RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > General Scanning Discussion

General Scanning Discussion - For general questions not specific to a model of scanner or general discussion of use of a scanner. Manufacturer specific posts should be directed to the appropriate forums below and location specific posts should go in the appropriate regional forum..

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-19-2015, 11:45 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

You didn't listen to the same stuff I (and everyone else I knew) did! Yeah, there were days where not much happened, but wow, when the jackpots came, they were awesome! The sex calls, the breakups, the fights, threats, family dramas ( A neighbor who was a real evil guy pulled a really evil plan that blew up in his face, it was amazingly entertaining. It's too long to tell here, but the way it all fell apart and he was tossed out of the house by his wife was one of the greatest things I've ever heard), pimps and hookers, and on and on. Rarely was a "boooorred", usually I was laughing my head off. I miss the hell out of those days.

Old 04-20-2015, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wayfreq View Post
It was 1987 and the place was Lake Elsinore, CA. I saw a few scanners in the local Radio Shack and had to get in on listening to the Riverside County Sheriff and Fire...
I was maintaining that system back then, and spent many a happy day at sites in and around Lake Elsinore. I didn't need a scanner to listen at home. I had a rather clever way of using a Bearcat DX-1000 listening to voted audio at about 200 KHz.
Old 04-20-2015, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny290 View Post
owning an alinco DR-119 in the late 90s taught me exactly how boring cell conversations were.

Yall missed nothing. boooooring "what do you want for dinner" stuff.

Fun to tune in though.
I didn't have a cell-capable scanner...I was at the time married to someone who couldn't abide the sound of a scanner and thought it was immoral to listen to anything and that it probably should have been illegal. But a crony of mine did have one (Pro-2005, maybe...been too many years) modified for cell band and I sometimes listened to that at his house. It was kind of like working Dispatch...hours of boredom and routine stuff interrupted by a few minutes of excitement every now and then!

It sure made me cognizant of what I should and should not say on the cellulars, though.
Old 04-20-2015, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny290 View Post
owning an alinco DR-119 in the late 90s taught me exactly how boring cell conversations were.

Yall missed nothing. boooooring "what do you want for dinner" stuff.
Wow. Waaay off the mark there.

- guys calling home and saying they were stuck at work, then calling the girlfriend and arranging their special time

- copper calling the station and filling them in on what happened at the neighbour's house down the street; nothing informative went over their dispatch channel, but lots on the cell about a woman who picked up a guy at a bar, brought him home and then things went south in a hurry...

- two-train subway crash with print reporters calling in their stories to the news desk and literally taking cash bets on how high the final fatality count would go

- guy calling one of those pay per minute lines where you can meet dates; he'd listen to women's recorded greetings and every time he recorded a reply to one of them, he'd include his vital statistics and for some reason, the reported length of a certain body part kept getting larger; I guess he figured that the lower numbers weren't getting results?

- guy in the park parking lot calling 911 to report guys in a couple of cars checking out handguns that they had in their trunks; since we were in the same lot, we rolled by them and got the vehicle markers and passed them on to the high strung PD crew that assembled down the road; when the excrement hit the fan, we got to see a lone PD sergeant detain a dozen grass-kissing proned out teens with the pointy end of a shotgun; they'd run from the lot and he'd found them; one of them tossed a handgun as the shotgun came out - somehow, that individual didn't get shot

- lots more, not gonna type for an hour

The "local" calls, like the subway incident, were the best - one scanner would be on the repeater input, the other on the output - stereo separation of caller and callee. Good times...
Old 04-20-2015, 10:34 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ11DLN View Post
I didn't have a cell-capable scanner...I was at the time married to someone who couldn't abide the sound of a scanner and thought it was immoral to listen to anything and that it probably should have been illegal. But a crony of mine did have one (Pro-2005, maybe...been too many years) modified for cell band and I sometimes listened to that at his house. It was kind of like working Dispatch...hours of boredom and routine stuff interrupted by a few minutes of excitement every now and then!

