RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > General Scanning Discussion

General Scanning Discussion - For general questions not specific to a model of scanner or general discussion of use of a scanner. Manufacturer specific posts should be directed to the appropriate forums below and location specific posts should go in the appropriate regional forum..

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-18-2017, 10:35 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Cool

I am not so open that I tell EVERYONE about my hobby but I do carry a portable pretty much everywhere. Whenever I leave the house I take the radio that best suits my location. If I am going to a town with a 500MHZ fire band then I take my HT1250. If I want DMR with me I take my XPR6550. Usually if I am in town I have my XPR because the local police use it so I don't have 15 frequencies going off at once. I have had people ask about my radio's (there was this employee that every time I saw him at the store he would ask if my radio was a CB *eyeroll* despite me explaining that it wasn't and just a hobby) and I used to be a volunteer FF so I used that for a while and now I tell them I'm an amateur radio operator. It gets quite frustrating when someone tells you that you can't have a radio and telling them they are wrong doesn't help. It is also helpful when you are about to head out and hear that a traffic accident happened in the middle of your route so you get to plan ahead instead of being stuck in traffic. Friends also ask me "why did this ambulance drive past my house" or "the fire trucks are across the street what happened?" which is funny because I pretty much always know whats going on.
Now to shorten that lengthy "rant":
I am not completely open however I do carry a portable with me.
Sponsored links
Old 11-18-2017, 11:13 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by KD2LQG View Post
It gets quite frustrating when someone tells you that you can't have a radio and telling them they are wrong doesn't help.
They may not be wrong. A business can deny entry to anyone they wish as long as it doesn't violate Title VII (race, religion, sex, etc.) How 'bout the "No Shirt, No Shoes, No Service sign?" Except, I guess, for females, it not illegal to go shirtless or shoeless but the sign is enforceable. Regardless of "innocent until proven guilty," a business can deny you entry if they think you've been stealing from them.

It may not be good business practice to start a kerfuffle over someone carrying a scanner but they certainly could.
Old 11-18-2017, 11:16 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I post about it on the internet...
Old 11-19-2017, 8:18 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK4JUG View Post
They may not be wrong. A business can deny entry to anyone they wish as long as it doesn't violate Title VII (race, religion, sex, etc.) How 'bout the "No Shirt, No Shoes, No Service sign?" Except, I guess, for females, it not illegal to go shirtless or shoeless but the sign is enforceable. Regardless of "innocent until proven guilty," a business can deny you entry if they think you've been stealing from them.

It may not be good business practice to start a kerfuffle over someone carrying a scanner but they certainly could.
Actually, I haven't had problems with businesses. More people in general.
Old 11-19-2017, 8:31 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by KD2LQG View Post
Actually, I haven't had problems with businesses. More people in general.
That I believe. They have no real idea what the scanner/radio is and figure it must be wrong because they're unfamiliar with it.
Sponsored links
Old 11-19-2017, 4:36 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I don't know why one would hide that they are a radio hobbyist. I've loved radio (except CB excluding monitoring, and any air monitoring excluding LW beacons) since I was 9 and have had a scanner since I was 10-11 or so, and became a licensed ham at age 13.

I've asked people involved in EMS or fire what frequencies they used and for what, some willing to tell me and some not.

Once in college (or just after), while listening to my scanner, I had heard of an emergency at a grocery store I worked at. I asked my boss that I had heard about a problem on the scanner and asked what happened, he told me.

More recently someone I knew online was bored and asked me to suggest a hobby. As his politics is of the Cop Block/PINAC variety, I suggested he get involved with scanning, telling him the costs and suggesting he check out Broadcastify first, though he dismissed police scanners as a gimmick.

I've taken police scanners with me on trips and vacations, and sat outside in the sun and listened. When at home, I use my scanner inside. Nobody cares or is suspicious, though friends of mine have referred to a "creepy" neighbor who "listens to people's phone calls" (back in the day when this was possible).

