RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog
 

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > General Scanning Discussion


General Scanning Discussion - For general questions not specific to a model of scanner or general discussion of use of a scanner. Manufacturer specific posts should be directed to the appropriate forums below and location specific posts should go in the appropriate regional forum..

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #21 (permalink)  
Old 01-28-2018, 5:54 PM
WaveJam's Avatar
Member
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Frederick, MD.
Posts: 155
Default

G4/G5 all the way. I’ve poured thousands into Uniden, Whistler, many antennas, home made antennas, etc. Its all about your location and in my location (dead center of two very close towers), the Unication blows the doors off of everything. It’s not a scanner so, make sure you understand it’s pros and cons. But for me scanning our local P25 system, it’s just phenomenal. I’ve been battling the simulcast thing for years so I was practically begging Unication to take my money. #ProblemSolved
__________________
Sincerely,
Pete

www.frederickscanner.com
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #22 (permalink)  
Old 01-28-2018, 6:29 PM
davidzimmerman's Avatar
Member
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: parma,ohio
Posts: 1,787
Default

i have the G5 VHF also got the TRX-2 the G5 BLOWS away the TRX-2 because here in Ohio the State Wide System is 700\800 System the TRX-2 don't seem to work like i'm in a dead zone BUT the G5 works 100%
Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)  
Old 01-28-2018, 7:11 PM
eorange's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 2,131
Default

G4/G5 is the only answer, for those who don't want to, or can't, program other commercial radios. Any Uniden/Whistler will be a crapshoot (that leans towards not working) and you'll have no way of knowing until you try it.

Antenna? I am convinced I could have my G4 upside down on the floor under my vehicle's seat and I would still get solid reception. Orientation just doesn't seem to affect this thing. I ride around with the stock antenna as it sits in my cupholder, way below the windshield, and it's perfect reception no matter where I go. I bought a Motorola 700/800 antenna for 10 bucks on eBay, and the already stellar reception opens up trunked systems distant cities (Parma, for those who live here, and I am in the extreme NE corner of Cuyahoga county).

Versatility? A valid point, but ask yourself - do you want crystal clear, distortion free P25 decode, or do you want features that don't have anything to do with actual RF reception?
__________________
√-1 2≥ π
Reply With Quote
  #24 (permalink)  
Old 01-28-2018, 8:25 PM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Denver-Metro
Posts: 1,949
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLIE0319 View Post
My solution? Purchase a Motorola XTS5000. Learn CPS. Hidden channel method. You will thank me later. Better radio, good price, and if you happen to need a wheel chock, you have one.
Amen and Amen! The audio is awesome, especially with a speaker mic.
__________________
"Huhh?? Of COURSE I don't have enough radios, shouldn't that be obvious??! My vehicle has lots of space to put more radios, I certainly do NOT have enough!"
Reply With Quote
  #25 (permalink)  
Old 02-05-2018, 10:11 PM
KR7CQ's Avatar
Member
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 513
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwienke View Post
It depends on whether you want to monitor multiple digital and analog systems, or just one P25 system. And a mast and yagi will pick up more signal than the stubby antenna on the G5. The x36 will pick up stuff the G5 won't even detect. Note the G5 has a sensitivity of 6 microvolts, while the x36 scanners are less than .5 microvolts-->10dB better.

If you're in a strong coverage area, that won't matter. But if you're in a fringe area it's a big deal.
Wow, my experience couldn't be more different, though I know how mileage can vary between people and situations. I've tried both the 436 and 536 with every possible antenna, pointed every possible way, and I was using the yagi method to deal with simulcast more than a decade ago, so I'm pretty familiar with the tricks. The G4/5 picks up every simulcast in Maricopa County from a desk in my office, with no cut-outs I might add. I can't pick up half of those simulcasts with any antenna, at any height, pointed any direction, on the 536. There isn't any way you can point the yagi to receive more than one system well at a time, and even then there are some cut-outs.

By contrast I can set my G4 on a table or hold it in my hand and pick up all of the simulcasts without cut outs. The G4 can copy systems with no antenna attached that the 436 can't even begin to pick up with any duck antenna.

I don't care what any spec sheet says, the G4 is in a different universe from any digital scanner and I've owned, and I've owned them all except for the latest Whistlers.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #26 (permalink)  
Old 02-05-2018, 10:29 PM
Johnnydollar2's Avatar
Member
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: IL
Posts: 902
Default Are there?

deleted
__________________
-------------------------------------------

Last edited by Johnnydollar2; 02-05-2018 at 10:30 PM.. Reason: edits- laughing too hard. never mind
Reply With Quote
  #27 (permalink)  
Old 02-06-2018, 9:40 PM
KR7CQ's Avatar
Member
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 513
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnydollar2 View Post
deleted
Too bad, I would have liked to have seen that post.
Reply With Quote
  #28 (permalink)  
Old 02-06-2018, 10:36 PM
Johnnydollar2's Avatar
Member
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: IL
Posts: 902
Default Are there?

