RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > General Scanning Discussion

General Scanning Discussion For general questions not specific to a model of scanner or general discussion of use of a scanner. Location specific posts should be directed to the regional forums listed below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2004, 5:45 PM

Default Best mobile scanner antenna

Any advice on the best all band mobile scanner antenna out there. I realize there is no perfect one, but which comes close? I'm looking for one with a magnet mount. I've tried several over the years but haven't found one that gets decent reception while mobile, on all bands. Has anybody tried the multiband antenna from Scannerworld.com (ANT135BNC, tri vertical omnidirectional)? Thanks!
Sponsored links
Old 05-26-2004, 3:04 PM

Default Mobil Antenna's

You might try Grove.ent...I use a mobil scanner ant from them...looks something like a T.V. rabbit ear type of antenna with another element..
I have been using it for about a year and have great luck with it...I receive all high and low and 800 very well...I just can' t seem to remember the product number...Just go to Grove.ent on the internet and go to mobil antenna section and you will see it...A little pricy but you know, get what you pay for...Hope this helps
James[/b]
Old 05-26-2004, 3:12 PM
Careful, I CAN hear you!
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Also try: http://www.bncantenna.com
Support your local Scanologists!
Old 05-26-2004, 6:45 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I use the the tri-band scanner antenna made by Larsen. It uses an NMO mount so you can use it with a magnetic base or on a permanent mount. Go to www.hamradio.com and look on their website for it. If I remember correctly it cost less than $25.
Old 05-26-2004, 9:10 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I really like the Austin Spectra Mobile sold at ScannerMaster.com
Old 05-27-2004, 1:57 AM

I like the Antenex scanner antennas. They cover VHF/UHF/800 nicely. They are 16.5" in length and come in chrome or black. I use them myself and have many satisfied customers with them. You can get one from http://shop.waltel.com/cgi-bin/store...anner_Antennas

You can get a mag mount from http://shop.waltel.com/cgi-bin/store...Antenna_Mounts

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 05-27-2004, 2:11 PM

Thanks to everyone for the advice! I'm sure it will be hit and miss. The majority of my listening is in the 800mhz and VHF high band with some 400mhz UHF high band so I really need some sort of wide/multi band antenna. I'm currently using an old cellular telephone magnet mount antenna which doesn't do too bad (especially when stationary). When I'm outside of town, away from obstructions, power lines, Nextel towers, etc., reception is very good on all bands but when I'm in town, reception is choppy/broken, even on 800 mhz.
Old 05-27-2004, 2:15 PM

Thanks to everyone for the advice! I'm sure it will be hit and miss. The majority of my listening is in the 800mhz and VHF high band with some 400mhz UHF high band so I really need some sort of wide/multi band antenna. I'm currently using an old cellular telephone magnet mount antenna which doesn't do too bad (especially when stationary). When I'm outside of town, away from obstructions, power lines, Nextel towers, etc., reception is very good on all bands but when I'm in town, reception is choppy/broken, even on 800 mhz.