RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > General Scanning Discussion

General Scanning Discussion - For general questions not specific to a model of scanner or general discussion of use of a scanner. Manufacturer specific posts should be directed to the appropriate forums below and location specific posts should go in the appropriate regional forum..

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-16-2018, 7:46 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDS3 View Post
I just throw a small towel over my head units to keep direct sunlight off of them
That works for me, too. Never had a problem.
Old 04-17-2018, 5:24 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

When I lived in Hawaii, I would leave a TH-78 in my Jeep, keeping it out of direct sun. The only problem had, was a couple times it got too warm to transmit.

Being from Michigan, I have had cold weather lead to sluggish displays, and batteries not being able to source much current.

Sent using Tapatalk
Old 04-18-2018, 3:42 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

In South Carolina it can get extremely hot inside cars in the summer. I always put any electronics Iím leaving in the vehicle under a seat. Itís never failed me yet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ō=a bad day for scanner enthusiasts, and also a bad day for public safety...
Old 04-18-2018, 5:05 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I've never had any problems but I heard some of the newer lead free solder can be a problem in heat. One day it was so cold my car radio display read LVISUFO. True.
Old 04-18-2018, 5:38 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Despite what some people think, it does get cold here in Georgia. Temperatures in the teens are not unusual. We've had weather cold enough that the lawyers were walking around with their hands in their own pockets. When it gets that cold, I try to remember to take the scanners inside.
Old 04-20-2018, 11:29 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK4JUG View Post
Despite what some people think, it does get cold here in Georgia. Temperatures in the teens are not unusual. We've had weather cold enough that the lawyers were walking around with their hands in their own pockets. When it gets that cold, I try to remember to take the scanners inside.
Reminds me of a few weeks ago here in California. It was so cold that my 2011 model year car threw error codes because it had never been that cold before.
Old 04-21-2018, 3:50 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Extreme Heat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadant View Post
Hi all,

I was wondering if there is the potential for damage if you leave your handheld scanner in the car during extreme heat of North Carolina in the summer same question for cold but less often in North Carolina. Just wondering trying to not damage the scanner. They are expensive these days.

Jared
I can tell you what happened to my Pro-2042. I got the bright idea to leave it on the dash in the middle of summer while visiting Houston, Texas. Since you said, "extreme heat", I believe that actually eliminates NC.

In Houston, it took less than thirty minutes to melt my radio's case. It was back then that I also learned that RS has very poor support for scanner parts. I never ever leave any of my many electronic car gadgets in the Texas heat. It only takes once for me.

Also, I take my Passport Max II out of the window for the same reason. This radar detector cost more than my scanner. So, I am very careful.
Old 04-21-2018, 3:51 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Dash Mount?

Quote:
Originally Posted by call_sign_null View Post
Phoenix, Arizona checking in - the authority on extreme heat! In the summer it can get up to 140 degrees inside my truck when parked in the sun. I've never had an issue with any of my radios or other electronics failing as a result. It definitely wouldn't hurt to leave handhelds and cell phones and such out of direct sunlight (and view of potential thieves).

Did you have anything on the dash?