Ha, well, the title/question of the original post says it all. It made me spit my Cherry Coke zero out while laughing.
__________________
-------------------------------------------
Reply With Quote
  #29 (permalink)  
Old 02-06-2018, 11:13 PM
WX4JCW's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: All Over
Posts: 1,798
Default

I have tested the G4 on several systems, consistently i have found that i can receive simulcast systems with just the tiny antenna much farther than a 536 with a mobile antenna of any type I've tried, yes a Motorola Radio would be better, however the G4 requires no system key hacking no expensive RSS, and no inadvertent possibility of accidentally affiliating and getting your multi thousand dollar radio bricked.

example is Nashville, i can start picking the Simulcast tower at the KY/TN line on I-65 and get consistent decodes
__________________
Jason WX4JCW EMD/FF/EMT RET
Like Johnny Cash's Song I've been everywhere man, ive been everywhere and monitored it
SDS100,XPR7550,SDR
Reply With Quote
  #30 (permalink)  
Old 02-07-2018, 10:41 AM
KR7CQ's Avatar
Member
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 513
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WX4JCW View Post
I have tested the G4 on several systems, consistently i have found that i can receive simulcast systems with just the tiny antenna much farther than a 536 with a mobile antenna of any type I've tried, yes a Motorola Radio would be better, however the G4 requires no system key hacking no expensive RSS, and no inadvertent possibility of accidentally affiliating and getting your multi thousand dollar radio bricked.

example is Nashville, i can start picking the Simulcast tower at the KY/TN line on I-65 and get consistent decodes
The G4 can pick up a simulcast at a greater range than any scanner with any antenna, at any height, pointed in any direction, at least for me, here in Phoenix, with our systems / simulcasts.
Reply With Quote
  #31 (permalink)  
Old 02-07-2018, 5:54 PM
eorange's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 2,131
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KR7CQ View Post
I don't care what any spec sheet says, the G4 is in a different universe from any digital scanner and I've owned
Totally agree. Specs do not tell the whole story. People have varying successes with the x36s, but I have never heard of anyone having anything other than 100% success when using a Unication. What does that tell you?

I'm amazed that the Unication antenna which is 1/3 the size of my pinky finger can pull in so much, so clear, and so error-free. But this is what you get when hardware is designed at the outset to achieve a specific goal. Unication nailed it.
__________________
√-1 2≥ π
Reply With Quote
  #32 (permalink)  
Old 02-09-2018, 9:05 AM
WX4JCW's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: All Over
Posts: 1,798
Default

Orlando Orange County is LSM hell
Not with the Unication G4
https://youtu.be/RikFtFjd06I


Sent from my iPhone 8 using Tapatalk Pro
Jason WX4JCW
Unication G4, BCD536HP
__________________
Jason WX4JCW EMD/FF/EMT RET
Like Johnny Cash's Song I've been everywhere man, ive been everywhere and monitored it
SDS100,XPR7550,SDR
Reply With Quote
  #33 (permalink)  
Old 02-09-2018, 12:00 PM
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 430
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eorange View Post
I'm amazed that the Unication antenna which is 1/3 the size of my pinky finger can pull in so much, so clear, and so error-free.
haha, isn't it interesting how the Unication (unlike ordinary scanners) does *not* need high gain Yagi directional antennas, nor do we hear crazy tales from Unication users (unlike owners of ordinary scanners) about needing other specialty antennas (my favorite one is https://forums.radioreference.com/ne...ml#post1825749).

And how many times now have we heard the story where an LSM signal is coming in at full strength, yet with very poor copy? And by full strength I mean all S-meter bars lit up (and I mean lit up legitimately, not lit up due to spurious noise/intermod caused by crap RF front end circuits)...

Max
Reply With Quote
  #34 (permalink)  
Old 02-09-2018, 12:19 PM
WX4JCW's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: All Over
Posts: 1,798
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA1RBI View Post
haha, isn't it interesting how the Unication (unlike ordinary scanners) does *not* need high gain Yagi directional antennas, nor do we hear crazy tales from Unication users (unlike owners of ordinary scanners) about needing other specialty antennas (my favorite one is https://forums.radioreference.com/ne...ml#post1825749).



And how many times now have we heard the story where an LSM signal is coming in at full strength, yet with very poor copy? And by full strength I mean all S-meter bars lit up (and I mean lit up legitimately, not lit up due to spurious noise/intermod caused by crap RF front end circuits)...



