Is anyone using LTE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tvdxer

Is any public safety agency currently using LTE for dispatch?

If not, when do you think the first agency to regularly use LTE will make the switch?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
LTE is currently only being used for data, however VoLTE (Voice over LTE) is coming.

It's probably going to be a while. FirstNet still can't seem to get their act together, never mind make any solid decisions. While I'm sure an LTE based network for public safety will have it's place in large population centers, there are still a lot of agencies still using analog. So many have spent millions on P25, it's going to be a while before they can afford to replace those systems.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
It is used in England also.

There are rumors (I haven't bothered to look them up, so this may be old news) that the UK is planning to sunset its TETRA network in favor of an LTE replacement.

That's what they said about trunking, edacs, and p25/tdma

While that's true, these modern protocols are being designed to keep eavesdropping out. Trunking and other such stuff still has as a base the same general design of radiocommunication that Marconi used.

RobKB1FJR

Premium Subscriber
I don't think we will see a nationwide LTE network like some people are saying. More trunking and p25 are more likely on a regional/state level.

SCPD

QRT
Let's remember how fast the feds move at things. Maybe in our lifetime we will see it, maybe not.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
I think (don't quote me) the city of Lubbock may be using LTE for their data in their cars.

Sent from my ME173X using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.