I wanna buy a scanner, but I'm in China...

Status
Not open for further replies.

fuctea2k

There is few trunk fans in my country...

I even can't find any place to buy a scanner... could anybody give me some informations about a scanner? e.g. How much it usually cost (rudimental level) and is it must be connected with PC or laptop? and I wanna buy one for tracking my local 800Mhz Motorola trunk systems...

Does the scanner need to program the control channels and some other things to monitor a system?

I hope the scanner can joins any TGs and displays individual IDs.

Thanks!

jimsokol

Premium Subscriber
The scanner does not have to be connected to a PC or a laptop. Some scanners can be controlled and programmed when connected to a PC but it is not mandatory. some other scanners can just be programmed but not controlled by a PC. Again it's not required, it just makes it easier sometimes.

As far as cost, if you don't need digital capabilities, you can probably get one for between 200 and 300 US Dollars. If you need digital, the cost will be between 400 and 500 US Dollars.

Be sure to insure the scanner has trunking capabilities, otherwise it won't follow the individual conversations correctly. You also want to be sure you are aware of what laws may be in place (if any) in your country regarding this.

fuctea2k

Thanks for your help!

I'm so sorry for my poor English!

I don't know you say "Digital" whether include Tetra digital trunk system? if not, I think I would buy a $200-300 one which could work with Motorola Smartnet II and hand held.

I'm very agonizing because I don't know how to pay for it and how to deliver to me and will it deliver to me...

fuctea2k

Luckly, There is nothings would break the law to use scanner in my Country....... :eek:

W2SJW

Database Admin
Ah, he said the magic bad word: TETRA. There's no current scanner out that covers TETRA, and I do remember reading somewhere else here on the boards that TETRA is a full-time encryption-style system. If you have analog Moto system there, you'll still have stuff to listen to...

mancow

Database Admin
Man, that's what I was curious about!

Are you sure the commies will like you listening to them ! ???

I don't think you're going to find a scanner that will monitor Tetra systems yet anyway.

mancow

fuctea2k

@mancow

commies? who care...

China is different from north Korea at all...

commies in China is only a name, who care only the little name...

mancow

Database Admin
Well that's good!

We don't want to see you end up getting hauled away for a simple hobby.

Back to the question, I really think you are going to be out of luck if it's Tetra you need to monitor with a scanner. I don't think they make any at this time.

Good luck.

mancow

SAR923

You'd better take a look at Articles 283 and 284 of the Criminal Law of The People's Republic of China:

Article 283. Whoever illegally produces and sells monitoring, photographing or other special espionage equipment is to be sentenced to not more than three years of fixed-term imprisonment, criminal detention, or control.

Article 284. Whoever illegally uses special monitoring or photographing equipment and causes grave consequences is to be sentenced to not more than two years of fixed-term imprisonment, criminal detention, or control.

Sure hate to see you have to spend any time in the jails of the Worker's Paradise. I don't think the ACLU has opened an office in Bejing yet. :)

jimsokol

Premium Subscriber
fuctea2k said:
Thanks for your help!

I'm so sorry for my poor English!

I don't know you say "Digital" whether include Tetra digital trunk system? if not, I think I would buy a $200-300 one which could work with Motorola Smartnet II and hand held.

I'm very agonizing because I don't know how to pay for it and how to deliver to me and will it deliver to me...

No I didn't mean that digital included Tetra. In the USA there are Motorola systems that are APCO25 digital, and for those you can buy a scanner to hear.

Sorry, but I don't know who you can buy from that will ship to China.

By the way, your english is much better than my Chinese would be.

...jim

LarryN

South Texas DB Admin
Premium Subscriber
Any chance that it would be illegal for us to ship it to him? I thought it was a big no no to ship high tech stuff to China?

thumbtrap

Even if you don't run afoul of the export restrictions you'd likely run into more mundane legal problems importing into china, or exporting to china. US trade with china is not like it is with Canada, the UK, or Mexico. Add to that we now have indications of legal problems with what would likely be viewed as espionage equipment even if there weren't a law about it. Stay clear. Way the heck far clear. China's internet connections are filtered and blocked too - not exactly a good indication of scanner friendly territory. And yes, there are restrictions on exporting certain technological items to china, unless they paid good money to sleep in your spare bedroom. Missile technology OK. Night vision/ computer gear, etc.. NO!.

