Which External Speaker is Right

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATnKIM

I have a Uniden BC250D radio and I would like an external speaker for it. I'd like one for my desk and one for my vehicle. Can anyone recommend one that is compatible with my radio? Thanks in Advance.

Thunderbolt

Global Database Administrator
Any modern Motorola 8-ohm speaker should work just fine with your scanner. In the past, Bose held the contract for Motorola's amplified and non-amplified speakers, and they sound fantastic. You can find plenty of them on e-Bay for sale. In fact, here is an example of the non-amplified 15 watt speaker in question.

The older Motorola metal speakers that are black, with a white face, and a red "M" that were designed for the Mocom 70, Motrac, or Motram radios, were manufactured in the 1960s, are rated at 3.2 ohms, at 7.5 watts. In order to use one of these great speakers, you would need to add a 10 watt, 5-ohm resister with the speaker wire, so the radio will see a balanced 8-ohm load. If not, you could over a period of time, damage the volume control on your scanner.

73's

Ron

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Thunderbolt said:
Any modern Motorola 8-ohm speaker should work just fine with your scanner. In the past, Bose held the contract for Motorola's amplified and non-amplified speakers, and they sound fantastic. You can find plenty of them on e-Bay for sale. In fact, here is an example of the non-amplified 15 watt speaker in question.

The older Motorola metal speakers that are black, with a white face, and a red "M" that were designed for the Mocom 70, Motrac, or Motram radios, were manufactured in the 1960s, are rated at 3.2 ohms, at 7.5 watts. In order to use one of these great speakers, you would need to add a 10 watt, 5-ohm resister with the speaker wire, so the radio will see a balanced 8-ohm load. If not, you could over a period of time, damage the volume control on your scanner.

73's

Ron

Good info.....

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Oh here we go again with the "which speaker is best" thing! Like the which scanner and which antenna which ad nauseum questions there is but ONE possible answer. The best is the one that works best for YOU, not the other guy. Somebody shoot me.

elk2370bruce

Warren is right. There are lots of good choices (depending on your ear) that do the job well and for small bucks. Paid $ 5.95 for a nice 8 ohm speaker, cord, and jack that works fine in scanners, dual band H/T and mobile rig.

PATnKIM

Ok, before I raise the ire of any more grouchy people let me clarify what I was after. I was only looking for recommendations of speakers that would be compatible and not damage my radio. I realize that "Best" is a very subjective quantifier and what is best for one may be garbage for another. Thank you to the first 3 posters, you've given me a direction to head in.

W9GC

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Thanks Thunderbolt, that is a bit of info I did not know.

Of course kb2vxa knew that, Warren is apparently one of those "almighty technician class operators" who knows everything there is to know and looks down upon those who have not yet ascended to his level of greatness. It's people like him that make the Amateur Radio community look like a bunch of stuck up "holier than thou" geeks.

It was a good question PATnKIM, keep learning and someday you may harbor the same level of almighty knowledge as kb2vxa.

madnachos

I picked up a Uniden ESP-20 speaker off eBay for under $20 including shipping and have found it to be quite good for the price. Its plastic but it is very solid and has a very good mount. I am currently using it with my BCT-15 and have been pleased with its performance. If your looking for something cheap I would suggest one.

Status
Not open for further replies.