RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog
 

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > General Scanning Discussion


General Scanning Discussion - For general questions not specific to a model of scanner or general discussion of use of a scanner. Manufacturer specific posts should be directed to the appropriate forums below and location specific posts should go in the appropriate regional forum..

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 12-07-2017, 8:13 AM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Indiana
Posts: 233
Default NXDN question

Do the baud rates 4800 and 9600 only apply to NXDN trunking / control as opposed to NXDN conventional?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 12-07-2017, 9:21 AM
Member
   
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: In the 'patch
Posts: 4,573
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vocoder View Post
Do the baud rates 4800 and 9600 only apply to NXDN trunking / control as opposed to NXDN conventional?
I can not speak to Icom NXDN gear as I do not use Icom LMR gear, but Kenwood NXDN subscribers will do both 12.5KHz and 6.25KHz channel widths conventionally.
__________________
Interoperatablity is not a technology, it is an attitude!!!
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 12-07-2017, 10:31 AM
Member
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Boston, Ma
Posts: 2,016
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vocoder View Post
Do the baud rates 4800 and 9600 only apply to NXDN trunking / control as opposed to NXDN conventional?
Hello,

They apply to both as they represent the data rate for both voice and data.

6.25K = 4800 = Very Narrow
12.5K = 9600 = Narrow

73 Eric
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 12-07-2017, 12:43 PM
902's Avatar
902 902 is offline
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Downsouthsomewhere
Posts: 2,290
Default

They are valid for conventional, as well. The 4.8 kbps will generally be more licenseable in areas where land mobile radio is heavily used. That's because they can be wedged in between other users where wider signals would interfere. You can tell these systems by the emission designator 4K00F1E (D or W) on their licenses.
__________________
If you'd like to contact me, I'd be happy to speak with you off-line, but please use the email feature.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 12-07-2017, 3:46 PM
mmckenna's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: WTVLCA01DS0
Posts: 7,749
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 902 View Post
They are valid for conventional, as well. The 4.8 kbps will generally be more licenseable in areas where land mobile radio is heavily used. That's because they can be wedged in between other users where wider signals would interfere. You can tell these systems by the emission designator 4K00F1E (D or W) on their licenses.
Right, no difference between conventional or trunked..
I'll also add that the actual throughput isn't 9600 or 4800, it's actually a little less if you are trying to run data.

In "transparent" data mode, 12.5KHz channel will get you a net data rate of about 3700 bps.
A 6.25 channel will get you about 1850bps.
That due to headers, footers, error correction, etc. etc.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 12-11-2017, 4:49 PM
902's Avatar
902 902 is offline
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Downsouthsomewhere
Posts: 2,290
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmckenna View Post
Right, no difference between conventional or trunked..
I'll also add that the actual throughput isn't 9600 or 4800, it's actually a little less if you are trying to run data.

In "transparent" data mode, 12.5KHz channel will get you a net data rate of about 3700 bps.
A 6.25 channel will get you about 1850bps.
That due to headers, footers, error correction, etc. etc.
Yep. It actually "looks like" P25, and, if the P25 people were to have adopted a non-infrastructure dependent 6.25 kHz equivalent, this could have been it (not considering protocol differences). The throughput is dependent upon all that overhead traffic.
__________________
If you'd like to contact me, I'd be happy to speak with you off-line, but please use the email feature.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 1:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All information here is Copyright 2012 by RadioReference.com LLC and Lindsay C. Blanton III.Ad Management by RedTyger
Copyright 2015 by RadioReference.com LLC Privacy Policy  |  Terms and Conditions