LarryN

South Texas DB Admin
Premium Subscriber
I am sorry that I mis-spoke. I should have realized that high tech and "Radio Shack" do not belong in the same sentance. IMHO I would be view this guy the same way I would view someone offering to sell me a full coverage exported scanner. I wouldn't sell any of my equipment outside of the US, just to cover my 6. Sorry Fuc2tea2k. :idea:

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
SAR2401 said:
You'd better take a look at Articles 283 and 284 of the Criminal Law of The People's Republic of China:

Article 283. Whoever illegally produces and sells monitoring, photographing or other special espionage equipment is to be sentenced to not more than three years of fixed-term imprisonment, criminal detention, or control.

Article 284. Whoever illegally uses special monitoring or photographing equipment and causes grave consequences is to be sentenced to not more than two years of fixed-term imprisonment, criminal detention, or control.

I disagree. They state whoever ILLEGALLY produces/uses. I'm sure there's a LEGAL way to produce and use these items. You probably need to acquire a special permit to buy and use a scanner there.

-AZ

Thunderbolt

Global Database Administrator
Singapore is just as bad, if you are not authorized to have a scanner or any receiver that can monitor frequenices over 30 MHz., you can be sent to Changi Prison to serve two years hard labor. Scanning is NOT a popular hobby in that country. :(

racin06

SAR2401 said:
I don't think the ACLU has opened an office in Bejing yet. :)

I thought the ACLU was headquartered in Bejing. I may be mistaken. Perhaps, the ACLU is headquartered in Pyongyang or Havana. :wink:

mrjon

Thunderbolt said:
Singapore is just as bad, if you are not authorized to have a scanner or any receiver that can monitor frequenices over 30 MHz., you can be sent to Changi Prison to serve two years hard labor. Scanning is NOT a popular hobby in that country. :(

Now I definitely have a reason to be proud to be an American... where at least I know I'm (relatively very) free...

So much for the ACLU, indeed. My post-college de-indoctrination continues...

fuctea2k

Come down guys.....

I really NEVER care of politics..... could you do the same?

I just want a scanner, I'm just one of trunk fans, and I'm SURE I won't be sent to anywhere, I know there's too much forbidden by Gov., but who Really knows China more than me in China birth,live,work,even drink,have foods,even even sleep in China? I have the way, the way makes me love and have fun with Trunk system... and There is no one wants to send me to what prison

Thank godness I just want to buy a scanner, I'm the same as everyone who likes Trunking.

(I'm sorry for my poor English again, hope you could understand me...)

mrjon

But the question is:

Do you even know whether or not a scanner will be able to receive the kind of trunking that China uses? I've heard that China is using a TETRA system, which is absolutely unmonitorable by any scanner.

While I'm thinking about it, for those who said something about export restrictions on exporting TO China, take a look at the back of your Pro-95 or Pro-96 (or many other scanners). Look at where it's made. Ironic, isn't it? It's ridiculous that you cannot export something back to the country in which it was originally made.

It seems like you might have better luck trying to acquire scanner over there... Maybe find the company that makes them for GRE and try to "buy" one before it gets exported...

(I know, I know, it's a big country and that is an unrealistic plan.) But it also seems unrealistic to want a scanner to listen to something that the scanner can't even receive.

thumbtrap

mrjon said:
It seems like you might have better luck trying to acquire scanner over there... Maybe find the company that makes them for GRE and try to "buy" one before it gets exported...

And therein lies the heart of why it seems so strange. I may ask someone from China or Canada or Luxembourg "why does my Pro 95 continue to play audio of the control channel, even though it's telling me it's a Motorola Control Channel, rather than scan the trunked system for talk groups?" I would probably not ask them "Where can I buy gasoline for less than 1.87 a gallon?" or "where's a good place to eat?" I would also bet large sums of money that he can buy one, black, grey, or polkadotted market, far cheaper on his street corner, than he can get one which has been shipped here, marked up, duty levied, marked up again, and shipped back.

Status
Not open for further replies.