It sure made me cognizant of what I should and should not say on the cellulars, though.
Had 2 Pro-2006 and 2 Pro-43 scanners and had lots of fun monitoring everything.
Sponsored links
Old 04-21-2015, 11:43 PM

i'm jealous, you guys got all the juicy stuff! hahahahahah. Great stories.

I noted the other day that nobody really cares about the AMPS cell block any more, or the FCC would be getting crankier over the RTL SDR sticks.
Ham radio with lots of crazy buttons
Fire department radio, a pager and a baby monitor
oh and i have a clock radio that picks up cuba
Old 04-24-2015, 1:50 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

When I started monitoring the airwaves as a kid in the late Sixties, the only restrictions were from the Communications Act of 1934. The only restrictions that would have affected me would be not being allowed to divulge the content of anything we received to anyone else. Since as a kid I wasn't even aware of that, it really made no difference, anyway!
Things started to change for the worse with the passage of the ECPA in 1986.
Old 04-24-2015, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimru View Post
When I started monitoring the airwaves as a kid in the late Sixties, the only restrictions were from the Communications Act of 1934. The only restrictions that would have affected me would be not being allowed to divulge the content of anything we received to anyone else. Since as a kid I wasn't even aware of that, it really made no difference, anyway!
Things started to change for the worse with the passage of the ECPA in 1986.
Got started around the same time. Getting to turn on that old Midland slide-rule radio was predicated on me getting my homework done and that was a huge incentive for me. And I had no idea about the laws at the time...I was often the most popular kid on the bus the next morning, depending on what I'd snagged the night before! Thankfully nobody cared enough about it to make any trouble for me. When the first scanner came along it sort of took some of the fun out of things, though it sure caught a lot more than the tuner did.
Old 04-24-2015, 3:35 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default 800 mhz TV tuneer

Here is a fun memory!
When cell phones first came on the market, there was nothing available to receive 800 mhz.
I found an old 800 mhz TV tuner that was a continuous tune type.
It was easy to attach an antenna, power, and then send the output to a low band scanner.
I believe the output of the tuner was some where in the 45 mhz region.
This set up worked extremely well especially when connected to an outdoor antenna.
Sure had a lot of fun with that set up.

...things sure have changed....
Sponsored links
Old 04-25-2015, 12:10 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmisk View Post
Here is a fun memory!

When cell phones first came on the market, there was nothing available to receive 800 mhz.

I found an old 800 mhz TV tuner that was a continuous tune type.

It was easy to attach an antenna, power, and then send the output to a low band scanner.

I believe the output of the tuner was some where in the 45 mhz region.

This set up worked extremely well especially when connected to an outdoor antenna.

Sure had a lot of fun with that set up.

...things sure have changed....

Very crafty!
Old 08-18-2015, 7:42 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Regency

Dave,

I got this very scanner for Christmas 1980. It sold for $129.95 (Christmas Special!) with 8 crystals installed. I listened to this radio for years until Santa decided it was time to upgrade to a programmable
receiver four years later.

Around the time when Regency released the R804, they launched a massive public relations / sales campaign pending the release of the K500. They published sales brochures explaining ROM and RAM memory and to this day, I think of that brochure whenever the acronym "RAM" is used instead of memory.
The K500 was sold for $499 (whew...). It's odd seeing them turn up on online now for $30.
A co-worker gave me a K500 he picked up at a yard sale a few years ago which still operates.. good keypad / display and weather alert.

Thanks for posting this.

Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHdave View Post
I'll do a bit of a pictorial. Back in the early 80's I was an explorer on my local volunteer FD (I'm 47 now).

I forget the hand me down scanners that I had, but the first scanner I purchased new was a Regency crystal controlled 8 channel.

My first new portable was a Fannon Courier 6 channel

My first programmable scanner was also a Regency, thought that was the best thing since sliced bread, a scanner with no crystals!

Old 08-18-2015, 8:06 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Actually, back in the day. the hobby was called "Monitoring"... not scanning.

