"Expert" radio scanner hobbyist??

Status
Not open for further replies.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
In my opinion, only a few of us expert radio scanning hobbyists are truly happy with the x36HP line of scanners.

Saw this in another thread and it got me to thinking. What exactly makes one an "expert radio scanner hobbyist?"

Many, many years in the hobby?

Owning at least a dozen radios?

An antenna farm in your back yard that rivals anything the NSA might have?

Over-inflated ego?

All of the above? None of the above? Something else?

Inquiring minds want to know!!!

:)

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
There's a guy who styles himself as a 'professional scanner user'. Subscribed to see if he chimes in!

Voyager

Someone who knows scanner/radio terms, technologies, and practices, and the function of the x36 series.

Not saying that defines a "expert radio scanner hobbyist", but those are the people who will most enjoy the x36 line due to all the advanced features.

Although many people with confidence will be accused of having the "Over-inflated ego", too.

Certainly something that would not qualify either way are the:

You can be a newbie with one scanner and no antennas and be an expert scanner hobbyist as long as you know the function of various scanners.

EDIT: Jay: Do you mean Developer? (not user)

methusaleh

I would say someone who makes their living from some aspect of the monitoring hobby, and knows how to program things, design antennae, etc.

Believe it or not, there is at least one store that exists that is a scanner store, it is in Massachusetts, and a good friend of mine is one of the owners (or sole proprietor...not sure).

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Saw this in another thread and it got me to thinking. What exactly makes one an "expert radio scanner hobbyist?"

Over-inflated ego?

Oh come on, link the actual thread... Inquiring minds want to know...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Anytime someone declares themselves to be a self-described 'expert', I think of the definition we used for an expert when I worked as an automotive technician:
An expert is a drip under pressure.

There are some areas I know a good deal about; others, I have a basic working knowledge (such as for models of scanner that I've never owned, but are discussed enough in the forums, I've picked up some of the basics. But there are others that I know very little about.The key is knowing the difference between the three.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
I would consider an expert to be the person that other radio people go to for information. That is not likely to be someone that calls them self an expert.

Sent via Tapatalk

cherubim

Premium Subscriber
Quite often the word "expert" is associated with BS artist. I've met a fair few "experts" who are nothing but talk and hot air - they claim to have knowledge but no understanding.

A real expert is knowledgeable and often certified in a particular field of study.

marcotor

I ♥ÆS Ø
Feed Provider
I have meet many "experts" in my travels. In the case of my job, these people are "experts" in the field of Networking and computer technology. We service more than a thousand customers now, and I would guess better than half of these "experts" went to a school that taught them nothing but how to pass the various certification tests.

I would guess stringers would call themselves "Professional scanner users", based on some of the hyperbole I have seen in these forums. My opinion only: "Experts" are like Heroes. If they're really one, they would never have to tell you.

Voyager

I have meet many "experts" in my travels. In the case of my job, these people are "experts" in the field of Networking and computer technology. We service more than a thousand customers now, and I would guess better than half of these "experts" went to a school that taught them nothing but how to pass the various certification tests.

You mean like a telephone serviceman who was called in for a problem with an outside (phone company) network connection, and verified that "yes I see the problem - I can't get a dial tone on this line". :lol:

True story! And no, he was completely serious about it. You would think the 4 pairs would have made him wonder...

In fairness, that was about 15 years ago.

BTW, he was shown the door and the phone company was asked to send someone competent - which they did.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
From the Merriam - Webster Dictionary.

Expert: having or showing special skill or knowledge because of what you have been taught or what you have experienced.

Pretty much covers everyone on this site doesn't it.

signal500

K4DPS
Premium Subscriber

Over-inflated ego?

Yes, I posted that in another thread.

Definitions of expert: a person who has a comprehensive and authoritative knowledge of or skill in a particular area. Having or involving authoritative knowledge.

Under the Urban Dictionary: (1.) Someone Who thinks they knew how to do something but actually just screwed everything up. (2.)Someone who goes into a serious explanation of doing something fairly simple or unimportant like how to drive a bumper car. (3.) When something just doesn't work how you want it to. (4.) an Idiot.

I never really thought about it when I posted that. I consider most of us that have been on RadioReference for years experts in a particular area of the hobby.

I also have to agree that if someone has to tell you that they are an expert, usually there not. It reminds me of the guys I run into that have to tell me that they were former Navy SEALs without me ever asking. Most of the true former Navy SEALs will downplay their involvement in the Navy. The response I usually receive is "I was in construction" or "I did engineering work". Only later will I find out they were SEALs.

My point is, I never meant to call myself an expert. I have been enjoying the hobby since I was a kid. I have owned and operated radio shops in years past. A year ago I started a YouTube channel to help folks with the BCDx36HP line of scanners and still to this day receive emails and PMs on how to use and operate the scanners.

I am a radio hobbyist that enjoys helping people get involved in radio for fun or for business needs. I'm not sure if that qualifies me as an expert and I never meant to come off that way as someone with an inflated ego.

Status
Not open for further replies.