RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > General Scanning Discussion

General Scanning Discussion - For general questions not specific to a model of scanner or general discussion of use of a scanner. Manufacturer specific posts should be directed to the appropriate forums below and location specific posts should go in the appropriate regional forum..

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2018, 10:18 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardsuit View Post
mule1075 - where do you live, under a rock ? FACT is you can go to CHINA and buy a OEM receiver for Cheap and it has Continoius unblocked coverage from 25 - 2500 MHz. and in Japan you should see their RADIO stores, they have multiple scanners Ready to Buy that work Internationally. now, if its Legal to use in your Country is another matter. FACT scanners are NOT Limited by Location.
No I live in Pennsylvania and I have no need to go to China. Also unblocked receivers are not supposed to be sold here in the USA so I am really not interested but thank you for you're concern.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:19 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Also, why not just get a HF receiver? You can find them on Amazon for relatively cheap, and theyíre relatively small. Iíll repeat what Iíve seen some reasonable folks say: if you want it, build it. Otherwise, if someone gets too extreme about their opinion, they start to sound like ISIS...(no offense to anyone).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ō=a bad day for scanner enthusiasts, and also a bad day for public safety...
Old 10-11-2018, 10:22 AM

bob550 - mark my words, when someone figures how to create a REAL scanner out of a Android Mobile device or Smartphone , there wont EVER be the need of a stand alone scanner again. heck the RFinder DMR Radio uses a Android Smartphone or a Tablet, so why cant a Scanner or CR be built into a Smartphone or Tablet, less to carry.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:23 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
bob550 - mark my words, when someone figures how to create a REAL scanner out of a Android Mobile device or Smartphone , there wont EVER be the need of a stand alone scanner again. heck the RFinder DMR Radio uses a Android Smartphone or a Tablet, so why cant a Scanner or CR be built into a Smartphone or Tablet, less to carry.

Because the majority of people donít give a ratís hind quarters about a scanner. Thatís why stand-alone scanners are a much better idea.

Old 10-11-2018, 10:25 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
bob550 - then explain how can a $180 Communications Receiver gets MORE Spectrum than a $699 Digital Scanner. take the ICOM R-6 its 100 khz to 1309 MHz and compare it to UNIDENS flagship scanner the SDS100. the Uniden has been using the same Outdated receiver tech of the 1990's. they only improved Database Management and addition of Digital modes. FACT is a CR used as a Scanner is superior to any "scanner" and CR have Many SCAN and SEARCH modes that scanners even lack, such as AMWS and Voice Scan. CR can also Receive TWO calls at the same time - DUAL VFO. and If scanners were trying to capture the HAM market, then they would offer Continious Coverage scanners and Demodulate ALL analog modes as well as ALL the HAM Digital Modes. but scanners today are Inferior, frankly there were better when they had continuous coverage and could receive Cellular.
You really just don't get it. Uniden and Whistler are not trying to "capture the HAM market"

Let's try a different approach.....

I am a fire scene photographer. My desire is to listen to the local fire departments and know when there is an incident of interest to photograph. I am located in southeastern Massachusetts. With a very few VHF exceptions, the departments I listen to are on UHF or the digital RISCON system. WHY DO I NEED ALL OF THESE OTHER MODES AND EXTENDED FREQUENCY RANGE?

When you extrapolate the above situation to all fire scene photographers, then further to all news photographers who use scanners, the people that just want to listen to local public safety (these are the targeted market of scanner manufacturers by the way,) police and fire departments that purchase scanners to listen to adjacent jurisdictions and businesses that rely on public safety for their own interests (board up companies, tow companies, insurance adjusters, etc.) you realize that the radio you describe is not what the majority of the customers buying scanners want. The majority of these people are not HAM operators and quite honestly, couldn't give a **** less about what a HAM operator wants-as long as it meets their needs, they are happy-as long as the majority of the customers are happy and buying their product, the manufacturers are happy and content to provide it.

The HAM market does not support enough sales to make it that attractive to the scanner manufacturers when compared to the overall customer base to justify changes. Icom and AOR market to the ham market and the monitoring community. If someone wanted to market a scanner that captures the HAM market while appealing to a larger customer base, perhaps it should be them, not the scanner manufacturers.

Administrator: Firepics-THE Place for fire photographers
Sponsored links
Old 10-11-2018, 10:27 AM

mule1075 - Well Excuse Me...…..I thought you did not Live in the USA based on your comment.
In Pennsylvania it should NOT matter where you live, a Scanner or Receiver works the SAME in PA as the REST of the USA, its just a matter of Legality. but, who is to say you IMPORT from a scanner friendly state, and you can still Listen Legally in your own Home or Garage.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:32 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:

Original Android phones had FM receivers in them that used the earphone jack as an antenna. As the devices have evolved, there are but a few current production devices that have this capability. Care to guess why? It wasn't popular enough to support the cost of putting the receiver into the device! FM radio is exponentially more popular than scanners or any other form of communications monitoring. If the market didn't support an FM receiver, how much interest do you think there will be in a scanner inside the phone?

