new scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerry12

if you were going to get a new scanner what would you get a radioshack PrO- or UNIDEN ?

MarkWestin

In the last 2 years or so, I have bought the following:
Uniden BC246T, Uniden BCD396T, and Uniden BR330T.

If the BR330T had been available when I bought the BC246T, I would have bought it instead. It is much better all around than the BC246T. I'm thinking of selling my BC246T and buying a Uniden BCT15.

I also own and use four older Radio Shack (GRE) scanners, and several other receivers.

I had a PRO-95 that I bought new, but I sold it a few months later because I just didn't like it. That sort of soured me to Radio Shack products.

Mark

N4JNW

The newer RadioShack 528 and 433 are made by Uniden actually....

Pro-97, 2055, Pro-96 and the 2096 are GRE scanners. I swear by my 2055, but I also own the 433 and 528, and must say they have grown on me...

jerry12

MarkWestin said:
In the last 2 years or so, I have bought the following:
Uniden BC246T, Uniden BCD396T, and Uniden BR330T.

If the BR330T had been available when I bought the BC246T, I would have bought it instead. It is much better all around than the BC246T. I'm thinking of selling my BC246T and buying a Uniden BCT15.

I also own and use four older Radio Shack (GRE) scanners, and several other receivers.

I had a PRO-95 that I bought new, but I sold it a few months later because I just didn't like it. That sort of soured me to Radio Shack products.

Mark
radio shack is the only place that i know of that you can walk in and then walk out with a new scanner. in my area no one sell's scanner but radio shack. i see a log of radio shack scanners on this forum and others. i know that uniden is good i have one that is twenty two years old never gave any trouble - bear cat 210 xl-. i was just wondering who had the best scanner now days ?

Last edited:

AZMONITOR

Premium Subscriber
The Bearcat 330 is a fantastic radio, so good that I purchased three of them. The 396 I use for any trips to digital country and a 246 for general around town use. Three of the BCT 15s' are also in my collection as well as an old 780 and 785 plus an old RS PRO60 and two very old crystal scanners from back in the 70s'.

I lean toward the GRE scanners (Pro-96 and Pro-2096). The GRE team was very well connected with the user community during the early days of release and very talented software designer created an intuitive PC programming interface that was a perfect fit with the devices. My first exposure to Uniden digital handheld scanners was difficult. In all fairness, I haven't gone back. Hopefully they've changed.

If you do go with a Uniden, I'd love to read what your first impressions are.

hotdjdave

K9DJW - Senior Member
Database Admin
Uniden!

• Uniden (BC - BearCat) definitely has better features (bells and whistles) and functionality. They come with everything you need (accessories). Uniden personnel solicits feedback from us (the customers) and makes updates and adjustments accordingly (even right here in these forums - his handle is Upman, his name is Paul).
  • RS/GRE (PRO) seems to have "slightly" better performance.

Go
bearcat2.jpg

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
jerry12 said:
if you were going to get a new scanner what would you get a radioshack PrO- or UNIDEN ?
Today, a Uniden (or at least a Uniden built scanner) is the simple answer.

The reasoning is more involved, but I own several of both major manufacturers (GRE & Uniden). The most recent GRE scanner of any note is the Pro-97 and I would not own one for several reasons, not the least of which, it will not survive 800 MHz rebanding for Motorola systems. The digital models (Pro-96/2096) are showing their age and have limitations. All of the newer major Uniden models have capabilities that exceed the GRE models and IMHO are easier to use and program (especially the dynamic memory units). I will look at GRE models when they introduce a new one, but at the present, they sadly lack what I need in a "today" scanner. My next scanner purchase is likely to be a BCT15, unless I fall into a bucket of money and then it would be a BCD996T, but in reality I don't need another digital scanner (I have four already).

loumaag said:
The digital models (Pro-96/2096) are showing their age and have limitations. All of the newer major Uniden models have capabilities that exceed the GRE models and IMHO are easier to use and program (especially the dynamic memory units). I will look at GRE models when they introduce a new one, but at the present, they sadly lack what I need in a "today" scanner.
You're right about limitations with the Pro-96 series receivers. They won't do 700 MHz trunking or hybrid 700 and 800 MHz systems. 700 can only be received as a conventional channel, and only if the scanner has been "expanded" in software. I'm not sure what Radio Shack will do with marketing GRE equipment, or what will happen to GRE's distribution channels if Radio Shack tanks.

After playing with EchoLink and streaming scanners, I'm very interested in a Bearcat-996T with Scanner Master's remote control via IP software. Uniden will accomodate the advanced stuff. I'd like to place a receiver in my NJ hometown and listen in to what's happening "back home" (it's a more exciting environment to listen to) ...but that's all secondary to keeping everyone fed.

Status
Not open for further replies.