So, not many choices for digital scanners?

Status
Not open for further replies.

merlin2375

Basically the BCD396XTC is pretty much the only option that I can see. There is the Pro-106 but that seems to be discontinued or hard to find. In both cases accessories seem to be expensive.

I remember back in the old days with analog scanners, there were lots of options from super cheap to more expensive. Of course digital is more complex but the prices seem very high for the few options and they don't even throw in a USB cable or the software. For $400+, you can buy a full on laptop with an operating system so I don't think a USB cable/software is an unreasonable request. Further, it's not 100% clear that for that money the scanner will be future proofed for very long?

Do folks expect to see more options come out as the switch to digital continues? Any other scanners I should look at? What am I missing?

Thanks!

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Basically the BCD396XTC is pretty much the only option that I can see. There is the Pro-106 but that seems to be discontinued or hard to find. In both cases accessories seem to be expensive.

I remember back in the old days with analog scanners, there were lots of options from super cheap to more expensive. Of course digital is more complex but the prices seem very high for the few options and they don't even throw in a USB cable or the software. For $400+, you can buy a full on laptop with an operating system so I don't think a USB cable/software is an unreasonable request. Further, it's not 100% clear that for that money the scanner will be future proofed for very long?

Do folks expect to see more options come out as the switch to digital continues? Any other scanners I should look at? What am I missing?

Thanks!

Uniden.... BCD396XT - BCD996XT - Home Patrol-1 - BCD436HP - BCD536HP <----- these last 3 include free software and cable. The first 2 can use free software available on the web (Freescan).

Whistler will be coming out with some units in the near future, mostly clones of the PRO106 and the PRO197 to begin with.

merlin2375

Thanks for the heads up! I did see some mentions of the Home Patrol, 436, 536 but these scanners are going in the wrong direction cost-wise and are more expensive than the 396/996.

Freescan is a good option for sure.

Didn't see anything about the Whistler but will keep my eyes peeled. A scanner for $249 that can do digital/trunking and comes with a USB cable works with freescan and/or comes with software would sell like hotcakes.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the heads up! I did see some mentions of the Home Patrol, 436, 536 but these scanners are going in the wrong direction cost-wise and are more expensive than the 396/996.

Freescan is a good option for sure.

Didn't see anything about the Whistler but will keep my eyes peeled. A scanner for $249 that can do digital/trunking and comes with a USB cable works with freescan and/or comes with software would sell like hotcakes.

Check here for Whistler:

Whistler WS1065 Digital Desktop Radio Scanner - RadioShack.com

Whistler WS1040 Digital Handheld Scanner - RadioShack.com

and here:

http://forums.radioreference.com/general-scanning-discussion/291142-rs-vs-ud.html#post2189794

Subliminal87

I just picked up a 396XT for $350 would have been less but I wanted faster shipping. Was brand new from fingerhut,I never ordered anything from them.

I'll get a 436 or MAYBE a 536 later on. Not too sure. Most likely a 436. Then i'll sell the 396xt and pick up a 536.

Status
Not open for further replies.