Why am I getting these out of band signals

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragon48

My AOR 82090 MK3 (unfortunately, just a stock telescoping antenna) is tuned to 145.8000 Mhz WFM, as I am trying to get ISS SSTV. Nothing yet from the passes, but when I play back the mostly static audio, I pick up a lot of weak signals of what sounds to be FM radio. Sometimes, more than one signal comes in at a time.

Why am I getting this? Could this crap be causing me not to pick up what I want to?

Here is a clip of what I am talking about:

https://soundcloud.com/user-437184959/interference

Thanks

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I've never tried to pick up ISS but I suspect you need a more directional antenna. The stock antenna is going to give you the next county, if you're lucky. ISS is about 250 miles away. Admittedly, it should be a clear shot, though.

Also, I think they only transmit intermittently.

ab5r

Yes, KK4JUG is correct. The ISS does not transmit SSTV often. I is unlikely you'll hear anything on an inside antenna...........except the FM stations overloading you receiver!

w8lgz

You'll have much better success receiving the ISS if you use a circular polarized antenna, commonly known as an "egg beater" due to the fact that it mostly looks like one. These antennas aid in tracking a satellite or, in this case, the ISS through the sky without using a beam antenna and, to some degree, compensating for the Doppler effect.

Good luck,
Jim - W8LGZ

n4yek

..... is tuned to 145.8000 Mhz WFM
As for monitoring the ISS SSTV, I do just fine with a simple quarter wave ground plane.
But I noticed something you said, you were tuned to 145.800 WFM?
That might be a problem right there, amateur radio does not operate WFM.
If anything just set you radio to FM or NFM (narrow FM) which would probably eliminate your faint FM Station audio.

dragon48

As for monitoring the ISS SSTV, I do just fine with a simple quarter wave ground plane.
But I noticed something you said, you were tuned to 145.800 WFM?
That might be a problem right there, amateur radio does not operate WFM.
If anything just set you radio to FM or NFM (narrow FM) which would probably eliminate your faint FM Station audio.

Thanks - I had come to this same conclusion and was able to get one picture with the NFM setting.

Status
Not open for further replies.