RFI filter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dispatrick

Premium Subscriber
I've located a source of interference in my home as a cable box. I was able to determine this simply by plugging and unplugging things till the noise stopped on my radio. Is their a device I can plug the cable box into then into the wall outlet that will reduce the interference from running though the house?

737mech

Premium Subscriber
Ferrite Choke

Try a snap on Ferrite choke first. Snap it on the power cord to the cable box. Monoprice.com ferrite cores about $1.83 each.

RFI-EMI-GUY

And ground that sucker as well as whatever it feeds.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

prcguy

What frequency range are you getting the interference on? Snap on ferrite cores can go a long way to fix the problem but you need to have the right mix and number of turns. At HF, snapping a bead or two on a cable will do nothing, you need many turns of the AC power cable and all Ethernet cables through the core to be effective.

Ubbe

Low-VHF seems to be the band where most devices interfere. I have sat receivers, routers, computers screens and television sets that all radiate interference in low-VHF.

If you have a portable scanner, try to find an interfered frequency, set the step to 5KHz and fine tune to the highest signal level and possible, open squelch, add attenuate and hold the antenna close to the cable box to see if it radiate the most from the mains cable, if that goes directly into the box, and the other cables attached to it like a coax or network cable. Perhaps it is the box itself if it is badly shielded and has a plastic case. Can you run the box on battery power?

There are clip on filters that you can use on most cables. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Auch-20Pcs...-Emi-Noise-Suppressor-Cable-Clip/282904607760

/Ubbe

Status
Not open for further replies.