Most of my fellow hobbyists used manual tuning on a receiver to monitor the various frequencies of interest.
Old 08-18-2015, 8:16 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I remember if you heard over 20 miles you were lucky. 10 Channel Regency crystal type old 3 band scanner antenna about 40 foot on a tower mounted under my Moonraker 4's
Old 08-18-2015, 8:33 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I remember the old masc scramblers. Sounded like aliens talking lol. There wasn't a muting for it either.
Old 08-19-2015, 10:56 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Thanks to all for the great memories. Im 60 yrs old, I would listen to nyfd riding around in a car
60 miles away in Bridgeport Ct. Had crystal radios ,Then programmable ones. Nothing complicated.
Just plug in a crystal or program any frequency you want in. No folders or needing a computer to
program everything. For some reason I always though the older ones sounded better.
Sponsored links
Old 08-20-2015, 4:38 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

They did sound better. Listening to how bad digital sounds sometimes, both on a scanner and on the local PD/FD radios, I miss when everything was nice, clear, and understandable, unless it was really weak. About the only local thing I listened to that sounded bad was some company's awful muffled handhelds. Their base and mobiles were great, their handhelds sounded like Charlie Brown's teacher. They were constantly getting frustrated and saying, "Just call me!" when they got frustrated. They went to cell phones with Nextel later on, and no more listening to them..
Old 08-20-2015, 1:55 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Got my first scanner in 1982. A Bearcat Four-Six handheld. Took 6 crystals. Best scanner i ever had! Had a bunch of extra crystals that I would swap in and out. That was back when in lived in the SF Bay Area of CA.

I am now in the middle of KS. I found an old Bearcat Four-Six in near mint condition and loaded her up with crystals found on the Internet. The date stamp in the battery compartment is January 1979! It works and sounds perfect!

In the small city I live in the PD and SO are still UHF along with VHF stuff.

So right now I have my Bearcat Four-Six crystal scanner next to me scanning the local PD and SO. And I also have my new BCD325D Digital scanner listening to the KHP and other state agencies on the P25 system.

So I am living in both worlds! "Back in the day" and the modern world of digital!
Attached Images

Last edited by fredg; 08-20-2015 at 2:05 PM..
Old 08-26-2015, 1:10 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I got started in the radio hobby when I got my first scanner back in 1982. It was a 4-channel Regency cyrstal scanner. Due to the fact that my town, as well as 5 other surrounding towns, all shared the same 2 VHF-Lo police frequencies and 1 VHF-Lo fire frequency there was a lot to listen to, even without the cordless phone conversations (which I heard more than a few of).

That little Regency opened the door for me...not long after I got the Regency I acquired a Radio Shack 4-channel crystal handheld scanner. The fun really started once I got my first programmable scanner...a Bearcat 100XLT handheld. As time went on I kept adding to my scanner collection. I listened to everything that I could program in, though I eventually settled on listening to my local PD's and FD's, FDNY, aviation, and railroads.

I love radio....listening to my scanners prompted my to get my amateur radio license. Scanners also helped me find my career...for the last 23 years I've been an emergency services dispatcher for the town that I grew up in. Fortunately, when I'm working, I no longer have to listen to those 5 other towns. A few years ago each town switched from the 3 shared VHF-Lo frequencies to their own individual UHF PD and FD frequencies.

It's been a lot of fun listening all these years
Old Yesterday, 2:27 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I go back to the "Little Tiger" days. I had two of them, one for Toledo PD, and another, tuned off freq by a ham neighbor, for Toledo Fire. Then came the Regency "Monitoradios" and finally in 1974, a Bearcat III scanner I had for about 10 years. In 1980, I went to a Bearcat 210 as my primary radio, and in in 1983 or so, I began buying handheld after handheld. I had over 60 of them over the years, including some oddballs like the Yupiteru 7100 and 9000, the little Welz/Standard WS-1000, and all the common scanners and HTs. Things have changed a lot, and in some ways, not for the better.