Dispatch Console Graphical User Interface (GUI) Display for Scanners???

Status
Not open for further replies.

KD4YGG

Database Admin
Has anyone produced a Graphical User Interface (GUI) for scanner users that mimics an actual dispatch console, similar to the one shown below? Perhaps a version of Unitrunker or other scanner-specific software? A lot of the packages simply replicate what is on the scanner screen - what I'm interested in is something actually resembles a Centracom screen like E911 dispatchers utilize.

I know Automated Train Control System monitoring (ATCS) users have display of the railroad route that is being monitored… and ACARS monitors can show flights on maps...

It would interesting if you could replicate something similar for your “command center”.

Attachments

• radio_12.jpg
    radio_12.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 2,207

jeatock

Premium Subscriber
The big problem is that each icon on a Centracom screen is addressed to an individual radio resource. The system in the photo probably has over thirty single-channel receive radios addressed. Of course, those radio resources are shared by multiple console instances perhaps in many different buildings or dispatch centers.

Multiple single channel radios are used so that many different channels can be monitored at the same time, either on one console or many.

Keep in mind that in the console world, receiving and transmitting are entirely different functions, and may or may not use the same physical radio out at one of many antenna sites. Transmitting can be done by selecting a resource addressed to a single channel transmitter, or by selecting a channel from a drop down box on multi-channel transmitters. Software cross-mute is used to prevent feedback.

The app requested would really only be useful in shacks with many radios. Centracom consoles are being retired in favor of newer IP-based systems, so perhaps eBay is an option.

BigLebowski

Premium Subscriber
You could piece together a centracom elite console, but it would be overkill for monitoring a few scanners, requiring a 19" rack full of equipment, punchblocks, and cables.

I use "Radiolog" extensively to monitor live feeds, and it can be set up similar to how a console works. Not sure if you could interface actual scanners to it, but if there are live feeds that cover your area it's great. ResponderApps - RadioLog

KD4YGG

Database Admin
You could piece together a centracom elite console, but it would be overkill for monitoring a few scanners, requiring a 19" rack full of equipment, punchblocks, and cables.

I use "Radiolog" extensively to monitor live feeds, and it can be set up similar to how a console works. Not sure if you could interface actual scanners to it, but if there are live feeds that cover your area it's great. ResponderApps - RadioLog

Thanks for posting the Radio log link - that's similar to what I was thinking with the original post...

It would be interesting to see if Unitrunker could be modified for this type of display, or as as add-on.

Thanks again

RKG

You could build a console for multiple received only radios. Use a Zetron 4010: self-contained, desktop unit (no CEB required). Populate it with E&M cards, and program for VOX audio gating. But you'd spend a fortune and not gain much.

At bottom, a console is transmit oriented: it allows single mike and Master Xmit switch to be shifted between "lines" (different radios). Plus such functions as mixing of unselected audio, patches, multi-selects, comparator display and control, and Aux I/O (e.g., opening apparatus doors).

jeatock

Premium Subscriber
There is an app ScannerLive that is pretty cool.

It is not the exact type of thing you requested, but it is sorta similar. ScannerLive does not interface directly with local scanners, but does monitor multiple Broadcastify feeds (up to ten at a time). It does display metadata if it is available.

If you are running RadioFeed on a local scanner it will interface with that scanner over your LAN. There is a free demo then a $20 one-time fee, but it IS worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.