WWV Freq and Time standard Question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shortwavewave

I cant find a chart online but theres one in a book i have called " NOW YOUR TALKING 5th edition"

It has a legend for certian things like ham freqs and Brodcast bands, well theres one that for WWV time freqs and i know theres one on 2.5, 5, 10, 15, 20 ,25mhz, well theres also one in between 300 and 420 mhz but its doesnt say that acual freq, any one know what it is or if it even still exsists?

I would of posted this in the HF forum but i want everyone to be able to see this and it also has to do with 300- 420mhz

Any help, thank you

Last edited:

ReceiverBeaver

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
My good man.....That would be " Generically Made Crap " ol' boy jolly good.

Oh....and would happen to have any Grey Poupon?

Shortwavewave

ReceiverBeaver said:
My good man.....That would be " Generically Made Crap " ol' boy jolly good.

Oh....and would happen to have any Grey Poupon?
Does anything you said have anything to do with what i asked?

pappy1

Shortwavewave said:
I cant find a chart online but theres one in a book i have called " NOW YOUR TALKING 5th edition"

It has a legend for certian things like ham freqs and Brodcast bands, well theres one that for WWV time freqs and i know theres one on 2.5, 5, 10, 15, 20 ,25mhz, well theres also one in between 300 and 420 mhz but its doesnt say that acual freq, any one know what it is or if it even still exsists?

I would of posted this in the HF forum but i want everyone to be able to see this and it also has to do with 300- 420mhz

Any help, thank you

Hope this helps you no UHF Frequencies.

Broadcast Frequencies
WWV operates in the high frequency (HF) portion of the radio spectrum. The station radiates 10,000 W on 5, 10, and 15 MHz; and 2500 W on 2.5 and 20 MHz. Each frequency is broadcast from a separate transmitter. Although each frequency carries the same information, multiple frequencies are used because the quality of HF reception depends on many factors such as location, time of year, time of day, the frequency being used, and atmospheric and ionospheric propagation conditions. The variety of frequencies makes it likely that at least one frequency will be usable at all times.

pappy1

Shortwavewave said:
So do you think the chart made a mistake or could it be something hardly no one knows about?

I know nothing of the chart you are refering to, but these are the only frequencies wwv operates.

n1das

Shortwavewave said:

Any help, thank you

I've never heard of any in the 300-420 mHz (0.3-0.42Hz) range either. :D

I recall the broadcasts on 2.5MHz, 20MHz, and 25MHz were discontinued many years ago. WWV is should still be on 5MHz, 10MHz and 15MHz.

CHU in Canada is on 3330kHz and 7335kHz, IIRC.

I'm not into HF and it's been several years since I last listened to anything on HF, so even the info I have may be out of date by now.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
There was a GOES satellite time signal in the 468 MHz range, as well as on the old Transit satellite system that operated on 150 MHz and 400 MHz. There were receivers available for both systems to recover time signals sent by the spacecraft. While these provided very, very precise time signals, they weren't used as frequency standards.

I've seen 400 MHz listed as a standard TIME frequency, based on satellites. If you want to compile your own list, add the GPS birds, too. The time signals sent via GPS is accurate to better than 1 part in 10-12. GOES time is in the same order of accuracy. There was also once a proposed WWVS satellite time service that was proposed but never implimented. That was to be in the 400 MHz frequency range.

I think GOES time service is shut down now. Transit is long gone.

Last edited:

hotdjdave

K9DJW - Senior Member
Database Admin
There is the 1.25 meters band: 222 MHz through 225 MHz. Maybe that is what you were thinking.

Another might be the 75/80 meters band: 3.525 MHz through 4.0 MHz (or 3525 kHz - 4000 kHz).

Last edited:

hotdjdave

K9DJW - Senior Member
Database Admin
Frequency Bandplan Charts

You can download an amateur radio frequency bandchart from the ARRL here: http://www.arrl.org/FandES/field/regulations/bands.html

Here is a very good chart (Adobe Acrobat pdf) that has pretty much the enitre radio frequency spectrum from the US Department of Commerce - National Telecommunications and Information Administration: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/9d/Allochrt.pdf

Here are some other web site links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_frequency
http://www.dxzone.com/cgi-bin/dir/jump2.cgi?ID=2682 (basic FCC bandplan - text only)
http://members.aol.com/kf4qoe2/vhf_uhf.html

To view Adobe Acrobat pdf documents, you will need to go here and download Adobe Acrobat Reader (it's free): http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html

Last edited:

hotdjdave

K9DJW - Senior Member
Database Admin
Shortwavewave said:
Here it is its i found it look in between 300mhz and 3ghz and you will see the grey area that tell you what it is its on 400.1mhz as well as the other WWV time freqs
Here is a definition of what it is:
Standard Frequency and Time Signal-Satellite Service: A radiocommunications service using space stations on Earth satellites for the same purpose as those of the standard frequency and time signal. This service may also include feeder links necessary for its operation.

Shortwavewave said:
I juast dont know if it is on AM, or FM, or maybe even WFM
Of this I am not sure.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
More info:

The signals are apparently still there, but NIST is no longer involved. The satellites are operated by NOAA. NOAA is broadcasting time data, but it's no longer of the same accuracy as when NIST had it.

Status
Not open for further replies.