Extension speaker recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

wvd1979

I am looking for a basic extension speaker to use with my BC350C in my truck. Any suggestions? I am interested in good sound quality, not just the cheapest price.

N4JNW

RadioShack used to/maybe still does carry a nice extension speaker. The rear casing of it was plastic, and the grille was metal, and painted black.

I think they ran around 20 bucks or so.

Uniden also has some nice speakers, which would match your Uniden 350C. They have a big paw print on the grille, symbolizing their Bearcat logo.

I've used both. Sound quality is excellent from both. The only speakers I'd try to stay away from are those really little ones that are like 3" square.

w0fg

The RS speakers are quite decent, but my favorite would be a Motorola speaker. You can find 'em all the time on eBay for $20 or less.

Halfpint

Slightly NE of the People's Republic of Firestone
I recently decided to `upgrade?' my stack of scanner connected speakers I've got on the wall behind my stack of scanners. (IE: I needed to go from having only 6 out 12 radios hooked up to external speakers to having at least 10 hooked to external speakers. It was getting a tad bit hard to tell just which radio *in the stack* was squalking compared to which one hooked to an exteranl speaker. {WAN GRIN!}) Anyway... After running around to various so-called `radio shops' I was told at the last one that I might want to check out the RadioShack speaker RS# 21-549 @ $24.99.

I went and picked up a pair figuring that I'd give them a try and if they weren't quite what I was looking for I could at least use them out in one of my workshops as `noisemakers' for my driveway alarm or something similar. After hooking them up and having listened to them for a while, it's been about a month now, I have gone and picked up a couple more pairs of them and am intending to retire a cheap pair of old mini 2-way `no-name' speakers I bought back when I got my PRO-2004s which have always tended towards the rather striden side sound-wise. (The 2-ways have absolutely no bottom end and the top end has always seemed to be way to `bright' making assorted background noises over the air almost too much at times.) While these new RS speakers are not as good sounding as the OPTIMUS XTS-35s I have they are a tremendous inprovement over those old 2-ways and even as severely limited in range, 300Hz - 3KHz, as they are they are quite easy to listen to. About the only `gripes' I have with them is they have a series of `dimples' and `dots' around the mounting holes on the brackets and speakers that are supposed to be for locking them into position once they are tightened down that limit how fine one can adjust their `aiming' and they tend to sit quite `proud' of the surface they are mounted on with about 2" - 2½" between the back of the case and the bracket. I suppose that one could do what I am considering and go and drill a few extra `dimples' between the supplied ones to decrease the `granularity' of the adjustment or maybe just `live with' what they come with. Since they do actually stick out from the wall approximately the same as my other speakers *I* don't find their distance away from the wall not all that much of a problem but some may find that they might stick out further than they might want in a mobile situation. I know that I probably couldn't install a set in SWMBO's vehicle, 2006 LR3, but I could do so in several of my vehicles, pickups, without too much `exposure'. They come with a reasonably decent 10' cord with a straight, VS a right angle, 1/8" mono-mini-plug which should fit all but the weirdest external speaker or earphone jack. Also, even though the cases are plastic these are actually fairly heavy speakers as they have a quite heavy magnet which with the cone construction is probably one of the main reasons for the limited frequency response range.

All in all maybe not the cheapest speakers out there and while they do not have the same `mystique' or `industrial' constrution as something from `BatWings' or the like they are well worth their price.

Just an `Olde Fart's' 2¢ worth. {GRIN!}

Archie

If you buy used Motorola speakers from Ebay, the older metal ones are far suprior to the newer flatter versions as per advice given to me by a leading NYPD radio dealer.

And he is correct, the older one I bought is wonderful.

DickH

Archie said:
If you buy used Motorola speakers from Ebay, the older metal ones are far suprior to the newer flatter versions as per advice given to me by a leading NYPD radio dealer. And he is correct, the older one I bought is wonderful.

AND, they are designed specifically for the exact type of audio we monitor. You can't beat them.

jmp883

I agree with W0FG, those Motorola speakers have great audio.

I also agree with CARMELOF about those MFJ speakers. I have an MFJ-281 speaker in my truck hooked up to my Kenwood amateur radio and absolutely love the audio out of it. In fact I like the MFJ-281 so much I went out and bought two more for 2 of the 7 radios in my home shack :D

DSYCUTTER

Premium Subscriber
I have to agree with everyone. I won an auction for a lot of 10 speakers for I think it was like 25 bucks. All I had to do was add my own ends to the speakers. I have them everywhere, in my truck, in my office, in my bedroom, in my work truck.

Status
Not open for further replies.