Scanner Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

wagondriver12

Premium Subscriber
Ok I need help. I just moved into a new house and my reception is crap now. If I put my scanner outside it works fine the second I bring it in I can only pick up local departments. I live in Baltimore and the city are county are both using a P25 system.. Like I said county works fine city is another story. Its almost like this house is lead lined. My questions is I see they sell amplifires for scanners are they any good? Or am I wasting my money? How about a antenna upgrade what is good or again wasting my time? I have three scanners all radio shacks a Pro 96,2096 and a Pro 106. All worked wonderful till the new house. I am scratching my head now. Thanks in advance.

DickH

Ok I need help. I just moved into a new house and my reception is crap now. If I put my scanner outside it works fine the second I bring it in I can only pick up local departments. I live in Baltimore and the city are county are both using a P25 system.. Like I said county works fine city is another story. Its almost like this house is lead lined. My questions is I see they sell amplifires for scanners are they any good? Or am I wasting my money? How about a antenna upgrade what is good or again wasting my time? I have three scanners all radio shacks a Pro 96,2096 and a Pro 106. All worked wonderful till the new house. I am scratching my head now. Thanks in advance.

Before you do anything, put the scanner beside a window. Glass will not bother radio waves.
Your house may have aluminum siding or insulation in the walls with a metal backing.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Like the County, Baltimore city uses a LSM driven simulcast system which is difficult for consumer grade scanners to handle. Part of your problem may be that you are receiving signals from more than one tower at a time, causing a simulcast distortion issue. This has been widely discussed in the Maryland forum in the past.

Before you try another antenna, try putting some attenuation on the city system....Mike

rob12770

pre amps WILL bring the signal in a little bit better BUT ( and she has a big butt) it will also bring in the noise more too..thay are handy to have though.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
If I put my scanner outside it works fine the second I bring it in I can only pick up local departments.

Then the solution to your problem is obvious--you need an outdoor antenna. Something in your home's walls is blocking radio signals. It could be aluminim siding, or the wire mesh stuff they put under stucco, or any of several other commonly-used building materials.

An ST-2 mounted on a pole above the roofline will work wonders for your reception.

Blackink

I concur.....

Then the solution to your problem is obvious--you need an outdoor antenna. Something in your home's walls is blocking radio signals. It could be aluminim siding, or the wire mesh stuff they put under stucco, or any of several other commonly-used building materials.

I live in a mountainous region and my BCT15X works better when I go outside and down one level, go figure.
My house is wood frame structure with vinyl siding.

An ST-2 mounted on a pole above the roofline will work wonders for your reception.

After I installed my ST-2 antenna, mounted it on a 10' pole above my peaked metal roof....B-A-M....reception improved dramatically !!!! Maybe as much as 100% improvement from what I was getting with the stock antenna.

Follow Nike's lead......Just Do It !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.