RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > General Scanning Discussion

General Scanning Discussion - For general questions not specific to a model of scanner or general discussion of use of a scanner. Manufacturer specific posts should be directed to the appropriate forums below and location specific posts should go in the appropriate regional forum..

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2018, 11:00 AM

majoco - Scanners and Communications Receivers are NOT based on Location, ALL scanners and Receivers in the United States work Everywhere in the Americas, including Canada and Mexico.
Sponsored links
Old 10-10-2018, 11:02 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardsuit View Post
A ICOM $160 (scanner) can tune 25-1300 and its All Analog Mode as well. But, it is Laziness of the scanner makers.
When did Icom start making scanners?

I've been buying Icom for many years and never noticed they offered a scanner.
Old 10-10-2018, 11:08 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruser View Post

They don't they make communications receivers. I don't think hardsuit knows the difference.
Old 10-10-2018, 11:44 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
But, it is Laziness of the scanner makers.

lol - internet armchair CEOs...

var radioList = new List<Radio>();
Old 10-10-2018, 1:39 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
But, it is Laziness of the scanner makers.
You don't seem to understand what's involved. Just the R&D to develop such a scanner would be prohibitive. Add to that the production costs and the wagon to pull it around in, all this just to sell a "scanner" to a half a dozen people.
Old 10-10-2018, 1:55 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Obviously the OP's AOR receiver is missing some significant capability he wants otherwise he wouldn't care what scanner manufacturers provided in their products.
Old 10-10-2018, 2:17 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

hardsuit said:
Quote:
Scanners and Communications Receivers are NOT based on Location,
Then tell me why your Uniden BCT8 covers a lot separate bands, but my UBCT8 has continuous coverage up to 512MHz - doesn't miss out on the mil stuff or the cellphones - only the TV band where the IF is.

BCT8 - Frequency Coverage
25-54
108-174
400-512
806-956 (excluding cellular)

UBCT8 - Frequency Coverage

Frequency Range: 25-512MHz, 806-956MHz, 1240-1300MHz
Old 10-10-2018, 2:51 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruser View Post

They offer better. A receiver that can scan.
Old 10-10-2018, 7:45 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

My Icom R7000 covers 25MHz to 1999MHz and will scan any or all of it's 100 memories - but rather slowly compared to my Unidens - but the Unidens don't do SSB, CW, WFM.
Old 10-10-2018, 7:53 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I didn't buy any of my scanners to listen to SSB, CW, HF, etc. I spend most of my time listening to 800 mHz, Phase II, DMR
Old 10-10-2018, 11:52 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
... it is Laziness of the scanner makers.
It is not laziness, in business it is called ROI. When there are maybe 1000 people, in the world, that would be willing to pay for the radio you seek, they would lose money.

You want this thing so badly, you build it.

Sent using Tapatalk
Old 10-11-2018, 1:13 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by tumegpc View Post
They offer better. A receiver that can scan.
That they do!
Old 10-11-2018, 5:58 AM

I have been in this crazy thing called scanning for nearly 39 years now.
My first scanner was a BEARCAT 210. 10 channels and no aircraft band.
Several good scanners later, I now have a UNIDEN 436HP and I think this one is any number of times better then that grand old 210. I'm still tickled over this thing and what it can do.
Sure perhaps it doesn't have a few things that my previous scanners had but it has so much more in what it's intended for.
Old 10-11-2018, 6:15 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Scanners have not, and never will, approach the cell phone in popularity or market saturation. Choices are limited because of that. Laziness has nothing to do with a manufacturers decision to limit it's offerings to what they know will sell. The retail field is littered with products that fell flat on their face after launch. Companies probably put too much money into design, engineering, marketing and production to risk developing a failure.
Old 10-11-2018, 9:53 AM

