to Trunk or not to Trunk

Status
Not open for further replies.
I live in Olathe, ks. I have a older bearcat BC60xlt. I have dug it out the other day to use it only to find out I no longer can hear all the stuff I use to hear. The frequencies that use to work now pick up nothing. I think they may have been switched to a Trunk setup. My question is this if I purchase the BC95 it has the addition of the aviation and 800 frequencies. But if I purchase the BC246 I'll have it all. But do I need it all? thanks fran

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Check out the Johnson County page here:

http://www.radioreference.com/modules.php?name=RR&ctid=929#scid-24498

If there are things on the Johnson County system you want to hear, then you'll need the trunking scanner like the BC246T. If there are things on the Kansas Statewide System (KSICS) you want to hear, you'll need a digital scanner like the BCD396T.

It is all going to come down to what you want to hear...the more scanner you get, the more you will have the option to listen to.

thanks

I appreciate the reply, just canceled the order on the BC92, looks like if I bought that one it be the same as the one I have now. Now to decide whether to buy the BC 246 or the Radio Shack pro model? thanks again

DickH

listentolisten said:
I appreciate the reply, just canceled the order on the BC92, looks like if I bought that one it be the same as the one I have now. Now to decide whether to buy the BC 246 or the Radio Shack pro model? thanks again

If you don't need digital, you should look at the PRO-433 & PRO-528, made by Uniden, Japan for Radio Shack. Very good basic trunking scanners. The 433 has the 225-400MHz Mil Air band, too. Also a DIN mounting bracket for your car. Both are $169.95.

mjthomas59

If you are looking for digital and can afford to throw down $400+ for a used($500+ for a new) uniden digital that is what i would recommend. However, if you are in the same boat that i believe most of us are, you might consider picking up a used pro-2096 or pro-96 for around 300-350 on ebay. I've picked up one of each and had a shot at 1 more pro-96 for 300 a piece, just couldn't pull the trigger(and had no use for another handheld digital).

If you are gonna spend the money, you might as well save for a digital. Too much stuff is moving that direction to not have it anymore IMHO. There will always be that one system(for me it is the county sheriff) that moved to digital while nothing else even close to me is even considering a switch as of now. I bought the 246t and love it, but could have saved that $175 and put it down on a better digital. Now i have a bunch of stuff, but i certainly didn't take the cheapest route to get there.

Just start with digital and thank yourself later!

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
listentolisten said:
The Decimal for the trunking frequency, I am right that when I put the decimal in the other frequencies follow for that group? The site I am referring to is :

http://www.radioreference.com/modules.php?name=RR&sid=368

thanks,

is it that easy?
Let me answer for Paul. When you say "Decimal" and "frequency" we assume you are referring to the decimal in the frequency; like 857.96250 (from your link.) Then the answer is, of course you enter the decimal; otherwise you are programming the wrong frequency.

If you are talking about the DECimal number from the talk group area; like:
Code:
DEC HEX  Mode   Description 
48  003   A     Johnson County Sheriff -- ALL CALL
Then the answer is that is the number you use in a scanner for a talk group. Hold your mouse pointer over the title of the column for an explanation.

Status
Not open for further replies.