

Regards.