majoco - Scanners are NOT based on Location.
In general Scanners can be used in Most States Legally. for Most of our Country it is Legal to Monitor the Entire RF spectrum from Long Wave, SW, HF , Medium Wave, VHF, UHF, and the Microwave or Millimeter Bands, even Satelite monitoring is Legal.
My point is Manufactures are covering their bases by selling you a AIR Receiver, A Weather Receiver, an AM-FM stereo radio, a Low End analog only scanner with UHF reception, a Better scanner with 800 MHz, or a High End scanner with Digital Trunking, Digital reception and SDR receiver.
No Scanner made in the USA/Canada is based on Location, All radios work in All Locations despite what you HAVE been told , or belief. its all about the Spectrum they can receive.
Location is Beside the point. AIR band receivers work in All 50 States, just Like AM-FM radios in your car work in all 50 States. so, your idea is false. Even if a Scanner is Illegal in DC , it can still work.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:03 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
majoco - Scanners are NOT based on Location.
In general Scanners can be used in Most States Legally. for Most of our Country it is Legal to Monitor the Entire RF spectrum from Long Wave, SW, HF , Medium Wave, VHF, UHF, and the Microwave or Millimeter Bands, even Satelite monitoring is Legal.
My point is Manufactures are covering their bases by selling you a AIR Receiver, A Weather Receiver, an AM-FM stereo radio, a Low End analog only scanner with UHF reception, a Better scanner with 800 MHz, or a High End scanner with Digital Trunking, Digital reception and SDR receiver.
No Scanner made in the USA/Canada is based on Location, All radios work in All Locations despite what you HAVE been told , or belief. its all about the Spectrum they can receive.
Location is Beside the point. AIR band receivers work in All 50 States, just Like AM-FM radios in your car work in all 50 States. so, your idea is false. Even if a Scanner is Illegal in DC , it can still work.
Again not even remotely correct. Especially for someone who does not live in the states or Canada.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:07 AM

bob550 - then explain how can a $180 Communications Receiver gets MORE Spectrum than a $699 Digital Scanner. take the ICOM R-6 its 100 khz to 1309 MHz and compare it to UNIDENS flagship scanner the SDS100. the Uniden has been using the same Outdated receiver tech of the 1990's. they only improved Database Management and addition of Digital modes. FACT is a CR used as a Scanner is superior to any "scanner" and CR have Many SCAN and SEARCH modes that scanners even lack, such as AMWS and Voice Scan. CR can also Receive TWO calls at the same time - DUAL VFO. and If scanners were trying to capture the HAM market, then they would offer Continious Coverage scanners and Demodulate ALL analog modes as well as ALL the HAM Digital Modes. but scanners today are Inferior, frankly there were better when they had continuous coverage and could receive Cellular.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:12 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
bob550 - then explain how can a $180 Communications Receiver gets MORE Spectrum than a $699 Digital Scanner. take the ICOM R-6 its 100 khz to 1309 MHz and compare it to UNIDENS flagship scanner the SDS100. the Uniden has been using the same Outdated receiver tech of the 1990's. they only improved Database Management and addition of Digital modes. FACT is a CR used as a Scanner is superior to any "scanner" and CR have Many SCAN and SEARCH modes that scanners even lack, such as AMWS and Voice Scan. CR can also Receive TWO calls at the same time - DUAL VFO. and If scanners were trying to capture the HAM market, then they would offer Continious Coverage scanners and Demodulate ALL analog modes as well as ALL the HAM Digital Modes. but scanners today are Inferior, frankly there were better when they had continuous coverage and could receive Cellular.
Why are you beating this horse to death? You can't compare a Communications Receiver to A scanner they are 2 different things. So again you can't compare a communications receiver to a digital scanner.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:13 AM

mule1075 - where do you live, under a rock ? FACT is you can go to CHINA and buy a OEM receiver for Cheap and it has Continoius unblocked coverage from 25 - 2500 MHz. and in Japan you should see their RADIO stores, they have multiple scanners Ready to Buy that work Internationally. now, if its Legal to use in your Country is another matter. FACT scanners are NOT Limited by Location.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:17 AM

mule1075 - FACT All of my Communications Receivers can SCAN and they do this FAST and better than Scanners can. but, American scanners do not need to be so Limited. Its like trying to SCAN with a Weather Receiver to pick up Military AIR, heck some scanners CANT even do that.
My point is Scanner can be better and at least be Closer to what a CR can do. for the same price !!!!!!