Never felt like more of a noob!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cleared30R

Hello!

I am Matt and I am new to the scanner world and well...SSIA!

I use my scanner really only for monitoring air traffic in the Twin Cites but I really want to learn more about how to use it for other things...

I have a Radio Shack Pro-94 and I know that I am limited as to what I can scan being that local fire/police are on a system that my scanner can not pick up but I am trying to figure out what I can receive with this thing and also trying to see if I should look into an upgrade in scanner.

In just monitoring while driving around, I mostly pick up junk that is either dead air, or just garbled nonsense...occasionally when I am in Minneapolis, I can pick-up what I think are cab and/or limo companies...but they are pretty boring.

Anyway...just wanted to say hello and see if anyone had any suggestions....I am working on trying to learn how to program sets of frequencies so that I stop picking up all this garbage all the time.

Thanks!

Matt

mciupa

Hi Matt , welcome to RadioReference. :)
Well , with what you have , you may want to give the City of Bloomington's EDACS system a try.
The Pro 96 would be excellent for receiving ARMERS and you would have so much to listen to state wide.

Otherwise, visit the database for the Minneapolis/St.Paul "quick link' and pour over the database entries, there is bound to be something worthwhile listed. :)

Raven95150

Premium Subscriber
Hello, I am also from the Twin Cities. (Anoka County) Depending on where you are, you can still get Anoka Co fire dispatch on 154.2800 and Hennepin Co fire dispatch on 154.3850 since they still use these for paging. Other than that, Anoka and Hennepin counties are all digital on the ARMER system, (except for Eden Prairie which has their own system that cannot be scanned) along with the metro State Patrol and most EMS. I do believe the east metro State Patrol dispatch still simulcasts on VHF, but I am not sure of the frequency. Ramsey Co is in the process of switching but last I knew could still be heard on thier old frequencies. Washington Co is still VHF, so you should be able to listen to them if you are close enough. For more MN specific info try these sites as well:

www.geocities.com/mn_metroscan and www.scanfan.com

Last edited:

wogggieee

Premium Subscriber
A lot of the east metro is still analog. Western Ramsey county has pretty much completely gone digital. Sheriff isn't simulcasting on VHF any more. However Maplewood, White Bear Lake, and St Paul are still conventional. All of Washington, Dakota, and Scott counties are still conventional as well. Not sure where you are in the cities, but from white bear lake i can get western WI stuff too, which is all conventional. So you have a fair amount of stuff to listen to if you have any interest in those area. However, if you are serious about scanning in the cities, i would highly advise getting a digital scanner. Washington, Dakota, and Scott County are likely going to switch within the next few years. I think the Pro-96 is down around 400 now.

Cleared30R

Thanks everyone! I am actually in Coon Rapids in Anoka County so it sounds like I am still somewhat in business for now...I am sure I will eventually upgrade to a pro-96, just not sure when....

Thanks for the links too Raven95150!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.