RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > General Scanning Discussion

General Scanning Discussion - For general questions not specific to a model of scanner or general discussion of use of a scanner. Manufacturer specific posts should be directed to the appropriate forums below and location specific posts should go in the appropriate regional forum..

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2018, 11:37 AM
Whistler Representative

On behalf of everyone at the Whistler Group we would like to express our condolences over Troy's passing. Our thoughts and prayers go out to Troy's family and everyone that Troy has helped over the years.
Sponsored links
Old 10-11-2018, 1:01 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Just saw this post and I am truly saddened and shocked. Troy did so much for the scanning community. May God grant him eternal rest and peace and comfort to his wife, children, and grandchildren. 56 is far too young these days.
Old 10-11-2018, 3:01 PM

It's always terrible to hear about people that pass away in their 50's. The family suggest you donate to the american heart association so I assume it was a heart attack that took Troys life at home and there where no one at home that could assist him. Remember that if you encounter a person with a heart that have stopped that you can do chest compressions until the medical care can take over. The compression and expansion of the heart will pump enough blood to the vital organs to not cause permanent damage and an electric shock or mechanical chest compressor can revive the person again. Don't stop trying.

Enjoy the pleasures of life but try to reduce the number of visit to fast food restaurants and consumption of fried food and think twice before calling a pizza delivery service. Try to exercise enough to compensate for the calories you consume each day so they don't clog up your blood vessels.
Old 10-11-2018, 3:10 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I just read this post and I am very saddened by it. He has helped me on several issues he will be missed. RIP
Old 10-11-2018, 5:50 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I am so sad and shocked to hear of Troy's passing. His posts were always intelligent and informative no matter the subject. The suddenness of his departure from this earth teaches us all to live every day without compromise, and hold no ill will toward anyone. You just never know when God will call you home.
Old 10-12-2018, 12:02 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Sorry to hear about a fellow board member passing

So tragic

Rest in Peace my brother

David
Old 10-12-2018, 2:12 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubbe View Post
It's always terrible to hear about people that pass away in their 50's. The family suggest you donate to the american heart association so I assume it was a heart attack that took Troys life at home and there where no one at home that could assist him. Remember that if you encounter a person with a heart that have stopped that you can do chest compressions until the medical care can take over. The compression and expansion of the heart will pump enough blood to the vital organs to not cause permanent damage and an electric shock or mechanical chest compressor can revive the person again. Don't stop trying.

Enjoy the pleasures of life but try to reduce the number of visit to fast food restaurants and consumption of fried food and think twice before calling a pizza delivery service. Try to exercise enough to compensate for the calories you consume each day so they don't clog up your blood vessels.
no joke i had a heart attack in may, also always keep asprin available, its what saved my life
Old 10-12-2018, 5:26 PM

Just caught up with these posts and saw this. As many others have said he helped me through many issues, always helpful and great to talk to.

RIP friend, you will be missed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-12-2018, 6:05 PM

This is incredibly sad news. Troy was a real gentleman, and one with many talents in this hobby. Having only exchanged emails just a few days ago, I'm deeply shocked. My condolences to all his family.
Old 10-13-2018, 8:26 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Absolutely shocked to hear of this. RIP Troy, you were always a true gentleman. Godspeed Sir.
Old 10-13-2018, 5:23 PM

Always very informative. Enjoyed reading his posts even if it had no impact on my situation. He and his avatar will be missed on these forums. RIP.

Jim
Old 10-13-2018, 8:53 PM

Default Thank you

This is troymail’s wife. I’d like to thank all of you for the kind words about my husband. I’ve shared the link with the kids, his parents, and others. You’ve brought many to tears.

Troy talked about all of you often, even his disagreements with some of you! He loved helping people with their radios. His mother said he got his first radio, a cb, at 8. He’d talk to his dad, a truck driver on it.

Troy did die of a sudden heart attack. There were no symptoms, he was in great health. He’d been an EMT for decades and knew the signs. I called the ambulance as soon as he told me and gave him low dose aspirin. They only got him to his beloved front porch before it turned into an arrest. They did try for over an hour. If there’s a heaven, he’s probably up there trying to figure out what frequency God is talking to the angels.
Old 10-13-2018, 10:19 PM

Very good guy. We met up one day to exchange files. Incredibly smart. We knew that each had computer science degrees. I told him that I had left a government law enforcement agency for the private sector. Troy said he had just retired but left it at that. When I later found out he was with the NSA, I wasnt shocked one bit as he was loaded with knowledge. Rest well Troy.
Old 10-14-2018, 10:04 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Smile

Mouse1961,

Welcome to Radio Reference albeit I wish it were under better circumstances. I am a retired minister and have you and your entire family in my prayers. Please accept my most sincere condolences for the loss of your husband. Troymail was truly exceptional here on Radio Reference. A man with high moral values and a wealth of knowledge. When you all were living in my area, I wish I had been able to meet you all. If there is any remote way that I can be of assistance to you, please do not hesitate to ask. Take care and may our God give you peace and be with you always.

In His Service, Rev. David E. Hamm

Retired E911 Police Communications Systems Manager
BC800XLT (1978) and BCD536HP (2015)
NOTE: Also a Motorola Police HT "Scanner" before retirement
Old 10-14-2018, 10:25 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by frazpo View Post
Sad to hear. He was one of the guys that was here everyday helping people out.
I always got a giggle out of his profile image. His image illustrated where we have all been with computers and scanners.
Troy's avatar was also my favorite of all of us here. Very descriptive. Shocked to hear of his passing. His wealth of knowledge of scanners, systems and such was indescribable. He (and his banging head on the desk avatar) will be sorely missed here. RIP Troy!
Old 10-14-2018, 1:32 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Mouse1961 - thanks so much for posting about Troy during what has to be a devastating time for you and yours. I think I speak for our community here when I say how much we appreciate that, and how much we appreciated Troy and his fine character. I am in my 60s and was quite confused with programming the new digital scanners and Troy took the time (for 2 solid weeks) and coached me thru it and thanks to him I not only got it done, but gained a whole new perspective and total understanding of my digital scanners. What patience and kindness that man had, and I publicly thanked him numerous times for going well above and beyond the call of duty for me, someone he didn't even know. That spoke volumes about the man's character. I will never forget him.

God bless you,

JD
kf4anc
Old 10-14-2018, 7:36 PM

Wow I talk to him the other day about the SDS100 . R..I. P Buddy .
Old 10-14-2018, 8:10 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I agree with the others here... Troy was a very valuable resource on this forum. He and I worked together a couple times, both with my questions and collaborating on others' questions. Great guy... RIP Troy... and my condolences Mouse1961.

Don't worry, relax, have a homebrew...
Old 10-14-2018, 8:32 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

God Bless Troy and his Family. We emailed back and forth on the G5 and other scanners, he was so helpful. Really feel sick.
Old 10-14-2018, 8:47 PM

While I never had a conversation with Troy, I did see his posts here on RR. He was well liked and I give my thoughts and prayers to his friends and family.

Tags
obituary, silent key