Pro 97 or the pro 528

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went into radio shack today and they have both, only 20.00 dollar difference. In your opinion which is the better radio?

thanks,

getting closer to buying

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I've never used the '528, but I know there are some big differences in FEATURES between the two. The biggest feature to most people is the fact that you can add ALPHA TEXT TAGs to channels on the '97.

blackice

As an owner of a 528, I'm regretting not paying the difference for the 97. The alpha tagging is a big plus, and the ability to do PL tone decoding.

N4JNW

I have BOTH the Pro-97 and the 528'.

I'll admit, the text tags on the Pro-97 spoiled me. Once you use the text tagging, you'll fall in love, and wonder how you got along with before. Now here's the nitty gritty, the Pro-97 is a bit more difficult to program than the 528. If you want to use text tags, the Pro-97 will take quite a bit of programming by hand to get even 30 or 40 set up. There is however good news! There is software, that will allow you to program the 97, fully, including text tags with your computer.

Now the bad news, the Pro-97 is rumored to not be re-banding friendly. Meaning, If/when rebanding hits your area, and you're under a Motorola Trunked system, your 97 is useless. For scanning conventional frequencies, and an EDACS trunked system, the Pro-97 is the BOMB!

If you're going to be scanning conventional, or EDACS trunked only, Spend the extra green and grab the 97.

Now, on the other hand the Pro-528 IS rebanding friendly. That means you won't have to worry about it. It has been my understanding, an experience with my own scanners, the 528 is somewhat easier to program by hand. But, the 528 has NO text tagging, and NO PL tone capability. The 528 can also be programmed with computer software.

In the end, it just depends on where you live, what you want to hear, and what features you want. If you like the idea of text tagging, and PL tones, the 97 is your scanner.

If you want a scanner which is rebanding friendly, and programs easily, then grab the 528.

N4JNW

You are correct sir'.

You can thank Nextel for the rebanding mess. It's really too much to explain, but there are threads on it here.

Depending on where you live, and what type of systems you want to listen to, will show you how rebanding will affect you.

It is to my understanding EDACS and LTR won't be affected, and I think ONE of the Motorola systems won't be affected either. It's either Motorola Type II or Type I that will be affected by rebanding.

Someone please chime in and correct me if I'm wrong here..

Again, you may not even be in a trunked area. If you're in an area which is NOT trunked, then you don't have a whole lot to worry about unless you plan to travel and take your scanner to an area that IS trunked. This is a big deal to me, because I live in a conventional area, but I travel quite frequently to trunked areas, and I like to bring my scanner along.

Something else you might want to think about, when programming a trunked system into the Pro-97, instead of a series of numbers for the talkgroup ID, you can actually NAME the ID itself. So that way you know what you're listening to in a trunked system, other than seeing a wad of numbers on the scanner.

Check out the RR database, or tell us what state and county you live in and we can assist you further.

If you live in a digital area, forget the Pro-97 and Pro-528 all together. You'll be buying a Pro-96 if you want to listen to digital transmissions.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
or check out our digital scanners category page on the Wiki. Along with the PRO-96 are the PRO-2096 and the other Uniden digital scanners - just click on the desired model and away you go.

73s Mike

N4JNW

Yeah, the RadioShack Pro-96, and it's base/mobile brother the 2096, and the Uniden BC996 are top of the line digital scanners.

Expect to pay for them though, but expect performance. With a new digital scanner, you won't have to worry about rebanding, or being in a digital area, because they all (I think?) are rebanding compliant, plus they recieve almost (yes, I said almost) any type of transmission you're likely to encounter!

The Uniden 996 is the newest shizn*t out, and it's a hot scanner. It runs around $500 - $600 on the street, depending on where you buy, but if you splurge, you won't be sorry. I do not own one, but I HAVE played and fiddled with a friends, and buddy let me tell you , it's nothing short of awesome!

N4JNW

By the looks of things, you are on a Motorola Type II system. Someone chimein please and inform both of us if this is the one that will be impacted by rebanding?

Actually, it isn't as easy and keying in 3856. 3856 is the talkgroup for Spring Hill Sheriff. In order to HEAR them, you will need to program in the frequencies listed at the top of the page in the gray box, in order. Once you have these programmed, you will need to program in 3856 into the talkgroup memory, along with the other talkgroups you're interested in listening to.

Of course, you don't HAVE to program in any talkgroups. You can simply program in the frequencies and set the scanner to ID search, and anything that is aired within the system you will hear. However, if you have no interest in hearing.. say.. the road crews that are listed, you'll have to either lock them out, or program everything in you DO want to hear, and let the scanner scan the talkgroup memories instead of searching..

Confused yet? Welcome to Trunking 101.

DickH

KG4LJF said:
... I think ONE of the Motorola systems won't be affected either. It's either Motorola Type II or Type I that will be affected by rebanding.
Someone please chime in and correct me if I'm wrong here..

That's right, you're wrong. All non-digital Motorola systems will be affected by re-banding.

N4JNW

I thought it was one of the two.. but I never thought it was both... Cool.. Even I learned something from this thread!

listentolisten, Dick can give you insight on the 528 / 97 decision. He has a large group, and lots of experience with the 528 scanner!

when is this all to happen? will I get to use the scanner for awhile or am I throwing money away? thanks again

Olathe, kansas

mciupa

Database Admin
listentolisten said:
when is this all to happen? will I get to use the scanner for awhile or am I throwing money away? thanks again

Olathe, kansas

Kansas is scheduled for May 2008 , barring any delays. :(

So, now what do you think ? :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.