Max


And yet they never listen


Sent from my iPhone 8 using Tapatalk Pro
Jason WX4JCW
Unication G4, BCD536HP
__________________
Jason WX4JCW EMD/FF/EMT RET
Like Johnny Cash's Song I've been everywhere man, ive been everywhere and monitored it
SDS100,XPR7550,SDR
Reply With Quote
  #35 (permalink)  
Old 02-09-2018, 12:30 PM
KR7CQ's Avatar
Member
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 513
Default

The ridiculous looking (yet effective) antenna on the Unication supports a long-held suspicion of mine, developed over my years of playing with different duck antennas on handheld scanners. Which duck antenna you use makes little difference really. Duck antennas suck. I always used to say you might as well use a paper clip or hanger wire....so a big LOL at the post linked a few up. Even on the G4 my full size Moto whip antenna only makes a small difference, which can be important on the fringe as I pointed out with my video in the "better Unication antenna" thread, but truth be told, that tiny stub is just fine most of the time which gives me a chuckle. I refuse to spend nearly $30 for the "Radio Shack 800 MHz scanner antenna" when I know from experience that it MIGHT make one signal bar of difference in some circumstances on 700 MHz, while degrading VHF performance over the stock BCD436HP antenna which also happens to fit more snuggly with its SMA connector. The Unication and its silly looking stub antenna blows any scanner / antenna combination away on simulcast.
Reply With Quote
  #36 (permalink)  
Old 02-09-2018, 12:45 PM
jcardani's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Orlando, FL & Ocean City, NJ
Posts: 1,272
Default

Heck using my body as an antenna for OP25 blows away scanners on LSM.
__________________
Joe Cardani, W3FOY
Owner, PhillyScanner Yahoo Group and Greater Orlando Communications Group
Editor, Master Frequency Guide http://masterfrequencyguide.selz.com
Reply With Quote
  #37 (permalink)  
Old 02-09-2018, 3:31 PM
eorange's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 2,131
Default

Plus the Unication antenna is glow in the dark! Take it into a dark room and look at the writing on the end.

Maybe tritium is the magic performance ingredient.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk
__________________
√-1 2≥ π
Reply With Quote
  #38 (permalink)  
Old 02-09-2018, 6:49 PM
WX4JCW's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: All Over
Posts: 1,798
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eorange View Post
Plus the Unication antenna is glow in the dark! Take it into a dark room and look at the writing on the end.

Maybe tritium is the magic performance ingredient.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk


Now I gotta go look


Sent from my iPhone 8 using Tapatalk Pro
Jason WX4JCW
Unication G4, BCD536HP
__________________
Jason WX4JCW EMD/FF/EMT RET
Like Johnny Cash's Song I've been everywhere man, ive been everywhere and monitored it
SDS100,XPR7550,SDR
Reply With Quote
  #39 (permalink)  
Old 02-09-2018, 6:50 PM
WX4JCW's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: All Over
Posts: 1,798
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KR7CQ View Post
The ridiculous looking (yet effective) antenna on the Unication supports a long-held suspicion of mine, developed over my years of playing with different duck antennas on handheld scanners. Which duck antenna you use makes little difference really. Duck antennas suck. I always used to say you might as well use a paper clip or hanger wire....so a big LOL at the post linked a few up. Even on the G4 my full size Moto whip antenna only makes a small difference, which can be important on the fringe as I pointed out with my video in the "better Unication antenna" thread, but truth be told, that tiny stub is just fine most of the time which gives me a chuckle. I refuse to spend nearly $30 for the "Radio Shack 800 MHz scanner antenna" when I know from experience that it MIGHT make one signal bar of difference in some circumstances on 700 MHz, while degrading VHF performance over the stock BCD436HP antenna which also happens to fit more snuggly with its SMA connector. The Unication and its silly looking stub antenna blows any scanner / antenna combination away on simulcast.


Silly looking or not itís not huge and can fit in my pocket


Sent from my iPhone 8 using Tapatalk Pro
Jason WX4JCW
Unication G4, BCD536HP
__________________
Jason WX4JCW EMD/FF/EMT RET
Like Johnny Cash's Song I've been everywhere man, ive been everywhere and monitored it
SDS100,XPR7550,SDR
Reply With Quote
  #40 (permalink)  
Old 02-09-2018, 6:54 PM
KR7CQ's Avatar
Member
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 513
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WX4JCW View Post
Silly looking or not itís not huge and can fit in my pocket


Sent from my iPhone 8 using Tapatalk Pro
Jason WX4JCW
Unication G4, BCD536HP
Yup, it's a handy little creature.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 1:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All information here is Copyright 2012 by RadioReference.com LLC and Lindsay C. Blanton III.Ad Management by RedTyger
Copyright 2015 by RadioReference.com LLC Privacy Policy  |  Terms and Conditions