Picking up 5.8 GHz phone on scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

vs1988

Today I was doing a basic search and recieved our 5.8 Ghz cordless phone (someone in the house was on it). The frequency was 463.000, which is the repeater output for MED 1. It was actually picking up both sides of the conversation.

Why is the 5.8 Ghz phone being picked up in the UHF band?

Thanks

Vince

rjschave

What brand and model cordless phone do you have?

I have seen some cordless phones that advertise they are 2.4GHz, but it turns out that is only 1 side of the conversation. The other side is in the 900MHz range.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
I had a Uniden 5.8 that did this as well.... when I dug thru the specs for the phone, base to handet (or vice versa) was 5.8Ghz, while the other way was in the 900mhz range. When replacing the phone I specifically picked one that was full 5.8Ghz (its a Panasonic).

ScanManQSL

Premium Subscriber
QTH: Montgomery County, MD / Washington, DC
Forts said:
I had a Uniden 5.8 that did this as well.... when I dug thru the specs for the phone, base to handet (or vice versa) was 5.8Ghz, while the other way was in the 900mhz range. When replacing the phone I specifically picked one that was full 5.8Ghz (its a Panasonic).

[EDIT Spelling Error] What model did you used to own before you bought a new full 5.8Ghz phone? Im curious because I also own a Uniden 5.8Ghz. (TRU8885-2)

Last edited:

Tom-H

MississippiPI said:
I would very very careful in letting folk know you are monitoring phone conversations--don't want to get caught up in no mess do ya?

Be safe

I see absolutely nothing wrong with monitoring your own phone calls, just be mindful when scanning, as you may pick up others.

Tom-H

eorange said:
Do you pick up 900 MHz images in the 463 MHz range?

Well, 463 mhz times 2 is 926 mhz, which would be in the range of the 900 mhz phones, but I was told that harmonics don't work this way, so who knows what's going on. :confused:

scanfan03

Premium Subscriber
MississippiPI said:
I would very very careful in letting folk know you are monitoring phone conversations--don't want to get caught up in no mess do ya?

Be safe

It sounds like he wasn't trying to pick up cordless phones. His cordless phone came in on an EMS frequency.

Al42

Tom-H said:
Well, 463 mhz times 2 is 926 mhz, which would be in the range of the 900 mhz phones, but I was told that harmonics don't work this way, so who knows what's going on. :confused:
It's the frequency + or minus twice the IF frequency which, these days, is so high that you'd have to very close to a powerful transmitter to receive an image. The Pro-95, for example, has a 380.8 MHz first IF, so images would have to be 761.6 MHz from the actual frequency - which the front end filters would kill. (You'd probably get more 1224 MHz signal leaking directly into the demodulator through the plastic case - at 455 KHz - than would come through the 450 MHz filters.)

Three times the frequency is also possible if the transmitter is putting out harmonics, or there's something near the transmitting antenna producing harmonics (like a rusty joint between two pieces of metal). Or it could be intermod, if it's not continuous, which it probably was (continuous, not intermod) in this case.

Status
Not open for further replies.