Objects being scanned

Status
Not open for further replies.

mejnetguru

I'm curious. How many objects to others often have programmed into their scanners? Dozens, hundreds, thousands?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The Uniden 436 and 536 have everything in the USA and Canada programmed...

mejnetguru

Clarification

I am referring to actively setup/used scanlists/similar. Not the RR database being available on-board.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
x36 scanners scan about 80 channels per second. So if it takes 10 seconds to cycle through your scanlist (fairly common when scanning the main database), that's 800 channels...

Doing more than that bogs down the scanner too much to be useful.

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
If I'm understanding this right, the OP is asking how many channels users typically scan at any one given time.

Other than my CB favorite list, the largest list I scan has probably 10 channels in it. Unless I'm in a really rural area, I only have one Favorite List active. In that case, I'll have the CB list active as well. "Worst" case scenario is that I'm scanning, at most, 50 channels.

mejnetguru

Not exactly. I also typically only scan a few objects at a time. I'm curious how many objects folks program into various scanlists/favorites/etc. overall so they can be made available for use without re-programming. Not necessarily that are being used at one time.

DJ11DLN

On the order of 250 for me, in the at-home scanner anyway. I get 19 sites in 8 counties on the Safe-T system, plus I have a couple of other TSYS's in the box and some CONV stuff, both analog and DMR. I hear a lot.:wink:

rwier

Meaningless number, like a rich, ugly women having 6000 pairs of shoes. At one time, I set up "travel" FLs with thousands of objects each, to be turned on and off by GPS. Now, I no longer feel safe travelling (health), so those "programmed" objects are never to be used again, lol. The more relevant question, in my opinion, is "How important is it that any individual Channel/TG transmission not be missed?" For some active "scenes", a single scanner may need to be dedicated to a single "object". As a general rule, assuming a fixed (home) location, I am even more restrictive than jonwienke. About 10 (sometimes up to 20) "objects" being scanned by a single scanner is my personal limit.

KB7MIB

At home, I typically monitor 5, maybe 6, scanlists (GRE PSR-500).

Two of the scanlists have less than 10 objects. One of the scanlists has dozens.

When I'm running around town with it, I typically only have 2-3 scanlists going, with a varied number of objects in each.

In total, I have 19 of the 20 main scanlists with objects in them, in my main "Virtual Scanner".

I have 7 or 8 VS programmed for different interests, however.

Three of them are for searching various trunked systems (the RWC/TOPAZ RWC, Maricopa County, and AZWINS) for active TG's. One is for searching a few other trunked systems, as well as various specific conventional channels. 2 others are for in-state road trips I have taken.

John
Peoria, AZ

Last edited:

rbm

The more frequencies/systems you try to scan, the more you'll be missing.

Typically, I scan no more than 100 conventional frequencies at once.
Some are moderately active, others not so much.
Any very busy frequencies would reduce that number.

The number of trunking systems depends on how busy they are.

The more agencies/systems you want to scan, the more scanners you need. ;)

Rich

budevans

Easily over a thousand for both scanners

I'm curious. How many objects to others often have programmed into their scanners? Dozens, hundreds, thousands?

I currently have two scanners that I actively use on a daily basis. A PSR-500 and a BCD436HP.
My PSR-500 has 11 Trunk Systems with a total of 1182 Talk Groups and also a group of 334 conventional analog frequencies. The for a total usage of 1622 with 230 (object) blocks free.

Regarding the BCD436HP, I can't give you a number. Unfortunately the Sentinel program doesn't give a count. But I can tell you that I have 24 Favorites Lists (system groupings). My best guess would be roughly three times the number of objects compared to the PSR-500.

So both of my scanners are well above a thousand.

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)

Not exactly. I also typically only scan a few objects at a time. I'm curious how many objects folks program into various scanlists/favorites/etc. overall so they can be made available for use without re-programming. Not necessarily that are being used at one time.

For the past several years and a grand total of 1651 objects:
  • 20 Trunked Systems
  • 1249 Talkgroups
  • 381 Conventional Frequencies
  • 1 Service Search

A vast majority of this is for roaming around, interoperability channels, and unknown TG/frequency discovery. A few systems and talkgroups are also duplicates for when I want to lock onto a specific talkgroup on a specific site.

Between two scanners on a typical day, I would be listening to 164 objects:
  • 1 Trunked System
  • 131 Talkgroups
  • 32 Conventional Frequencies

It may look like a lot, but 80% of it is normally not used in my area on a daily basis. They are distributed between 7 scan lists.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
I have at least 32 systems in my 436 and 21 in my 396.

Sent from my LG-K330 using Tapatalk

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Literally my 536 has the numbers shown below:

A good number of those Favorites Lists are programmed for travel destinations, so they are active occasionally.

When I'm casually listening to the scanner, there are 5 active Favorites Lists at home. If something of interest is going on, I'll narrow my scanning.

Type Quantity
Favorites 30
Conventional Systems 77
Trunk Systems 37
Conventional Groups 262
Trunk Groups 594
Sites 732
Conventional Frequencies 1931
TGIDs 12701
Trunk Frequencies 4083
UIDs 13065

Status