Anyone see the vintage scanners on TV this week?

Status
Not open for further replies.

smason

The Blacklist Season 2 Ep 19, saw a Pro-2020 and (I think) aBearcat 210
Pretty cool to spot these 2 old gems, brought back memories. When I bought my 2020 I was in heaven 20 programmable chhannels! Wow.

But you'd think they'd go for something a bit more modern, given it's a modern-day series....

I remember reading someone post about seeing a GRE PSR somethingerother in Burn Notice a few years back. Had never heard of the show, so I checked it out, and got hooked on the series.

The Blacklist Season 2 Ep 19, saw a Pro-2020 and (I think) aBearcat 210
Pretty cool to spot these 2 old gems, brought back memories. When I bought my 2020 I was in heaven 20 programmable chhannels! Wow.

But you'd think they'd go for something a bit more modern, given it's a modern-day series....

I remember reading someone post about seeing a GRE PSR somethingerother in Burn Notice a few years back. Had never heard of the show, so I checked it out, and got hooked on the series.

Do you mean the scene at 1:46 into the episode showing the Bearcat 210XL sitting atop a Realistic PRO-2020, both stopped on channel 9, 154.800MHz? Sorry, didn't see it.

Attachments

• Blacklist.jpg
    Blacklist.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 517

parnass

AJ9S
Scanners - your head explodes.

What a hobby.

scanners-poster.jpg

bee

I still have a Bearcat 210,, but it doesn't work anymore. It was the 2nd scanner owned. I think, I bought it about 1980.

marksmith

I still have a Bearcat 210,, but it doesn't work anymore. It was the 2nd scanner owned. I think, I bought it about 1980.
I still have about 5 radios with that general footprint and look including the fabulous BC250 with 50, count 'em, 50 programmable channels. Sitting beside a 210xl, 20/20 and a couple others.

They ran for decades.

All of them are now doorstops unfortunately. One still makes the scanning motion like it works. Maybe I can sell it to one of the networks as a prop.

Mark
536/HP1e/HP2e/996P2/996XT/396XT/PSR800/PRO668/PRO652

D

DaveNF2G

I loved that movie. It even had Heather Locklear for a few scenes.

I don't think Hollywood is likely to use scanners that are too "modern" looking because they would not expect the average member of the TV audience to know what they are looking at.

typesix

But you'd think they'd go for something a bit more modern, given it's a modern-day series.....

The series is modern day, but the character using the older scanners is also using other "old" tech like film photography and open reel audio deck(Akai?). He's not into newer stuff or just likes the older stuff that works well and he is also much older than Liz and her peers.

KB7MIB

I have both the Electra Bearcat 210 and the Realistic PRO-2020 scanners. The '210 was my dad's from when he was a fire police officer in PA when I was a kid, and no longer works right, so it's just collecting dust :/
The 2020 is still in use for Phoenix FD A1-A10, VTAC's 11-14, Maricopa County's old Parks VHF that is sometimes used by MCSO for simplex car-car, Circle City/Morristown VFD, Rural-Metro FD ch. 10 West, Maricopa County OEM VHF-Low, and the 123.025 LEA/aero med/media helo air-air & 123.550 Phoenix PD air support unit air-air.

John
Peoria, AZ

re: old scanners in a current show - yeah, I would have expected a BCD536HP connected to a 173 element yagi. I also note there is what appears to be a 20-pin molex connecter from a computer power supply. Weird.

smason

The series is modern day, but the character using the older scanners is also using other "old" tech like film photography and open reel audio deck(Akai?). He's not into newer stuff or just likes the older stuff that works well and he is also much older than Liz and her peers.

Good point. Though he did use a fairly modern laptop. Would have been funny to see an old Compaq luggable. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.