San Mateo county CA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbranch

Premium Subscriber
Can anyone recommend a police/EMS scanner for zip code 94002 san mateo county California? Per the database they're on project 25 phase 1. I'm looking a scanner in the under $200 range that I could program and send to my brother that lives there. I believe all he wants is police/fire/EMS scanning capabilities.

Thanks in advance,

Roger

marksmith

You won't find much, if anything, that will handle digital phase 1 for under $200.

You could look for some sales on discontinued models, but I am noticing even the discontinued 396xt is selling for $250 used, and the 996xt is twice that, even though discontinued by Uniden.

Looks like the cheapest out there right now that is capable of digital phase 1 is the Whistler 1065.

Lots of scanners under $200, but they are not digital or trunking radios, both of which is required for phase 1.

Mark
WS1095/536/436/996P2/HP1e/HP2e/996XT/325P2/396XT/PRO668/PSR800/PRO652

marksmith

The Whistler 1040 (handheld) and 1065 (desktop) look like they are both going for around $250.

I don't own either, but I believe they are capable of digital phase 1 reception. You can manually program them, or obtain software to do so.

According to RR wiki, the following are capable (but many are discontinued):

PSR500, PSR600, Uniden 296D, 796D, 396T, 996T, 396XT, 996XT, Homepatrol-1, and the Whistler 1040 and 1065. Only the Homepatrol-1 and Whistler radios are not discontinued by the manufacturer.

Mark

rbranch

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the replies Mark!

The Whistler 1040 (handheld) and 1065 (desktop) look like they are both going for around $250.

I don't own either, but I believe they are capable of digital phase 1 reception. You can manually program them, or obtain software to do so.

According to RR wiki, the following are capable (but many are discontinued):

PSR500, PSR600, Uniden 296D, 796D, 396T, 996T, 396XT, 996XT, Homepatrol-1, and the Whistler 1040 and 1065. Only the Homepatrol-1 and Whistler radios are not discontinued by the manufacturer.

Mark

northzone

Premium Subscriber
Zip 94002 is Belmont. Both Belmont police and fire for that area are analog. You do not need a digital scanner at all, unless he wants to listen to the county Sheriff.

There are a ton of analog sanners in the $100 range. The uniden BC125AT is very nice.

marksmith

Looking over the database for San Mateo County, it does look like a considerable amount of public service activity takes place on non-trunked, non-digital channels.

Mark

rbranch

Premium Subscriber
Mark and northzone thanks for the replies guys.

I think my brother has the typical first time scanner enthusiasm. Wants it ALL but doesn't understand the various formats etc. Since I want to buy it for him and either program it myself, or settle on a preprogrammed for his area scanner. I just don't want to buy a one trick pony in analog if the area is scheduled to go full digital.

When I look at the RR database for zip 94002, all it tells me is P25 phase 1, which I thought was digital. If the majority of police/fire/EMS in Belmont,Ca is analog. Then I guess I need to start looking at those model scanners.

Again, many thanks guys for the replies. And as former Army FA, go AirBorne!
Roger

But on the flip side of the coin, a lower end analog only scanner is just that, lower cost loss etc.

Tahoe1970

Premium Subscriber
Hi Roger,
Here's a quick rundown for Belmont and the surrounding area:
Belmont is in San Mateo Co as you mentioned and surrounded by several cities. It is also possible to scan many of the surrounding counties as they are not far apart and the bay is a big flat spot allowing for good line of site.

Belmont and most (but not all**) cities in SM Co are analog for their law enforcement. The county sheriff's system is digital trunked as you mentioned and requires a digital scanner. Where this will most impact his scanning is that some cities, like **San Carlos which is immediately to the south of Belmont, are contracted to the sheriff dept. for their law enforcement so he would need the digital scanner to hear them. All fire for SM Co is analog for now and I don't know about future plans. Ambulance services are provided separately by AMR and are also dispatched on the digital trunking system so he would need the digital scanner to hear those.

The California Highway Patrol is analog except for if you are very close to their car where they use a digital repeater system but that shouldn't be a big deal. It can be a little difficult to understand their system, but he would be able to hear everything from them on analog so.......

For the surrounding counties, San Francisco, Contra Costa, Alameda (Oakland) are primarily digital systems. Santa Clara Co is primarily digital Phase 2 for the county (so there are even more limited scanner choices), but many of the cities are still analog.

In this area you can also hear marine, rail, and air frequencies as well as state fire (CalFire) which are all analog.

Let us know which way you go and if we can help with anything else.

rbranch

Premium Subscriber
Wow, thank you Tahoe1970!

So considering all that info, I've sent my brother links to reviews and scannermaster.com for the BC125AT. For a nominal fee scannermaster.com will program in the counties you specify when you order the scanner from them.

Much thanks to all for their input!

Roger

Hi Roger,
Here's a quick rundown for Belmont and the surrounding area:
Belmont is in San Mateo Co as you mentioned and surrounded by several cities. It is also possible to scan many of the surrounding counties as they are not far apart and the bay is a big flat spot allowing for good line of site.

Belmont and most (but not all**) cities in SM Co are analog for their law enforcement. The county sheriff's system is digital trunked as you mentioned and requires a digital scanner. Where this will most impact his scanning is that some cities, like **San Carlos which is immediately to the south of Belmont, are contracted to the sheriff dept. for their law enforcement so he would need the digital scanner to hear them. All fire for SM Co is analog for now and I don't know about future plans. Ambulance services are provided separately by AMR and are also dispatched on the digital trunking system so he would need the digital scanner to hear those.

The California Highway Patrol is analog except for if you are very close to their car where they use a digital repeater system but that shouldn't be a big deal. It can be a little difficult to understand their system, but he would be able to hear everything from them on analog so.......

For the surrounding counties, San Francisco, Contra Costa, Alameda (Oakland) are primarily digital systems. Santa Clara Co is primarily digital Phase 2 for the county (so there are even more limited scanner choices), but many of the cities are still analog.

In this area you can also hear marine, rail, and air frequencies as well as state fire (CalFire) which are all analog.

Let us know which way you go and if we can help with anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.