But given you can explain to people that listening to cordless and cell phones is no longer possible with the technology they use today, why would anyone think scanning should be a secret to hide from friends and family?

FISTS #13110, SKCC #4493T, EPC #20322
Old 11-21-2017, 9:16 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by K3DRQ View Post
I don't know why one would hide that they are a radio hobbyist. I've loved radio (except CB excluding monitoring, and any air monitoring excluding LW beacons) since I was 9 and have had a scanner since I was 10-11 or so, and became a licensed ham at age 13.

I've asked people involved in EMS or fire what frequencies they used and for what, some willing to tell me and some not.

Once in college (or just after), while listening to my scanner, I had heard of an emergency at a grocery store I worked at. I asked my boss that I had heard about a problem on the scanner and asked what happened, he told me.

More recently someone I knew online was bored and asked me to suggest a hobby. As his politics is of the Cop Block/PINAC variety, I suggested he get involved with scanning, telling him the costs and suggesting he check out Broadcastify first, though he dismissed police scanners as a gimmick.

I've taken police scanners with me on trips and vacations, and sat outside in the sun and listened. When at home, I use my scanner inside. Nobody cares or is suspicious, though friends of mine have referred to a "creepy" neighbor who "listens to people's phone calls" (back in the day when this was possible).

But given you can explain to people that listening to cordless and cell phones is no longer possible with the technology they use today, why would anyone think scanning should be a secret to hide from friends and family?
i agree i see no reason to hide anything
Old 11-21-2017, 5:31 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by K3DRQ View Post
Oh but you still can, you are right though it's not Scannerists and radio hobbyists you have worry about but hobby hackers with SDR. Kali Linux even comes with the utilities for it preinstalled. DECT listening isn't too hard, than there's all the fun you can have with wireless alarm systems, garage and car openers when you get a transmit capable SDR though that's more tricky with rolling code systems. Scannerists are just innocent geeks now.

I do hear some 49MHz baby monitors and cordless phones around still. Occasionally some things on 900MHz.

Last edited by K2RNI; 11-21-2017 at 5:47 PM..
Old 11-21-2017, 7:02 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by K2RNI View Post
Oh but you still can, you are right though it's not Scannerists and radio hobbyists you have worry about but hobby hackers with SDR. Kali Linux even comes with the utilities for it preinstalled. DECT listening isn't too hard, than there's all the fun you can have with wireless alarm systems, garage and car openers when you get a transmit capable SDR though that's more tricky with rolling code systems. Scannerists are just innocent geeks now.

I do hear some 49MHz baby monitors and cordless phones around still. Occasionally some things on 900MHz.
If I find someone opening my garage door or car, I'm going to assume they're trying to break in and I will take definitive action. Let your imagination runaway with what that action might be.
Old 11-21-2017, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky43113 View Post
i agree i see no reason to hide anything
Unless you live in an area that is hostile to such activity. Iíve known of law enforcement forcefully taking equipment from people and lying about it even though itís perfectly legal for the owner to have it.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:03 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDS3 View Post
Unless you live in an area that is hostile to such activity. Iíve known of law enforcement forcefully taking equipment from people and lying about it even though itís perfectly legal for the owner to have it.
I've known that to happen except for the lying part. Unfortunately, some LEOs are as uninformed about scanners (and ham portables) as the Walmart greeter and the guy at the next table at Starbucks and you know what? That probably has changed much over the years.

I remember about 25 years ago, an officer confiscated a scanner from a motorist. (Back then, we had 4 VHF channels and crystal scanners were still being used. The officer assumed the citizen wasn't allowed to listen to police calls.) I got with the officer and straightened things out.

That's all ironic because back in the mid 70s, we had a serial killer known as "The Stocking Strangler." He used stockings to strangle most of his elderly female victims. People were so paranoid that everyone bought a scanner to keep tabs on what was going on. I suspect police department ratings were higher than the local TV stations.

We had Motorola MT-1000 (I think) and MoTrac radios. I kept the MoTrac on the dispatch channel, the portable on the DMV channel and the scanner took care of the other two channels.