Question about the NEW Uniden Bearcat BCD996P2

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimBobTerp

Hi
I have a question about NEW Uniden Bearcat BCD996P2.. I'm looking to upgrade my police scanner to a Uniden Bearcat BCD996P2 maybe after Christmas or spring/summer time 2019. My question is this on this link Uniden Bearcat BCD996P2 Police Scanner | Scanner Master It shows I can pay $75.00 extra to add ProVoice Upgrade.Now my question my one Trunking System Police Dept for City Of Allentown,Pennsylvania has gone to ProVoice. So if I add that to my scanner do u think I will be able to monitor and hear active from them?? Thanks to who ever can help me with this question.

James

pro92b

Mutated Member
Premium Subscriber
The database lists mode as DE - digital encrypted, so no scanner can decode the transmissions. It also appears that a P25 system is going to replace the EDACS system from the entry in the database.

Hi
I have a question about NEW Uniden Bearcat BCD996P2.. I'm looking to upgrade my police scanner to a Uniden Bearcat BCD996P2 maybe after Christmas or spring/summer time 2019. My question is this on this link Uniden Bearcat BCD996P2 Police Scanner | Scanner Master It shows I can pay $75.00 extra to add ProVoice Upgrade.Now my question my one Trunking System Police Dept for City Of Allentown,Pennsylvania has gone to ProVoice. So if I add that to my scanner do u think I will be able to monitor and hear active from them?? Thanks to who ever can help me with this question.

James
https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=2279

After looking at the link above, it would seem as the Provice system may be being replaced by a P25 system.
I'm not familiar with your area so you may want to speak to some locals about your area. If Allentown is upgrading you may want to spend the $75 on the DMR upgrade. If anyone could help him, jump in.

Here is a different thread for you to look at.

Oops you posted in that one too!!!

https://forums.radioreference.com/p...lentown-pa-upgrading-harris-p25-phase-ll.html

Last edited:

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Hi

James
The $75 is for the dealer selling the scanner to purchase & install it for you. The cost to do it yourself is $60. You register the scanner on MyUniden, then purchase the key there. The key is emailed to you, and you simply enter it through the scanner's keypad. The DMR upgrade (if you wanted it) is also $60 direct from Uniden, but $75 or more if the seller does it for you before shipping.

The database lists mode as DE - digital encrypted, so no scanner can decode the transmissions. It also appears that a P25 system is going to replace the EDACS system from the entry in the database.
Yep, if the database is correct, then the only "ProVoice" talkgroups are encrypted, so the upgrade would not affect what you could monitor. Everything else is labeled as "A", analog, which the scanner can receive right out of the box. If the EDACS/ProVoice system is being replaced by a P25 system, as indicated, receiving that does not require any upgrade either.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
The BCD996P2 was "New" about 10 years ago....

GREAT scanner, though. I really wish it could be upgraded for properly decoding simulcast and NXDN, or a comparable scanner like it made....

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
The BCD996P2 was "New" about 10 years ago....

The 996P2 was released in March of 2015. You're thinking of its predecessor, the 996XT (July of 2009), which itself replaced the 996T (May of 2006)

RRR

Premium Subscriber
Ok, then a 4 year old scanner isn't "new" either, the technology continues to jump by leaps and bounds every year.

The initial post had quotations around "NEW" like it was a big deal...

N8IAA

Ok, then a 4 year old scanner isn't "new" either, the technology continues to jump by leaps and bounds every year.

The initial post had quotations around "NEW" like it was a big deal...

How about "NEW" for the OP??

Larry

saboken

Premium Subscriber
Allentown has gone through a lot of changes I lived there for over 30 years it wouldn’t surprise me if APD encrypts everything! The last time I was up there they had cameras everywhere! Ever since they started cracking down in the early 90s removal of the Canopies in the Hamilton mall, then the benches, the crime rose quickly for the Lehigh Valley! Even a Pizza shop I used to work for in the 80s cut there delivery area in half because drivers were getting robbed one was shot at! I love the Lehigh valley but it’s not what i moved there for anymore! They seem to be trying to clean it up but at a cost, good luck with the scanner! I know a Couple Fountain Hill Officers I can try to see what they know about Allentown’s System if anything?

RRR

Premium Subscriber
How about "NEW" for the OP??

Larry

"The NEW BCD996P2", not "my new"....

If it is in fact still "New" then I'd sure like some firmware updates to the ones I have.....

wb6sub

Premium Subscriber
if you buy the upgrade on Unidens site it is 50 for an upgrade and you just enter the code they give you in your scanner. You must be purchasing it thru another company that tags on 25 and it isn't recorded on my.uniden.com. Save money and keep the code for the future on a site and win win. I won't ever buy an upgrade on any scanner retailer unless it direct now.

Status
Not open for further replies.