Old 10-11-2018, 10:32 AM

Citywide173 - but Is NOT scanning All About Spectrum security ? Watching the Watchers so to speak.
form what I have seen UNIDEN used to have a Continious Coverage scanner. but it would rather save a few pennies per unit ? by having a Cheaper receiver ?
Old 10-11-2018, 10:33 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

The law is the same throughout the US. Mobile scanning is something different. Why are you now harping on legality of scanners? Wasnít this whole thing about the HF bands? Hams, at least in my area, donít care about public safety bands, so they buy some cheap CCRís to scan the ham bands. There are some exceptions, like myself, who like scanning multiple bands. But as was said earlier, the hams donít represent a big enough market to appeal to manufacturers.

Old 10-11-2018, 10:37 AM

Citywide173 - DMR radio is popular with HAMS, so much so the Built in RFinder and a VHF or UHF radio into a Android Device and they even have a Tablet Computer with DMR radio as well.
I see the Future with in DASH scanners built into the Double DIN Receiver already in the Center Console, would hardly be any problem including a SDR based Digital scanner into the many GPS/Infotainment systems that use Android.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:37 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Also, what does the HF bands offer? If you pray hard enough, MAYBE the bands will be open enough for you to pick up a faint signal, and for what? To listen to old hams complaining about how they donít like taking medicine? How they hate these new technician class hams trying to take over ham radio as a whole? Milton is hard to find, SW radio is dead, ham radio can get incredibly boring, so why would a scanner manufacturer make a scanner like that? So the local news station that buys one can listen to the hams and report it on the news? NO! They buy scanners from the major manufacturers to listen to PUBLIC SAFETY.

Old 10-11-2018, 10:40 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Citywide173 - but Is NOT scanning All About Spectrum security ? Watching the Watchers so to speak.
form what I have seen UNIDEN used to have a Continious Coverage scanner. but it would rather save a few pennies per unit ? by having a Cheaper receiver ?

Because NO ONE WANTS HF. Maybe the few that pop up once in a blue moon, but I am willing to bet AT LEAST 90% of the folks who get scanners arenít crying their eyes out that they canít listen to the old hams on 80m, or any other HF band.

Old 10-11-2018, 10:46 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Then you should be more concerned with the encryption argument than the expanded frequency debate.

Obviously, you don't want to see that the majority of scanner users don't care about the HF bands, don't care about "watching the watchers," don't care about radio as a hobby and only want to listen to what they want to listen to, which is the product that the scanner manufacturers provide. Radio enthusiasts and scanner users are two different groups. While your statement above might ring true to an enthusiast, it does not hold true for the average scanner user. To them, scanning is about being nosy and having the ability to turn on the radio when they see flashing lights at their neighbor's house. There are many more scanner users than radio enthusiasts out there and their money speaks louder than yours.

Old 10-11-2018, 11:03 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Citywide173 - DMR radio is popular with HAMS, so much so the Built in RFinder and a VHF or UHF radio into a Android Device and they even have a Tablet Computer with DMR radio as well.
I see the Future with in DASH scanners built into the Double DIN Receiver already in the Center Console, would hardly be any problem including a SDR based Digital scanner into the many GPS/Infotainment systems that use Android.
The app is installed in somewhere between 50,000 and 100,000 android devices. There are an estimated 2.3 billion android devices in use worldwide.

100,000/2,300,000,000= less than 1/2 of one percent. Keep telling yourself how popular it is. This should put in perspective how many people just don't care enough about radio to make any of your ideas attractive to a manufacturer who has a successful business model. Successful by their standard, and that is the only one that matters to them.

Old 10-11-2018, 12:49 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
bob550 - then explain how can a $180 Communications Receiver gets MORE Spectrum than a $699 Digital Scanner. take the ICOM R-6 its 100 khz to 1309 MHz and compare it to UNIDENS flagship scanner the SDS100. the Uniden has been using the same Outdated receiver tech of the 1990's.
You seem to be using a receiver's frequency coverage and available modes as units of measurement. That only tells part of the story. What may not be obvious is the receiver's sensitivity, selectivity and dynamic range. I wouldn't even begin to compare the performance level on my Icom R5 to my R71A on the HF bands, even when both are connected to my long wire antenna. The R5 just isn't in the same league. I certainly wouldn't compare the scan speeds of the R5 to my Uniden 536. What it offers in portability and frequency coverage is tempered by a lack of performance. The one-size-fits-all does-everything approach is rarely successful.
Old 10-11-2018, 12:51 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Not to mention that communications receivers lack trunk tracking.

Old 10-11-2018, 12:56 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default if i remember

and i do.
Bob Grove, as in monitoring times magazine, tried doing this years ago and gave up because of costs.
Old 10-11-2018, 2:50 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I don't think you'll ever see a "GOVERNMENT USE ONLY" version of a scanner.

https://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-016271

https://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-015287