Programming service from this website

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbalcomb

I am VERY new to programming my new Radio Shack Pro 97, and I hate to admit, but it is all way above my head. I found a link to a web site through a link here that offers to program your scanner with what you want. You can either mail them the scanner, or they will send you a computer file (if you have the cable and the software). Is this a legitimate company? I'm not into learing all the details of how to do it - I want the easy way out so I can just start listening!!!!
Thanks!

N4JNW

Save your money and do it yourself!

Don Starr has a program that makes it super easy to program your scanner! Go to RadioShack and pick up a cable for your scanner for about 20 bucks. Then, download his FREE trial of the software.

Use it to program your scanner, and then if you like it, buy a key from him, and enjoy it all the time.

The name of the software is Win97. I think the cost of the key to continue use of the software is about 20 bucks, and the cable is about 20 bucks, so why would you pay someone else to do it ONCE, when you can do it just as easy, and upgrade/change as many times as you want?

It's not hard, and please don't be intimidated by your Pro-97. Once you get the hang of it, it's a fairly simple scanner to use. Just takes some practice.

tbalcomb

Thanks, KG4JF - I've been trying to read about the Win97 software. I'm still a bit confused, but you say the program is fairly easy to use? I'm not computer illiterate, but I sure am scanner illiterate! I've had a Pro 23 for years, but it's just simple frequencies. I'm live in Katy, TX (Harris County) and I'm trying to figure out this STARNet thing and how to get those frequencies programmed in. Do you think the Win97 program will work for it? All I can figure out is it's analog and APCO-25 Common Air Interface (whatever the heck that means!)

BTW, if I'm posting on the wrong forum for these questions, someone please let me know!!!

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Tbalcomb, to use the web service, you need to be a paid subscriber. It's quite cheap - you can find out about it here However, if what you are trying to hear is APCO-25, then the 97 won't do it. Only those scanners listed here will decode digital transmissions.

For solid recommendations on which scanners folks use in your area, I'd suggest jumping down to the Texas forum, as well as finding out whether there are any Yahoo group(s) set up for Harris County Tx. It's quite likely there are. Between the 2, you should be able to get all the help you need.

73s Mike

Last edited:

N4JNW

Actually, to use the web service, you DON'T need to subscribe. The database is free for all to view.

If you become a paid subscriber, you can import the frequency listings into Win97, and upload to your scanner. I highly reccomend this. It's only $7.50 to become a subscriber and well worth the money!

If you live in an APCO-25 environment, the Pro-97 will be almost useless to you. You will need a digital capable scanner. Another RR member will chime in here and tell you what type of system you're under, or either I'll check when I post this.

Using the software is simple. If you can fill in cells in Microsoft Excel, and click and unclick a few check boxes, you'll be fine!

I do reccmend becoming a subscriber, but please know it's not a necessity to enjoy Radio Reference, or your scanner. I became a subscriber just because I know it's not free to keep this awesome site up and running.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
To view, yes, all is free. To download and use the web service, you need to be a paid subscriber.

There is a very active Yahoo group for the Houston area here Between the Texas forum here and that, I expect you will have more than enough help. 73s Mike

tbalcomb

kmacka, I meant to spell Pittston (lived in W. Pittston) - wish I was back there!

Others: thanks for the info - I'm really disappointed that the Pro-97 isn't going to do what Radio Shack told my husband it would, specifically pick up the local law enforcement group. It's going back to the store tomorrow until I can do more homework and get the one I need for my purposes.

Thanks for all the input! I'll check out the local postings to try to get more info.

Status
Not open for further replies.